+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: California Court Grants Sony Restraining Order Against Geohot

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This is going to have a serious impact if he can be held liable.
    Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

This is going to have a serious impact if he can be held liable.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

iPhone? More like MyPhone steelersfan32's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats Sony, you (maybe) stopped one hacker. But if you think he's the only one you're mistaken. Other people will stand up and assume his position soon enough; and that's assuming this will even stop him. The problem is, Sony, you went after the wrong man; you stopped the man who bypassed the security, not the man that used the security hole to pirate games. You can't stop piracy, there'll always be someone trying to steal your work, but you think taking out a hacker that's against piracy is going to help you? Sony you can't win this game, this is just a small dent in the huge community that hackers have.
    Want to drive an idiot insane? Click Here to find out how.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This won't stop jailbreaking game consoles. If anything it will add fuel to it. The only thing that will change is the hackers will work in the shadows instead of being public like this. This makes sony products so much less enticing. I run a softmodded wii thanks to @comex, and I love it. It makes my wii 1000x more enticing and I run absolutely no pirated material. I also run XBMC to play all my multimedia and my WiiRemote is the mouse on my media PC. The jailbreak community doesn't hurt consoles, it opens them up to new revenue from enthusiasts who reverse engineer the products and offer up amazing and useful projects. This will only hurt Sony I can guarantee you that

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Geohot will come out of this still alive and well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Donate. Donate to geohot so he can fight this everyOne should donate at least $1 we all cause with out this guys like hot devteam and bothered JB team our device would not so cool so geohot I'm donating 200 good luck

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ace01xc View Post
    Donate. Donate to geohot so he can fight this everyOne should donate at least $1 we all cause with out this guys like hot devteam and bothered JB team our device would not so cool so geohot I'm donating 200 good luck
    GeoHot's web site says that any donation fund collections are scams as of right now. Otherwise I'd be happy to donate.
    Do I brag about which phone I have in this space?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Somebody is backing GeoHot financially. Sony won't win this legal battle easily. This is only going to drive console makers to produce better firmware. It's still a win for consumers. By the way, I just jailbroke my PS3 using a different method other than GeoHot. There's still a very large community dedicated to jailbreaking the PS3. Backing up my games and playing custom BD movies from the hard drive is great options to have.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Thanks

It's all about the money Sony is throwing around. They want a message sent, and they will do it at ALL costs. Unfortunately, it'll be interesting to see what backlash this will have in our community. Sony sucks donkey balls. Can I say that? Or will it be censored? or will Sony have it removed?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OleBayCrab View Post
    He had to go and pick a gaming system. They are considered CPU's. Geo needed to just stick with the smartphones. They are protected. Now he's SCREWED. SONY ain't gonna just take it. They have more lawyers, they will make his life miserable. The "intent" doesn't matter, its the end result that's got him in hot water.
    A console is considered a CPU? Really?

......no. It's not.

Intent doesn't matter? The end result is all that matters? Are you an idiot?
    It's not his fault that someone else decided to misuse his code.
    Your argument is like saying that someone who designed a tire iron is responsible for another person using it to beat someone to death.

He'll be fine, Sony can fux0r off...he owns the device and can do whatever he wants with it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think Sony is aware that this will not stop the hackers. It's just a scare tactic and that's it. I also believe that Sony is doing this scare tactic to kind of slow down hackers in order to find a way to fix this problem. But they know the end result will be against them. The best solution as of right now is to do what Microsoft does and ban consoles and what not. Sony is doing what a company should do...and that is to protect it's product. Even if it does seem "lame".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ExoX2010 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (01-28-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

"effective technological protective measures"

Lol: I guess they put 'effective' in there to curb their embarrassment? Obviously it's now ineffective.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Thanks

I just hate the fact that if I BUY something, I don't want someone telling me what I can and can't do with it. I bought a stove, does GE tell me what I can and can't cook on it? I bought a TV, does Panasonic tell me what I can and can't watch on it? I bought paper at Staples, do they tell me what I can and can't write on it? I could keep going, but you get the point. I want the maximum effectivness out of every product I BUY, and I don't want someone to tell me I cannot. Once I BUY it, it is MINE.

Thanks

LMMFAO. Its amazing how this world has gone to **** over the past years. No wonder everyone is criminals now days. Because there is nothing you can do in this so called free world that is actually FUN, without it being against the law in some way shape or form.

Next up, someone finds and Iphone5 in prison before the Iphone5 is even released.
    No signature spam or links

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

Hotz has all but 10 days to comply with the court order and fork over his computers to the PlayStation maker.
    file an 'inJUNKtion' with the same stupid judge that Sony has NO RIGHT to confiscate his pc's. if he's a corp. entity (i hope), he can file on the grounds of trade secrets being on the same equipment as the PS3 jb (JB for iDevices/WP7/etc.). This should piss Sony off just enough to realize that they got a lil lucky. GL homeboy.

-Hack The Planet!!

Quote Originally Posted by OleBayCrab View Post
    He had to go and pick a gaming system. They are considered CPU's. Geo needed to just stick with the smartphones. They are protected. Now he's SCREWED. SONY ain't gonna just take it. They have more lawyers, they will make his life miserable. The "intent" doesn't matter, its the end result that's got him in hot water.
    where is ron goldman when you need him??
    Last edited by Snozberries; 01-28-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

It's a shame

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Gotta do it Mr. Essany. I'll refer you all back to a previous mmi editorial striking a raised eyebrow about the sony/apple bed time story about when the maybe rumor was something like this...

Rumor: Apple May Acquire Sony

Apple tossing cash at Sony after this court case could come to fruition...
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

Thanks

HAHAHHA! Only $$ hungry conglomerates care about piracy/hacking! WE ALL LOVE IT as it gives us technology we should already have anyway. Instead of giving 2 cents we get the whole DOLLAR :]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I hope nobody buys the PSP2. After this little stunt, I'm done buying Sony products.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Geohot is a God to me, the iPhone and the PS3. He's got a bit of a big head but I'd probably be the same way if I had those skills.

Now let me go wipe this stuff off my nose.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PM5K For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (01-28-2011)

Thanks

Damn!!! This is unfair' he done nothing wrong

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CX3NT3_713 For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (01-28-2011)