+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Adding 2GB Extra Data to DataPro +Tethering Plan

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
AT&T announced today that they will be extending its DataPro + Tethering Mobile Internet plan for smartphones from 2 GB to 4 GB. This news comes as a pleasant surprise,
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default AT&T Adding 2GB Extra Data to DataPro + Tethering Plan

AT&T announced today that they will be extending its DataPro + Tethering Mobile Internet plan for smartphones from 2 GB to 4 GB. This news comes as a pleasant surprise, particularly for current iPhone users who are looking jealously at Verizon's unlimited data + 2GB tethering plans.

The change will take affect February 13th, and comes out just as AT&T prepares to launch their first 4G phone, as well their well-documented loss of iPhone exclusivity. It is unknown at this time whether this will affect the 'mobile hotspot' feature found on iOS 4.3, the next version of iOS that is currently in beta and only available to devs.

AT&T will automatically add the additional 2GB of monthly data usage to smartphone customers already on a tethering plan - at no extra charge.
    This change does bring some added value to one of the two current iPhone data plans on AT&T. For iPhone users, this means the $45/month will allow for 4GB of data, the most currently available (unless you were grandfathered into the old unlimited plan.)

It looks like AT&T is continuing to make every effort to entice current customers with new perks in order to maintain its customer base that grew substantially during their good ol' days of iPhone exclusivity.

Source:
    Press Release
    MacRumors
    image: mashable.com
    Last edited by Matt Savoca; 02-03-2011 at 12:07 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Savoca For This Useful Post:

Sarge78 (02-03-2011), turkey26 (02-02-2011)

Thanks
    att needs to bring back unlimited data plan!! otherwise many will switch
    iphone zombie

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So, 45 dollars for 4GB. Yuck. I swear I'd leave but I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan (5GB) at 30 dollars. I have the best deal I could possibly ask for money wise, but the phones on these other networks are really starting to call out to me, lol.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Green Apple
    Thanks
    More data on the $15 plan would be nice too. I chose the 200MB plan cause I'm mostly always in an area with Wifi, but it'd nonetheless be nice to have some more versatility with the cheaper plan. 500MB sounds fair.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Grandfathered and MyWi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Give me unlimited data or give me death! (aka Verizon)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I bet "Grandfathered in" won't mean sh1t in June when the 5th gen iPhone drops. I put money on it you will have to have a new "4g plan" to get the new phone the way they did then the 3G came out. Even if you don't have 4G in your area.

My iPhone is a Part of Me primalscream.40's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RyanWS View Post
    Grandfathered and MyWi
    +1 total agree

Thanks

Yup, grandfathered in and, lol, MyWi. Pulling 10GB in 2 days over AT&T 3G this past summer was one of the more fun times I've had with my iPad in recent memory.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What I don't understand is if they had the ability to do this in the first place why didn't they? It was so easy for them to just announce 'hey, here's an extra 2 GBs on us.' So why would they not have just done it from the get go? This makes it even more obvious that it is just a flip of the switch to them to allow tethering and more overhead. What I am waiting for is for them to turn on my tethering with my unlimited plan. Yes it is nice to have MyWi, but I would like to have a 'legal' way to do it should the time ever come that I have an UNjailbreakable iPhone...if that rant makes any sense...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This should have been done on their own rather than in response to Verizon. It makes not sense to pay $25 a month more to be able to use your same capped data on another device with no added benefit. At least for people who weren't grandfathered in this makes a little bit more sense to be adding an additional 2GB. It just bugs me they're doing this because of their fear of losing customers. That's AT&T mentality though; do just enough so existing customers don't leave but never more.

I just hope Verizon still has unlimited data come this June/July when the iPhone 5 is set to be released. Otherwise it's not worth it to me to switch. Just barely of course, which is AT&T's intension.
    Last edited by kraziebone; 02-02-2011 at 04:43 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone KBI2113's Avatar
    Thanks

Grandfathered? I like the word. I'm a grandfather in my 20's!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efi2nr View Post
    I bet "Grandfathered in" won't mean sh1t in June when the 5th gen iPhone drops. I put money on it you will have to have a new "4g plan" to get the new phone the way they did then the 3G came out. Even if you don't have 4G in your area.
    Let's just hope the iPhone 5 will have 4G capability. Apple is typically slow to adopt new standards. When they announced the iPhone it only had Edge capability (2.5G) but 3G had been out for sometime

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Grandfathered and Mywi = Awesome !!!

1 GB = $15 would be Awesome also!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    Let's just hope the iPhone 5 will have 4G capability. Apple is typically slow to adopt new standards. When they announced the iPhone it only had Edge capability (2.5G) but 3G had been out for sometime
    I thought it was confirmed that the iPhone 5 Would NOT be 4g capable
    Last edited by santacruzlocal; 02-02-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Hahaha... That's what all those sheep people get! Hopping on the iPhone bandwagon just because it's cool. This ought to teach them to stop flowing trends and relying on subsidize phones! The true iPhone users will pay retail and jailbreak there device to use it to it's full potential. I'm grandfather in at unlimited everything for $65 a month off contract. Again, if you are in a contract, you don't own your phone. If your iPhone is not jailbreak, you don't own your phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

at&t needs to make a commercial showing some cool jailbroken apps and how you can customize your phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    Grandfathered and Mywi = Awesome !!!

1 GB = $15 would be Awesome also!!!

I thought it was confirmed that the iPhone 5 Would NOT be 4g capable
    I hope not! Fast speeds + caps = fail.
    Apple need to open up completely and start using five band radio chips like Nokia 850/900/1700/1900/2100!

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by datomicpenguin View Post
    at&t needs to make a commercial showing some cool jailbroken apps and how you can customize your phone.
    Lol that would be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

AT&T is going to go nowhere fast if they continue to jerk us, their loyal customers.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

If AT&T doesn't want to lose anymore customers, they need to increase Data on ALL plans, not just those who tether.

Or, at least give me rollover data. I use about 1GB a month, I'd like to keep the other gig that I pay for.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast