+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 Displays Surface

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Photos of a supposed iPad 2 touchscreen are making the rounds today, courtesy of a repair shop with parts suppliers in China. They are not Retina Displays, in line with
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad 2 Displays Surface

Photos of a supposed iPad 2 touchscreen are making the rounds today, courtesy of a repair shop with parts suppliers in China. They are not Retina Displays, in line with recent reports, but are apparently thinner 1024 x 768 IPS screens. Meanwhile, an industry research firm claims to have uncovered evidence that Apple intends to corner the market on advanced LCD displays.

The rumor mill pushed the idea that the iPad 2 would have a Retina Display, a story fed by discoveries of higher resolution graphics in the iBooks app. However, that rumor collapsed under its own weight, as LCD screens high-resolution enough to be called Retina Displays would be too expensive and require too much graphics horsepower to be reasonable for a tablet. Instead, Apple was said to be looking at a thinner, lighter screen for the new device.

A replacement screen that 9to5Mac got from iFixYouri - an iDevice repair shop in Florida and Somerville, Mass. - is apparently an LG Phillips 9.7-inch XGA 1024 x 768 high-aperture-ratio IPS display. It's about a millimeter thinner than current displays and is said to be "significantly lighter." It also has a thinner surrounding frame, which would support the rumors about a tapered design that have been suggested by leaked iPad 2 cases coming out of Asia.

Many observers believe Apple is looking to the third- or fourth-generation iPad to have true Retina Displays. And a report from market research firm iSuppli indicates that Apple is spending billions of dollars to lock in its supplies of high-resolution screens from LG Display, Sharp Corp. and Toshiba Mobile Display. The analysis by iSuppli suggests that Apple wants to corner the market in advanced in-plane switching (IPS) and low-temperature polysilicon (LTPS) technology. With Samsung's active matrix organic light-emitting diode (AMOLED) displays going mostly into its own products, this may mean that very few other manufacturers will have access to high-resolution displays.

Source: 9to5Mac

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

nomercy413 (02-02-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

who cares honestly?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ NiveK For This Useful Post:

freshster (02-02-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJ NiveK View Post
    who cares honestly?
    I could be going out on a limb here but I'm assuming those who are interested in the iPad 2
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Green Apple
    Thanks

who cares honestly?
    People that are interested in iPad 2...

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Umm so its just thinner? Same resolution? What a disappointment if this is true. Thinner and lighter will be nice but come on!!!! We need more pixels!!! What a rip

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Who cares about a better display, iPad 2 is going to be the shiznittle bam snip-snap-sack

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluprint For This Useful Post:

iamutman (02-02-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    Who cares about a better display, iPad 2 is going to be the shiznittle bam snip-snap-sack
    That was stupid. And yeah who cares if it gets upgraded. If it's the exact same and has a 2 after the name it will be way better!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Can't wait to see what Apple will come up with. Rumors can give you a good idea of what a future iDevice will look like but you'll never know until it's actually released. I love/hate this suspense and just can't wait no longer, I really wanna see if there going to surprise me or if i'm just going to say " yea I knew that was going to happen".

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

kind of glad they didn't put a retina display on this as i am sure it would not be sold for $499 if it did. i bet they'll do it for the 3rd generation though once prices go down...

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

only a millimeter thinner this dont really sound very Apple like now half as thin as the original iPad would be a huger accomplishment

Thanks

then what is really gonna make me upgrade?? A camera and a dual core processor?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to justinpotter81 For This Useful Post:

codvisp (02-02-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fventura03 View Post
    kind of glad they didn't put a retina display on this as i am sure it would not be sold for $499 if it did. i bet they'll do it for the 3rd generation though once prices go down...
    If you look at how Apple does product refreshes they NEVER increase prices no matter what upgrades they put in. They keep the same price point while give you micro-upgrades... just enough to make you buy the newest one... but not enough to justify a price increase.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    only a millimeter thinner this dont really sound very Apple like now half as thin as the original iPad would be a huger accomplishment
    They said the screen is a mm thinner. Doesn't mean the whole iPad 2 won't be even thinner

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sem656 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (02-02-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Dual core CPU, dual core GPU, 2 cameras, 512MB RAM, and thinner overall design. Sounds like just enough to make me upgrade but not quite enough to make me giddy... typical
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Sem656 (02-02-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I never got the iPad but for sure getting iPad 2!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

who cares honestly?
    Well, I for one really care. An iPad would be perfect for my dad's birthday... if it had a retina display. I have actually held out because I had hoped that the iPad2 would have a retina display and facetime. My iPhone 4's screen is really amazing, and makes reading much easier. It's just a bit small to use as a reading device. My dad STILL prints out things from online to read on paper because he doesn't like reading on screens because it hurts his eyes.

My dad is a huge reader, and an e-reader would be perfect for him. The iPad would be the best choice hands down because of all of it's extra functionality, and with the rumored facetime integration paired with his first grandchild on the way would be the perfect gift. But this is all for naught if it won't suffice as an e-reader do to it's lower resolution.

So to recap, yeah, some people care.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Dual core CPU, dual core GPU, 2 cameras, 512MB RAM, and thinner overall design. Sounds like just enough to make me upgrade but not quite enough to make me giddy... typical
    Sounds good to me

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    My thoughts too

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    My thoughts too
    I'm glad we are in agreement

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i just thought: if ipad 2 had a retina display, what massive apps for it would be! sure, that would be beautiful - high definition image on a great big screen but who will be making that? companies like gameloft or EA - maybe, but what about ordinary programmers?
    i think that ipad2 does not need retina.
    higher productivity - yes, cameras - great but retina - i don't think so.