Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: California Court Grants Sony Restraining Order Against Geohot

I would have no issues with this if it weren't for one thing...

Why is he supposed to hand his computer over to a private corporation? Shouldn't he be handing them to a government agency for evidentiary purposes?

Sony has no rights to anyone's personal property, under ANY circumstance.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think you all understand. If Hotz has ANYTHING to do with the PS3 jailbreak again, it will be in direct violation of his restraining order, and he will probably go to jail for it. Do you really think Sony's lawyers overlooked the fact that he could just put the jailbreak on a jump drive and put it on his next computer? Or that he could simply download the jailbreak from one of the many mirrors? They wouldn't have. If they get even an inkling that Hotz has something to do with a PS3 jailbreak, they will have him in court with charges pressed before he can even say a word.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

He better apply for an appeal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea if he jailbreaks a PS3. Just for clarification I don't own any Sony products anymore and would hope Geo would not do anything to jeopardize his freedom. I do however hope this will not prevent future work on other devices.

Exclamation SF Harassment / restraining order requirements
    I was in court last week with a friend who has a tenant problem here in SF. The tenant actually is someone who he let stay temporarily and conned his way via the landlords. My friend was royally pissed and slammed some doors and called him names-well the tenant filed a restraining order - I went to court as a witness. It was thrown out of court because the law in CA states that to issue a restraining order a person must PROVE beyond doubt that their life is in danger and/or undue extreme mental stress and a history of violence and disorder. We watched 15 cases before ours came before the judge. Only one (1) restraining order was issued. I do not see how this could possibly go far once it goes before the judge-to say the judge was pissed (about people wasting her time) is an understatement. She said in between several cases the requirements as stated above. Slamming doors, name calling, and even breaking dishes is not a reason for police or for courtrooms as she stated if a life or mental health is not endangered -YOU WILL NOT GET A RESTRAINING ORDER!

This was in San Francisco Superior Court too.

I am kinda puzzled as to how this took place. Although it is my understanding if you are the defendant and do not appear in court a temporary restraining order will be issued and the plaintiff must then prove their case at the given trial date according to the law even if the defendant is not present at that time.

Does anyone know if he appeared in court?

Also to note - one case was about a protest picket group outside a hotel where the hotel owner claimed her life was in danger and they were protesting / picketing outside the hotel and her father's home - the judge did not issue a restraining order due to first amendment rights (freedom of speech) - she told the plaintiff to adapt, get use to it and to should her life actually be in danger or if she were assaulted to refile, reappear and re-plea provided those accusations could be proven.

-david

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I would delete all the info off my HD, Then pull an office space on it with a sledge hammer and then hand it over to sony ... oh oh even better when they plug it into their network release a virus that would bring down their entire company ... oh oh or pack some C4 in there so when they turn it on ... Nevermind That last one wouldn't work, you couldn't pack enough C4 in there ...

I'm kidding people ... about the last one

I'm going to ask a lawyor buddy of mine, but I would think that turning over your computer with your personal files has to be some sort of violation of your privacy, however turning over the files would be a different story.

Forget donating for a new computer lets all donate money so we can get him Johnny Cockeran (How ever you spell it)

Ive been boycotting sony since the lik-sang.com incident
    If Sony is so hungry for money, maybe they don't deserve mine anymore.
    "I accidentally upgraded my firmware.....again..."

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a good question! Does Geo have a high priced lawyer or a public pretender? We should start a fundraiser for Geo if he needs a good attorney. I also think Microsoft or someone should hire him and help pay his legal bills. I knew a guy who hacked into IBM back in the day and got a job out of the deal.

Ef Sony. I hope this makes more hackers decide to screw with Sony now! You poke a hornets nest, you get stung!
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steeda763 View Post
    I don't understand what turning his computers over to Sony is going to accomplish. What's to say he can't delete information? Or copy it all to his next computer?

With his budding celebrity status and the empathy of millions in the community, I'm sure he'll have no problems in receiving donations to build a new computer...if Microsoft doesn't bribe him with a new rig, that is.
    this is the part that i find ridiculous, they probably want his computer to help find items that will beef up there security. but geohot seems to be able to jailbreak nearly everything
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234