Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Macworld Staffer Admits Jailbreaking, Posts Tutorial

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Breen View Post
    Thanks for mentioning my article, but I have to take issue with your characterization that discussing jailbreaking is a significant change for Macworld.

    Ben and I wrote one of the very first jailbreaking tutorials (back in the bad old days when Terminal was the only way in) that was published on Macworld.com. Rob Griffiths and I wrote more than a couple of times that we've found jailbreaking to be quite useful in our work (and play). And last year I wrote what I hope was a balanced view on the pros and cons of jailbreaking:

    Jailbreaking your iPhone: The pros and cons | Mobile | iOS Central | Macworld

    Ben and I also routinely talk about jailbreaking in our Macworld Expo sessions (yes, even when Apple was there).
    Balanced? I'm not so sure. With four "Pros" and six "Cons" bullet-points in that article, it's easy to see where the slant is, regardless of what you've done or said outside of it - recently or not.
    Last edited by Taranis17; 02-01-2011 at 02:19 PM.

  2. #22

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfost View Post
    I like turtles
    Me too!

  4. #24
    Rather than simply count the bullet points, how about responding to those points? Which would you argue with and what counter arguments would you make? As I've tried to indicate, I understand the value of jailbreaking, but to suggest that it's a perfect solution or one without problems shows its own bias.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Breen View Post
    Rather than simply count the bullet points, how about responding to those points? Which would you argue with and what counter arguments would you make? As I've tried to indicate, I understand the value of jailbreaking, but to suggest that it's a perfect solution or one without problems shows its own bias.
    Well, I read the article, and thought they were all valid points... Cons and pros.

    I do still agree that the tutorial signifies a slight change of direction, with regards to mainstream coverage and acceptance of Jail-Breaking in general.

    It's not just that you said you did it, it's that you told people how to do it. This will lead to more people joining the JB community (which I think is good) and perhaps lead more App designers to focus less on what Apple wants, rather than what they want their app to do.

    I say bravo! Keep it up, and I think you are right to point out the cons, because it will help people understand that Jail-Breaking is not a "set it, and forget it" type of thing.



    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CynicalDriver For This Useful Post:

    Chris Breen (02-01-2011), Malves (02-02-2011)

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    it will help people understand that Jail-Breaking is not a "set it, and forget it" type of thing.
    I hope so. This probably isn't the right forum to say this, but I think when jailbreak enthusiasts ignore or deemphasize the pitfalls and difficulties they lose some credibility. While a lot of people who jailbreak their devices know what they're doing (and so can get out of any sticky situations) there are those with jailbroken devices (people living overseas who purchase them after they've been jailbroken) that haven't a clue what to do when their phone, iPod, or iPad acts up.

    For example, I had an issue with an iPad today that required I SSH into the device (using SFTP) to remove a component that was causing a problem. I couldn't restore and the component that was acting up locked up Cydia to the point where I couldn't remove it that way. Unless you know something of the jailbreak way and the iOS' structure, you'd be out of luck in such a situation.

    Given that I think it's fair to suggest that jailbreaking isn't for everyone, regardless of how useful it can be.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Breen For This Useful Post:

    CynicalDriver (02-01-2011)

  9. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Breen View Post
    I hope so. This probably isn't the right forum to say this, but I think when jailbreak enthusiasts ignore or deemphasize the pitfalls and difficulties they lose some credibility. While a lot of people who jailbreak their devices know what they're doing (and so can get out of any sticky situations) there are those with jailbroken devices (people living overseas who purchase them after they've been jailbroken) that haven't a clue what to do when their phone, iPod, or iPad acts up.

    For example, I had an issue with an iPad today that required I SSH into the device (using SFTP) to remove a component that was causing a problem. I couldn't restore and the component that was acting up locked up Cydia to the point where I couldn't remove it that way. Unless you know something of the jailbreak way and the iOS' structure, you'd be out of luck in such a situation.

    Given that I think it's fair to suggest that jailbreaking isn't for everyone, regardless of how useful it can be.
    I agree 100%. I have a lot of people ask me about my phone, and how I got it that way. If I KNOW they are tech savvy, I give them the quick-n-dirty. If I think they might need to do a lot of studying, I tell them it's not easy... If they persist, then I tell them to look for tutorials and FAQs on google

    You should check out a program called iPhone Fun Box (or is it iFun Box? Not at my computer right now) it's wonderful for stuff like that (total access browsing/editing files on the iPhone,) and is graphical, user friendly. Not sure if it's Windows only (I use 7) but I am sure there's similar software for Mac. This one even gave me limited access to a non-jailbroken iTouch 3, which doesn't sound like much, but to be able to browse the music outside of iTunes was something else!


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

  10. #28
    ^ It's iFunBox

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

    CynicalDriver (02-01-2011)

  12. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    ^ It's iFunBox
    Thanks, I knew it was something like that.

    Off topic: they really need to add the "thank" button to the MMi app! It's annoying to have to switch to Safari to use it.

  13. #30
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts

    Displayout is indeed a good app, I got it for my ip4 ,ipt4 and iPad works great

  14. #31
    Green Apple Mookest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts

    I love all of this. I would like to see a world when big name company's apps get rejected from apple they go to cydia next. Kinda like the sony reader issue. If I had millions of bucks to invest I head over to cydia and help expand the horizons. Maybe even help move into a android marketplace alternative. I know they are as restrictive but just like how there are many different grocery stores, I think there should be different app stores with there own pros and cons. We are on the verge of a "Mobile world". One day the dinosaur will be that big box under your desk and you will pick up your weightless monitor retract the keyboard and go.

  15. #32
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,266
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 146 Times in 124 Posts

    That's funny stuff! Good advertising for us

  16. #33
    My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    835
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lillstar12 View Post
    Ha thats some funny sh*t app store has nothing on Cydia (apart from more but useless apps)
    yea not quite useless but together you can do a lot with your idevice. i would image a lit of people jailbreak their devices to do presentation like this, i mean apple wants you to use their products but its hard when your limited to the types of items you can use them with
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

  17. #34
    Having an idevice is much like having a car, you can either have it stock and be happy with it's performance and have the engine working smooth for the whole life of the car or tune it up so it runs faster and do things stock cars can't but its lifespan will be reduced, I don't know if it makes any sense to you guys but this is the way I think, so apple isn't making you do things the way the want you to, they're just telling you how your I device will work properly with the least amount of bugs, I'm sure cydia has a lot more bugs than a stock idevice but it also has its advantages.

  18. #35
    iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    239
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 43 Times in 33 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Ddaniel87 View Post
    Having an idevice is much like having a car, you can either have it stock and be happy with it's performance and have the engine working smooth for the whole life of the car or tune it up so it runs faster and do things stock cars can't but its lifespan will be reduced, I don't know if it makes any sense to you guys but this is the way I think, so apple isn't making you do things the way the want you to, they're just telling you how your I device will work properly with the least amount of bugs, I'm sure cydia has a lot more bugs than a stock idevice but it also has its advantages.
    That's a popular comparison, except your car doesn't come wih the hood welded shut. I think you'd enjoy saurik's presentation on why Software Should Have Screws.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

  19. #36
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Mass
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Archness View Post
    You pull out of our media event? We'll start giving your products coverage you don't want.
    +1 bump!

    Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    Heh, was thinking the same thing. Total win for Jailbreaking, and a total pooch screw for apple.
    +1 for the pooch screw comment! almost spit my coffe on my monitor!
    Last edited by Snozberries; 02-03-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

  20. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    That's a popular comparison, except your car doesn't come wih the hood welded shut. I think you'd enjoy saurik's presentation on why Software Should Have Screws.
    And how many average users actually pop open the hood on daily basis? Haven't you seen a BMW engine? When you open the hood you don't see anything but the oil/water fillings, I haven't open my car hood in more than a year I let the people at the shop do whatever it need to be done, same thing with the idevice, it's a way to ensure your idevice will run great, even if it means that you won't be able to do some things that most users dont really use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •