+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Macworld Staffer Admits Jailbreaking, Posts Tutorial

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Macworld staffer Christopher Breen revealed yesterday that he had to jailbreak his iPad in order to project the screen display for the iPad Supersession he did with Ben Long at
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Macworld Staffer Admits Jailbreaking, Posts Tutorial

Macworld staffer Christopher Breen revealed yesterday that he had to jailbreak his iPad in order to project the screen display for the iPad Supersession he did with Ben Long at last week's Macworld. In a lengthy post, Breen provided detailed instructions for how to do a jailbreak - in a first for the mainstream Macworld.com - and highlighted Ryan Petrich's DisplayOut.

Breen had used an Elmo overhead projector last year to display the iPhone's screen at his Supersession at Macworld 2010. This was "which is less than ideal," Breen wrote in his explanation of why he chose to jailbreak the iPad this year, "because the image can be fuzzy." For the two hour Supersession focused on the iPad this year, Breen and Long wanted a better solution so that attendees could see the screen clearly. For that, he had to use Apple's $29 iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter, jailbreak, and download DisplayOut from Cydia. With the justification out of the way, Breen then goes on to publish over a thousand words detailing exactly how to do a tethered jailbreak of an iPad using redsn0w, search Cydia and download and install DisplayOut. He even points out that it's better to manually reboot your device instead of letting Cydia do it for you.

For Macworld - the original Mac magazine, which started a quarter-century ago and outlived or bought out most of its competitors - this is a significant change. The magazine and website regularly publish Apple-sourced FUD about jailbreaking, so it's a big deal for them to feature a JB tutorial in a post that concludes "we'll all celebrate the day when an untethered jailbreak is fully baked."

Source: MacWorld
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 02-01-2011 at 10:11 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

ChaiMuengChuaySoh (02-02-2011), reaves205 (02-01-2011)

Thanks

Haha I guess not all of them are like Sinbad.

Why is it better to manually reboot?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Apple: 0
    Cydia: 1

The battle has just begun.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

Ha thats some funny sh*t app store has nothing on Cydia (apart from more but useless apps)

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Why is it better to manually reboot?
    His reason is that for a tethered jailbreak, cydia's reboot will stick you at an apple logo.

I've heard conflicting reports about that; some people can use the device, just not unsigned / relocated apps, but it makes sense. If you need to boot tethered, cydia's reboot doesn't get you there.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    His reason is that for a tethered jailbreak, cydia's reboot will stick you at an apple logo.

I've heard conflicting reports about that; some people can use the device, just not unsigned / relocated apps, but it makes sense. If you need to boot tethered, cydia's reboot doesn't get you there.
    Oh I see.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillstar12 View Post
    Ha thats some funny sh*t app store has nothing on Cydia (apart from more but useless apps)
    App Store with useless apps? I disagree Air Video for streaming from Mac to iOS device of your choice then AirView for streaming video between iphone to ipad or vice versa, and HPiPrint for wireless printing from any IOS device regardless of firmware. My iPad or iPhone 4 are currently not jailbroken. I'm waiting for an untethered solution.

Thanks

wow
    Give a thanks if I was helpful!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You pull out of our media event? We'll start giving your products coverage you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Archness For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (02-03-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archness View Post
    You pull out of our media event? We'll start giving your products coverage you don't want.
    Heh, was thinking the same thing. Total win for Jailbreaking, and a total pooch screw for apple.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (02-03-2011)

Thanks

PROGRESS is a beautiful thing! Why be held back by Apple's Gustapo tactics?? hahahhaa!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

If apple would just implement the tweaks that are available in Cydia we would not have any reason to jailbreak, but they dont soooooo F U apple! I DO WHAT I WANT, NOT WHAT YOU WANT! i mean come on, Sbsettings, Pull to refresh mail and safari, hometab in safari, unlimtones, Winterboard, Multifl0w. Disable Multitasking 4.x.x (cuz crapples multitasking BLOWS, i want to be able to choose what app i want to stay open damn it). Jailbreaking FTW. I could go on about jailbreak apps but i will be here all day, and you all already know whats up, or you would not be on this site in the first place. Ciao!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for mentioning my article, but I have to take issue with your characterization that discussing jailbreaking is a significant change for Macworld.

Ben and I wrote one of the very first jailbreaking tutorials (back in the bad old days when Terminal was the only way in) that was published on Macworld.com. Rob Griffiths and I wrote more than a couple of times that we've found jailbreaking to be quite useful in our work (and play). And last year I wrote what I hope was a balanced view on the pros and cons of jailbreaking:

Jailbreaking your iPhone: The pros and cons | Mobile | iOS Central | Macworld

Ben and I also routinely talk about jailbreaking in our Macworld Expo sessions (yes, even when Apple was there).

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Breen For This Useful Post:

GreenMachine (02-01-2011), jasvncnt10 (02-02-2011), Jcbzr (02-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Breen View Post
    Rob Griffiths and I wrote more than a couple of times that we've found jailbreaking to be quite useful in our work (and play).
    Apple should listen up and implement these changes if people, such as yourself, approve of particular jailbroken apps/tweaks that improve performance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    Apple should listen up and implement these changes if people, such as yourself, approve of particular jailbroken apps/tweaks that improve performance.
    I'd love to see this particular feature brought to all iOS devices. After all, when Apple demos features on iOS devices it has full video out enabled, demonstrating that they think it's useful. As I said in the article, presenters and educators would find the feature particularly welcome.

That said, I have no idea what this does to battery performance. It's possible that it taxes it more than Apple likes. Or it could be a rights issue -- Apple could very well have agreements in place that allow content to be displayed on the device but not projected. If you give full display out, there goes your agreement. The AirPlay API seems like a reasonable way to go. I just wish Apple would implement it for Springboard and all of its apps.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Breen For This Useful Post:

jasvncnt10 (02-02-2011), Jcbzr (02-01-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

when JB 4.2.1 for ipad ill be on?

Thanks

^ No one will ever be able to tell you a release date for a jailbreak. Jailbreaks are released when they're done.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

vantheman169 (02-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by titirezu25 View Post
    when JB 4.2.1 for ipad ill be on?
    I don't think you understood the thread.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i uderstand...but i need unthread...

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by titirezu25 View Post
    i uderstand...but i need unthread...
    Stop trolling! You posting in threads that have nothing to do with untethered jailbreak is not going to make it happen any faster. So be patient like the rest of us and stop wasting space on these forums.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

Jcbzr (02-01-2011)