+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 To Sport Dual-Core Processors?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I thought they making the i5 triple core.
    Thanks

I thought they making the i5 triple core.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The thirst for power won't stop until we get cinema, CGI styled graphics out of our handhelds during gaming and graphics experiences. The same goes for consoles.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,215 Posts

That would be nice maybe my apps wouldn't crash as much
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

I don't think anyone will have a problem with this...
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    People don't realize that multi-core can mean better battery life. Both cores can run at a lower clock and accomplish as much work. Or a core can be turned off when it is unneeded. Although mainly I would like to see a software and hardware (looks) on all devices. And a better GPU.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maztrr For This Useful Post:

krosis (01-27-2011), Poseidon79 (01-28-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

The main benefit to going dual-core is that, surprisingly, dual-core processors actually improve battery life. A performance boost is always nice, but when it comes to any kind of mobile tech power consumption is a primary issue and multicore processing is definitely the way forward.

Given the next few months will see the world's first wave of dual-core smartphones released to consumers, and rumours of possible quad-core phones by the end of 2011/beginning of 2012, it is almost unthinkable that Apple would release a single-core iPhone in mid-2011, especially given their track record in terms of phone technology.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trupimp714 View Post
    hopefully iphone 5 comes in a few months!!
    Don't say that dude lol i just got my i4 atleast another year before I'm eligible to get a new phone lol

Thanks

NO! save it for next time, i just got the 4, have them release some crazy 4.5 version with come crazy, and i mean CRAZY features

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I didnt think things could get much faster

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Just to explain for those that don't understand, adding a second core to a CPU doesn't make the chip use less power all by itself (and at the same clockspeed, under load, it will indeed use more).

The power benefit comes from the fact that power consumption does not scale linearly with clock speed, and with multi-threaded workloads you get better power efficiency by running more threads at slower speeds.

So compared to a single-core 1GHz CPU, a dual-core 500MHz CPU would give you the same performance, while using half the power. A dual-core 750MHz CPU would have 50% more performance for the same power, and a dual-core 1GHz CPU would have double the performance and double the power.

The point is if you're going to double your performance, doubling your cores uses half as much power as doubling your clockspeed.

This is all "under load" as well. These CPUs (and desktop CPUs) are very good at going into low power states when they're inactive for mere milliseconds.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

Green Apple
    Thanks

If they got a quad-core processor into the PSP2 then I think they can get a dual-core into the iPhone 5.

Thanks

I'll probably upgrade my iPoT 3G to an i5 with my the money from selling my Dyslexia Mac, as I don't need 2 laptops, yet yearn for an iPhone :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

There will be "something" in July, it might not be much, but it'll be there :-)

I just want 64GB...

That's all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by master_va View Post
    I'm waiting... the "death grip" issue will probably be solved then and obviously tons of new features..its worth waiting for..
    Yeah like battery drain...(worth a thought.)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    Tell me you were just kidding with these statements. Dual cores running at faster speeds than our current single core will definitely be faster. And hopefully Apple have their devs multithreading the native iphone apps. Safari definitely needs to be optimized for duel cores.
    I'm not saying that a dual core CPU isn't faster than a single core.

Ok maybe Safari will be able to load/render pages a bit quicker, but the majority of your browsing speed is determined on your Wifi or 3G speeds.
    Writing an email, writing a text, making a phone call, watching a movie, listening to music, taking photo's, viewing photo's, downloading Apps, download any media, using Google Maps, using YouTube, and much much more isn't going to be faster.

Things that would be faster/run better would be the graphical intensive games like Infinity Blade, exporting videos to upload to YouTube, iMovie App.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 869 Posts

Well, I'm one of the ones waiting for the iPhone 5 rather than jumping on the iPhone 4 bandwagon - it would be a shame for them NOT to release the 5.

Besides, the iPhone 4's design needs to go - two heavy plates of glass are nice in theory, but that makes for one heavy, shatterable phone.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I'm not saying that a dual core CPU isn't faster than a single core.

Ok maybe Safari will be able to load/render pages a bit quicker, but the majority of your browsing speed is determined on your Wifi or 3G speeds.
    Writing an email, writing a text, making a phone call, watching a movie, listening to music, taking photo's, viewing photo's, downloading Apps, download any media, using Google Maps, using YouTube, and much much more isn't going to be faster.

Things that would be faster/run better would be the graphical intensive games like Infinity Blade, exporting videos to upload to YouTube, iMovie App.
    The Safari web pages have to be written in and out of memory by the CPU, so you should see a performance increase and shorter loading times, assuming there's not a bottle neck in the read/ write speed for the memory.

As for performance, a dual-core chip will speed up any program that utilizes the cores in parallel, not just games.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 01-27-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB25 View Post
    Seriously I'm getting impatient should I get an i4 or hold out w the hopes of a new iPhone this summer?! =
    get the iphone 4 with no contract for 700 dollars then later this year get the 5. Thats what im doing. Thats why i need a job

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ODB25 View Post
    Seriously I'm getting impatient should I get an i4 or hold out w the hopes of a new iPhone this summer?! =\
    You should wait,, the ip4 is good,, but the next one should b better,,.I just hope they can jailbreak it

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Okay can some one please tell me how fast is a dual core? I keep hearing people saying that the A9 chip will be faster than the A4. But how much faster? The A4 is 1GHZ so how fast is the A9? or any of those new chips?
    I need answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

IMO the software is where Apple's attention should be. It is a very good stable platform, but they are so restrictive. Give us bluetooth file transfer (how is sending a picture I took via bluetooth a breach of copyright?!), better themeing options, custom sounds for mail etc, custom sound EQ... I could go on and on...