+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Verizon iPhone Has Dual-Mode GSM/CDMA Chip

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Norb I personally would not mind opening my phones back cover to install a sim but I dunno how that goes with warranty and so on. Also
...
  1. #21
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 75 Times in 72 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    I personally would not mind opening my phones back cover to install a sim but I dunno how that goes with warranty and so on. Also with things like getting your phone online, they would have to preinstall it (I don't know how the process works as of now).
    I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally remove any hardware that connects to the SIM's metal contact surface/chip.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Yes but will they? Or will the "CDMA" version come as not allow GSM? Hmm...........that would be stupid but par for Apple
    I can see Apple having a GSM/WCDMA, CDMA-only, and a CDMA/GSM/WCDMA 'world' version to sell, all using the same hardware but differentiated by model IDs and software. The 'world' version selling for a bit more than the GSM or CDMA-only versions, just like the applicable versions of the Droid 2.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

  2. #22
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    I can't see Verizon selling a smart phone or let alone a iPhone that can some how be unlocked to their biggest competitors network. I agree some hardware will be absent. I'm sure that's printed 100 times in Verizon's contract with apple.

  3. #23
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,662
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 567 Times in 519 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    I can't see Verizon selling a smart phone or let alone a iPhone that can some how be unlocked to their biggest competitors network. I agree some hardware will be absent. I'm sure that's printed 100 times in Verizon's contract with apple.
    Technically, this device /can/ be unlocked to AT&T's network. The MDM6600 can be used on at least 850/1900/2100 MHz for WCDMA (that'd be HSPA+/UMTS; AT&T frequency-land) and I imagine it's quad-band (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) for GSM.

    The trick would be, of course, enabling the GSM/WCDMA radio, and convincing the device it has a SIM with a particular IMSI/ICCID (and probably IMEI too) without actually having a SIM card in there. Most likely, extremely illegal (IMEI cloning would be necessary).

    PS: You should also note this Qualcomm chip controls all GPS functionality as well, superseding the Broadcom BCM4750 in the iPad and N90 model.

  4. #24
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I figured I would chime in my thought on this.

    Most Verizon phone's that come out specially the world phones are GSM/CDMA capable, take for instance the World Droid, Blackberry Storm 1 and 2 and most newer blackberrys.

    I can almost promise that the iphone will more then likly be the same iphone from at&t to verizon, specially on next iPhone release.If verizon follows what sprint has been doing and what they have recently started to do. It will most likly have a LOCKED baseband. Meaning it will be a GSM/World CDMA phone. But the bands will only be for outside the USA even though it can support the USA bands verizon will more then likly have them locked out, so even if you sim unlock the phone will not pick up service untill the baseband is either replaced or modified.

    Droid World is like this
    Touch Pro 2 from sprint is like this..

  5. #25
    iPhoneaholic scroogelives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    They will still have to make a version with a SIM card tray and slot and a version without. Until the talked about built-in SIM, but I don't see iDevices having that this year and hopefully never.
    Most networks have ruled out sim less iphones, prob feel apple taking too much control!

  6. #26
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    How do you use them over seas? most phones unlock and then pop in a free sim over seas and pay as ya go.....................

    Sometimes why do we buy into apples crap?
    Probably a sim puncher. It cuts your sim into a micro sim. They sell those on eBay too.

  7. #27
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    Technically, this device /can/ be unlocked to AT&T's network. The MDM6600 can be used on at least 850/1900/2100 MHz for WCDMA (that'd be HSPA+/UMTS; AT&T frequency-land) and I imagine it's quad-band (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) for GSM.

    The trick would be, of course, enabling the GSM/WCDMA radio, and convincing the device it has a SIM with a particular IMSI/ICCID (and probably IMEI too) without actually having a SIM card in there. Most likely, extremely illegal (IMEI cloning would be necessary).

    PS: You should also note this Qualcomm chip controls all GPS functionality as well, superseding the Broadcom BCM4750 in the iPad and N90 model.
    Nice thanx for that info. I wonder if the hardware could be modified so a sim would fit.

  8. #28
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Mass
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    Probably a sim puncher. It cuts your sim into a micro sim. They sell those on eBay too.
    eBay, Helping China sell blackmarket goods to the masses at a discount.

    +1
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

  9. #29
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts

    I'm guessing they figured they make a heck of a lot more money if it's unlockable because iPhones cost 600 $ more

  10. #30
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    Lets see how BASIC this should be...
    10 IF the firmware for GSM is there then goto GOBI (dual chip)
    20 THEN goto hardwire mod for SIM
    GOTO 10

    RUN

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts