+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.3 Release Next Week?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apparently inadvertent comments by a couple of journalists have fed speculation that the iOS 4.3 will drop in in a week to ten days . Articles by Wall Street Journal
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS 4.3 Release Next Week?

Apparently inadvertent comments by a couple of journalists have fed speculation that the iOS 4.3 will drop in in a week to ten days. Articles by Wall Street Journal and New York Times writers both mentioned February 13 as the day AT&T will support Personal Hotspot tethering on its version of the iPhone, which would require a firmware upgrade. The date has since been deleted from both reviews, but other lines of evidence support a 4.3 release sooner rather than later.

In his review of the new Verizon iPhone 4, David Pogue of the New York Times made note of the Personal Hotspot feature as a selling point for the device. "Many other app phones have it - AT&T's iPhone gets it on Feb. 13 - but Apple's execution is especially nice," he wrote. "For example, the hot spot shuts itself off 90 seconds after the last laptop disconnects. The phrase with the date in it has now been edited to just say "AT&T says its iPhone will get it soon." It could be that he got the date wrong - February 13 is a Sunday - or that he spilled the beans earlier than AT&T wanted him to.

Other hints for an imminent release come from Apple insider Jon Gruber, who thinks that in-app subscriptions for apps like The Daily will require an iOS upgrade. Since the Daily is free for the next two weeks, thanks to a sponsorship from Verizon of all people, Gruber says he believes it was part of a deal where Verizon gets to be the only carrier with Personal Hotspot for a couple of weeks. The iOS upgrade enabling tethering as well as subscriptions, the reasoning goes, would come out around the time Verizon iPhones actually ship, at the end of next week. Even though the Daily app can apparently handle subscriptions now, as Federico Viticci at MacStories found, it's not clear that any other app has access to those APIs.

A separate rumor has Apple announcing the April release of the iPad 2 as a "one more thing" at the event where iOS 4.3 is unveiled. This one from MacNotes doesn't really pass the smell test: if Apple announces an upgraded iPad next week, sales of the current model would plummet, and a lot of customers might go with a PlayBook or Galaxy Tab rather than wait. It's much more likely that Apple will pick a date close to the actual release to announce the new version, sometime around the year anniversary of the original iPad on April 3.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

turkey26 (02-03-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel like throwing down a date when you are a reputable reviewer is a pretty heavy thing to do; not something that gets done by accident or without thinking. Even if he got the date wrong, he meant to give a date in that range.

Thanks

I miss the good old days where the firmware was not as mature and each firmware was filled with a ton of new features.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have been using the beta release of 4.3 for about a month now, and I have an AT&T Tethering plan. The personal hotspot works well. I have tested it with the iPad and my Laptop. Seems to work pretty seamless.

Only thing I would like to change is the Broadcast SSID, which is the Phone's Name.

Thanks

The Verizon being the only carrier for personal hotspot for two weeks makes no sense. The iPhone drops on the 10th and this firmware the 13th. That's 3 days of "only carrier with personal hotspot" by my count.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

No one knows for sure, just more speculation...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    I miss the good old days where the firmware was not as mature and each firmware was filled with a ton of new features.
    You miss waiting a year and a half for cut and paste hoping that the next update would give it to you?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    You miss waiting a year and a half for cut and paste hoping that the next update would give it to you?
    Not exactly just miss having new features to be excited about. Each update has not done too much as of late.

Thanks

Not exactly just miss having new features to be excited about. Each update has not done too much as of late.
    Usually its just the X.0 releases (2.0, 3.0 etc) that really introduce anything worthwhile. The rest are usually just house-keeping or minor updates.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

To bad I'll have to break my Unlimited data ... Eff That, MiWi 4 Life !!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What are you talking about? 4.x has introduced new mobile me features, HDR, game center, plus a few others slipping my mind right now! Mobile hotspot is great and so is, albeit an immature implementation and already broken one at that of ASLR it's there! I'm still on 4.1 but you should check the release notes from 4.0 through 4.3b! These incremental updates have added more features than apple ever has in such an update!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just a little heads up: greenpois0n is out!

Thanks

I for 1 hope this happens so they can start working on a unlock for the iPhone 4....

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    Usually its just the X.0 releases (2.0, 3.0 etc) that really introduce anything worthwhile. The rest are usually just house-keeping or minor updates.
    OR breaking jailbroken phones...

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

im just going to wait since i need a jailbreak and i use miwi anyway with ondemand too
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

why would they be intimidated by the playbook and galaxy tab imo if its very good it will stop people from going to the opposition.

PM me if u think my sigs nice