+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Genius Recommendations Come To iTunes Mobile

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 367 Times in 107 Posts

    Default Genius Recommendations Come To iTunes Mobile


    Genius recommendations were introduced back in iTunes 8 and now theyíre finally making their way onto the iPhone and iPod Touch versions as well. Apple now includes Genius recommendations with all mobile versions of the iTunes app. To use the Genius feature simply launch the iTunes app and go to the More tab. The Genius option is the last item listed. The nice thing about this new feature is the fact that you donít have to update the app to use it. Apple has already updated its servers so itís available to everyone now.

    Genius recommendations are generated by analyzing the songs and videos in your iTunes library. It then attempts to give you recommendations for new content that you might enjoy. It can give you song, movie or TV show suggestions and letís you preview song selections before buying. You can rate selections either thumbs up or thumbs down, by swiping on the title to the right, similarly to how you delete emails.



    iTunes mobile has always been a rather slimmed down version of the app. Now that Genius recommendations are finally available on mobile devices, the differences between the desktop version and the mobile versions are one step closer to offering the same conveniences. This may be a minor improvement to the iTunes mobile app, but it is a welcomed one.

    Source: Apple

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

    turkey26 (02-07-2011)

  3. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    The Genius feature really needs to be re-named. It is quite stupid to say the least. With as long as it has been out you would think the suggestions would at least be in the ballpark in regards to what they are compared to. I love the idea, but it's implementation is horrible.

  4. #3
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,386
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 468 Times in 380 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    The Genius feature really needs to be re-named. It is quite stupid to say the least. With as long as it has been out you would think the suggestions would at least be in the ballpark in regards to what they are compared to. I love the idea, but it's implementation is horrible.
    I haven't really tried it for music yet, but I don't think I've kept a single app it recommended. You'd think Google searches would get better by now too :/

  5. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Instead of keeping up with the news how about you fix the problems with all the Repos...?

  6. #5
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,386
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 468 Times in 380 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Herbie View Post
    Instead of keeping up with the news how about you fix the problems with all the Repos...?
    You do realize they have writers AND server handlers, right? And they only control one repo, not "all the repos".

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

    Major Herbie (02-06-2011)

  8. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    You do realize they have writers AND server handlers, right? And they only control one repo, not "all the repos".
    I do but atm i'm just trolling untill i can download what i've paid for. Also the (s) was a typo

  9. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,227
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Herbie View Post
    Instead of keeping up with the news how about you fix the problems with all the Repos...?
    Seriously? Relax, the problem will be fixed...but the staff writers aren't going to be the ones doing it, they're keeping us updated on the news.

    Anyway, never really used Genius, cool that its on the iPhone now though.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

    Major Herbie (02-06-2011)

  11. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Seriously? Relax, the problem will be fixed...but the staff writers aren't going to be the ones doing it, they're keeping us updated on the news.

    Anyway, never really used Genius, cool that its on the iPhone now though.
    I know, I know but i really wanna get everything downloaded and sorted before i have to go to work and atm i'm acting a little like a spoilt rich kid but hey.

  12. #9
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,386
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 468 Times in 380 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Herbie View Post
    I do but atm i'm just trolling untill i can download what i've paid for. Also the (s) was a typo
    Well I guess it's not as bad as you thinking they manage more than one repo. I'm pretty annoyed about the refresh not working, but they usually do a good job of getting it fixed in a day or so. I'm kinda glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

    Major Herbie (02-06-2011)

  14. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,227
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Herbie View Post
    I know, I know but i really wanna get everything downloaded and sorted before i have to go to work and atm i'm acting a little like a spoilt rich kid but hey.
    It can be quite the hassle putting everything back on, its time consuming and annoying at times.

  15. #11
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,386
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 468 Times in 380 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    It can be quite the hassle putting everything back on, its time consuming and annoying at times.
    Which is why I wrote my own Unix script for that . I didn't want to deal with that.

  16. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Well I guess it's not as bad as you thinking they manage more than one repo. I'm pretty annoyed about the refresh not working, but they usually do a good job of getting it fixed in a day or so. I'm kinda glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this.
    Yeah, for me it's ModMyi, BigBoss and Cydia it's self. Really p!ssing me off because it keeps comming up with messages while i'm doing other things because it's trying to continue the download or something. I just want to get it all sorted before work and relax.

  17. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,227
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Which is why I wrote my own Unix script for that . I didn't want to deal with that.
    I could use something like that! That's really cool!

  18. #14
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts

    What a pointless post

  19. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Sem656 View Post
    What a pointless post
    Stop trying to insult people.

  20. #16
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,386
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 468 Times in 380 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Herbie View Post
    Stop trying to insult people.
    I guess he's just trying to insult Genius

  21. #17
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Herbie View Post
    Stop trying to insult people.
    You're an idiot. That's an insult.

  22. #18
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,386
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 468 Times in 380 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Sem656 View Post
    You're an idiot.
    Isn't that an insult?

    oh I get what you're saying now. Sorry

  23. #19
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts

    Lol

  24. #20
    Go Giants whereswaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,382
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 359 Times in 257 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I haven't really tried it for music yet, but I don't think I've kept a single app it recommended. You'd think Google searches would get better by now too :/
    It's app suggestions are awful, but its song suggestions are quite good. Ive found some great songs from it
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts