+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Sets Record First-Day Sales with iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by mahatmt So will there be lots of disappointed iPhone 4 owners come July and again in July 2012 when they still can't upgrade? no one said the
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmt View Post
    So will there be lots of disappointed iPhone 4 owners come July and again in July 2012 when they still can't upgrade?
    no one said the iPhone 5 will be available for verizon in July. It probably wont be out until next year around this time for Verizon..

ATT will still be the Summer release..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I use BB for work and have my personal iphone.
    The BB is basically an email machine but stil hard to use IMO!

Thanks
    Has anyone noticed that the picture for this article is not the CDMA iPhone, it's the GSM model the difference is the antenna on the left side.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanski View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the picture for this article is not the CDMA iPhone, it's the GSM model the difference is the antenna on the left side.
    I didn't know there were 2 gsm builds...

EDITED: maybe I'm just horrible at reading I'm pretty sure you said that was not the CDMA iPhone.

EDIT #2: I thought you were copying that picture from the article, I see what your saying.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwil736 View Post
    I didn't know there were 2 gsm builds...
    The top one is CDMA (verizon), the bottom one is GSM (AT&T etc.)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    So if their server crashed with all the iPhone pre-orders that must not bode well for their network being able to handle the load...

I don't see how a web server having any kind of issue, has ANYTHING to do with the cellular network. You DO realize they are separate items all together...Right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viriiguy View Post
    I don't see how a web server having any kind of issue, has ANYTHING to do with the cellular network. You DO realize they are separate items all together...Right?
    Verizon has said they're prepared for the iPhone from a network standpoint. Seems like they would be prepared from a server/site standpoint as well but guess not. They're separate items, sure, but I do think they correlate to what he's saying.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    Verizon has said they're prepared for the iPhone from a network standpoint. Seems like they would be prepared from a server/site standpoint as well but guess not. They're separate items, sure, but I do think they correlate to what he's saying.

In their defense, Not many web servers do well under that kind of a load. We are not talking about a gradual increase in traffic.. what they encountered was similar to a Denial Of Service attack.

I have been a Verizon user since moving back to the states two years ago. I absolutely HATE their customer support. HATE HATE HATE. But then, ATT customer support has never done me any favors either.

But I do love their coverage. This is why my employer uses them. They are already the largest cellular carrier in the US. I have no doubts they are ready for the iPhone on their network.

Hopefully i don't eat those words.

Thanks

In their defense, Not many web servers do well under that kind of a load. We are not talking about a gradual increase in traffic.. what they encountered was similar to a Denial Of Service attack.

I have been a Verizon user since moving back to the states two years ago. I absolutely HATE their customer support. HATE HATE HATE. But then, ATT customer support has never done me any favors either.

But I do love their coverage. This is why my employer uses them. They are already the largest cellular carrier in the US. I have no doubts they are ready for the iPhone on their network.

Hopefully i don't eat those words.
    T-Mo has the best customer service I've ever encountered in any area, not just cellular. I have no complaints with ATT at all though. I love their service.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    Finally someone who is smart enough to get the gist of what I was inferring. If they can't even handle a couple million (or whatever the real number was) pre-orders even though they had plenty of time to prepare without the site crashing then what makes anyone think their network will stand up to the onslaught that iPhones bring upon a cellular network?

Before you go and say "yeah but all those iPhones won't be trying to connect at once" keep in mind that lets say there were 2 million pre-orders and then Verizon ends up with say 15 million iPhone users. At any point in time 1 or 2 million iPhones could be trying to do something remotely data-intensive. Just food for thought.

Kinda like...if you can't spell "cat" or "dog" then what makes anyone think you can spell "antidisestablishmentarianism"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alexevo For This Useful Post:

DaCodec (02-05-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Finally someone who is smart enough to get the gist of what I was inferring. If they can't even handle a couple million (or whatever the real number was) pre-orders even though they had plenty of time to prepare without the site crashing then what makes anyone think their network will stand up to the onslaught that iPhones bring upon a cellular network?

Before you go and say "yeah but all those iPhones won't be trying to connect at once" keep in mind that lets say there were 2 million pre-orders and then Verizon ends up with say 15 million iPhone users. At any point in time 1 or 2 million iPhones could be trying to do something remotely data-intensive. Just food for thought.

Kinda like...if you can't spell "cat" or "dog" then what makes anyone think you can spell "antidisestablishmentarianism"
    It's an easy enough word to spell. It has many syllables but the spelling is straightforward. I would think most people would stumble over spelling Mephistopheles or pronunciation rather than antidisestablishmentarianism. Just sayin.

Lastly, both Verizon's and AT&T's activation and ordering servers run through their hardlines and backhauls, not over their wireless networks, so the analogy is meaningless.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    I admit if the Iphone 5 has dual processors I want it........As long as I can JB
    We had to wait a whole month for the initial iPhone 4 jailbreak (not ********, just saying) Something tells me the iPhone 5 or whatever it's called- will not be jailbroken very quickly. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait for months. Yes, I said months. Unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parksidej View Post
    I love android and iOS...and windows mobile...and bb lol. They all have their strengths and I use all of them. It's nice to have choices.
    Sounds like you're easily pleased.
    Me, I'm easily displeased by cruddy phones - which is why I can't get on with Android and (even more) WinMo phones.
    The only phones worth their salt are JB'n 3GS's and 4's.

That said, I still like my old Nokia N95-8GB for communications.
    My iPhone is for everything else.

Android phones are better with traditional rather than (so-called) touch-sensitive buttons.
    If they could even get that right, I might consider trying out a Honeycomb device.
    The problem nearly all the manuf'rs have is that they use geeks rather than real people to make design calls.
    Bad idea.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I work with BB's, Droids and iPhones in my job.
    Want to guess which phone I RARELY get calls and complaints on? The iPhone.

Want to guess which phones lose the Exchange link regularly? The Droid.

Want to guess which phones require special software to USE the Exchange system? Blackberry.

Yea, iPhone wins hands down in my book and in the book of my clients. Nearly everyone who does not have an iPhone, ask me how to make the boss buy them an iPhone

16. The Following User Says Thank You to viriiguy For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (02-05-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    Grow up

Just wait till VeriPhone customers use their mobile hotspot feature and start missing all calls and text messages since EV-DO cannot do data and voice simultaneously... Can you hear me now? Ummm, No... Didn't know u called...
    Yeah, bit doesn't EVDO put data sessions "on hold" when a call comes in? (I'm not a verizon user so I am only speaking on what I've heard.) So they won't miss calls while using the hotspot feature, but that would have to suck for all data to stop because the phone rings. But I guess most verizon users have gotten used to it.

Thanks

I work with BB's, Droids and iPhones in my job.
    Want to guess which phone I RARELY get calls and complaints on? The iPhone.

Want to guess which phones lose the Exchange link regularly? The Droid.

Want to guess which phones require special software to USE the Exchange system? Blackberry.

Yea, iPhone wins hands down in my book and in the book of my clients. Nearly everyone who does not have an iPhone, ask me how to make the boss buy them an iPhone
    Let's not get it twisted, no phone to date handles MS Exchange as well or better than a BB. BB began as a business offering and has only in the last few years tried to shift gears and go after the consumer market to some degree.

I have used a few android phones for exchange and they are ok. Not sure what "link" you are talking about them losing since Microsoft Direct Push sends a system message to the phone telling it to grab mail unless you have it set to grab mail on a certain frequency. My problem is that some of the most useful features are not enabled across the board like "out of office." why should I have to install a separate app to set it?

The iPhone has the similar shortcoming in it's exchange implementation. The most annoying thing about the iPhone though is that you are stuck with the same email signature for your accounts with the stock mail program.

All phones and OS's have their strengths and weaknesses. You just have to base which one you get on what is most important to you.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ReggieSmith For This Useful Post:

Darrius777 (02-06-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
    Sounds like you're easily pleased.
    Me, I'm easily displeased by cruddy phones - which is why I can't get on with Android and (even more) WinMo phones.
    The only phones worth their salt are JB'n 3GS's and 4's.

That said, I still like my old Nokia N95-8GB for communications.
    My iPhone is for everything else.

Android phones are better with traditional rather than (so-called) touch-sensitive buttons.
    If they could even get that right, I might consider trying out a Honeycomb device.
    The problem nearly all the manuf'rs have is that they use geeks rather than real people to make design calls.
    Bad idea.
    I understand your point. IMO iOS is superior to all I was just saying the 'others' have strong points also and I like to switch things up sometimes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Least they'll be able to talk on their daum phone without calling someone back 4 times.

and ooooo lookie, real 3g instead of edge every 30 feet you go.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Least they'll be able to talk on their daum phone without calling someone back 4 times.

and ooooo lookie, real 3g instead of edge every 30 feet you go.
    Sorry, but real 3G does simultaneous voice and data.
    Welcome to the 20th century.
    Most of Europe's on the cusp of 4G, while America still waits on proper 3G.

What's Jailbreak? Monkey Johannon's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting record set...was quite curious how the customer base was going to respond to the iPhone 4 being released only a handful of months before the "supposed" new iPhone is coming, but i guess the hype was enough to get the people in the cue line for it.
    "Choosing the lesser of two evils...is still choosing evil." - Jerry Garcia