+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPad Has Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU: Report

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The latest report about the iPad 2 out of the East Asia supply chain claims that the upgraded device will come with a dual-core CPU running at 1.2 GHz. Concord
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New iPad Has Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU: Report

The latest report about the iPad 2 out of the East Asia supply chain claims that the upgraded device will come with a dual-core CPU running at 1.2 GHz. Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims that his supplier checks indicate a significant speed bump for the new iPad, with double the RAM, faster memory bus speeds and a powerful dual-core GPU. Display resolution is said to be the same, but the screen will be thinner and come with a new anti-reflective coating.

Ming-Chi Kuo is perhaps best known in the community in his former role as a research analyst for the Taiwanese electronics newspaper/gossip magazine DigiTimes. Though that publication has had a hit and miss reputation, Kuo's predictions last May about the iPhone 4 were eventually proven 100% correct. Kuo says that in addition to the dual-core Cortex-A9 1.2 GHz processor on its updated system-on-a-chip (more and more often referred to as the A5), the second-generation tablet will also have a dual-core PowerVR SGX543 GPU providing up to 300% faster renders than the iPhone 4's GPU. There will be twice as much RAM (512 MB versus 256 MB on the first generation model) and the SoC will have a memory bus running at 1066 MHz as compared to 800 MHz on the iPad 1 and iPhone 4.

In line with other reports, the iPad 2 will still have a 9.7-inch touchscreen with 1024 x 768 pixel resolution, though the display is said to be thinner than that on the first iPad and will have an anti-reflection coating that will allow for a better reading experience in direct sunlight (looks like someone at Apple's been watching Amazon's Kindle ads). In a somewhat disappointing note, the new iPad will use the same 1 megapixel rear-facing camera as the iPod touch, rather than the HD camera from the iPhone 4. This, Kuo says, is because the camera is intended to be used for augmented reality applications. The tablet will, however, have the 0.3 megapixel VGA front camera from the iPhone 4.

Kuo also claims that iPad 2 production started this month at Foxconn, which will be its sole supplier. Total production of 4.5 to 5 million units is expected this quarter following the official launch of the new iPad, which "will likely go to market in late 1Q'11 or early 2Q'11." The Taiwanese fiscal year runs from January to December, so this would put the release date close to the one-year anniversary on the iPad on April 3.

Source: AppleInsider

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nice specs. Hopefully some USB or SD slot... But I guess that's a dream come true.

Thanks

Sounds good, when can I buy one?

Green Apple chrodriguezmarydown's Avatar
    Thanks

Gimmie iPad 2!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVILFRED View Post
    Nice specs. Hopefully some USB or SD slot... But I guess that's a dream come true.
    There never be a memory expansion slot, if there was apple couldn't jack up the price for higher storage capacity.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (01-31-2011)

Thanks

I'll take 10.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm. I don't know. Sure the increased speed is awesome but I just dropped 500 on this one. I'm not sure that's enough to make me want to buy another. I think increased resolution would be my biggest selling point and it looks like that's not happening. What do they mean the screen is thinner???? The whole device is thinner??

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

1MP is all it takes for HD. 720x1280 = 921,600 < 1,000,000 (1MP)

512MB of RAM is kind of disappointing. That'll be enough to provide a huge improvement over the current iPad, but 1GB will make the experience buttery smooth.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVILFRED View Post
    you should have just posted 'first' and been done with it...

you get -2
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    While I love my iPad, I have to say that I went and purchased a 11 inch MacBook Air and it is far better for my mobile needs.

What apple needs to do is make a MacBook with an iPad for a screen that is detachable/dockable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

All that power for a crappy resolution

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

How about add an extra $100 and give us an OLED screen. I hate that newer tech is using OLED/SAMOLED and Apple persist on using old tech LCD which can't get vibrant colours or pure blacks which is why Apples Retina Display is let down by its poor contrast ratio.

Well iPad 2 can go to hell as the next PSP2 will be getting my money and the iPhone 5 or Galaxy S2 if the rumors about it are true.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 01-31-2011 at 11:27 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You've got to be kidding! Only 0.5 GB of RAM these days? I expected at least 1 GB, preferrably 2... Another RAM-starved idevice???

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

IMO this is one of those rumors that HAS to be true (at least the dual core part) to keep the iPad relevant. We are going to see many dual core competitiors rolling out in the next couple of months.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    You've got to be kidding! Only 0.5 GB of RAM these days? I expected at least 1 GB, preferrably 2... Another RAM-starved idevice???
    If you don't like the specs then don't buy the product. FYI hardware isnt everything. Apples os' are most of what make the products superior.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

dast1g (01-31-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Again, This is old news now... iPadawan, News for iPad, iPhone, iPod and other iDevices.

It has even been posted on MMI's main page 3 or 4 times now.

Thanks

If u have iPhone 4 and current iPad ur good. I agree 1gb vs 512mb is huge difference and lower res rear camera? Smh but great if it's at the $499 price point

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

512 will be world of a difference compared to 256, especially if they keep the same resolution.

Ready to preorder 3 of them, with the bigger GB's

I feel bad for everyone that bought an iPad within the last 2 months, everyone says once they buy an apple product apple releases a new one. How hard is it to realize they will drop something new every 365 days. If you wait 300 days to buy the product, who's fault is it?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The iPhone 5 better have at least 1GB of ram. The iPhone 4 crashes sometimes because of memory intensive background apps like Navigon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    How about add an extra $100 and give us an OLED screen. I hate that newer tech is using OLED/SAMOLED and Apple persist on using old tech LCD which can't get vibrant colours or pure blacks which is why Apples Retina Display is let down by its poor contrast ratio.

Well iPad 2 can go to hell as the next PSP2 will be getting my money and the iPhone 5 or Galaxy S2 if the rumors about it are true.
    The new psp2 is called the NGP, or next generation portable. Or do you mean the playstaion phone?

(yeah, thats right, there making 2 different things in one year)