Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: China Mobile Chief Reveals Apple is working on a 4G LTE iPhone

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default China Mobile Chief Reveals Apple is working on a 4G LTE iPhone

According to an individual widely seen as a credible source close to Apple - Wang Jianzhou, the chairman of wireless carrier China Mobile - Apple is rapidly working to develop and support the high-speed and long-term evolution OF 4G wireless technology. Jianzhou says that a future update to the iPhone will reflect the progress Apple is now making internally.

"Apple has made it clear they will support TD-LTE," Jianzhou said in Davos, Switzerland. Jianzhou spilled the beans on Wednesday in the Sina Technology news portal, which was later picked up by Reuters. "Apple Inc fully supports China Mobile's next generation TD-LTE technology and talks are ongoing over a possible iPhone tie up with the carrier [China Mobile]," the report reads.

For the time being, the iPhone is only available in China through China Unicom, China's second-largest mobile carrier, which runs on the global 3G standard. China Mobile, however, has been working closely and remaining in talks with Apple for more than a year, a developing partnership that industry analysts believe will eventually yield a deal to expand the iPhone into China Mobile territory, a wireless network with 584 million mobile phone subscribers as opposed to China Unicom's relatively paltry 167.4 million subscribers.

Reuters

I saw this coming
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

The Maestro (01-26-2011)

I could have told you that...

No more cdma rumors for essany, on to LTE
    I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewie Griffin For This Useful Post:

mosesh (01-26-2011)

Thanks

Hmmm.... Verizon is going to use FD-LTE however. Not sure about AT&T.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hmmm. "Rapidly working" on a 4G iPhone eh? So we should expect a release sometime in the next 3 or 4 years when 4G is nearly obsolete, no?

4G huh...
    Sousa good can't wait till AT&T gets 4G this year.
    Also my friends friend dad is the manager for a verizon store and she asked him about the iPhone and it's plans. And she was told by him that verizon will not have 4G on the iPhone on the release date they will have 3G and won't release 4G network until later this year.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll hold out until AT&T has lte and an iPhone that works on it.

^ no iPhone supports any 4g network, verizon has released their 4g lte but only their hotspot modem uses verizons 4g no phones yet.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Another iPhone rumor!

I was just wondering... Is t-mobiles new 4g running LTE? Or is it different?

Quote Originally Posted by devesstate View Post
    I was just wondering... Is t-mobiles new 4g running LTE? Or is it different?
    Different, Tmobile is on hspa+

I'm pretty sure the iPhone 3GS was built with 3.5g radios before AT&T released it so if apple says get in check for 4G they'll make it happen

iPhone on 4g would be great, hope my unlimited data plan will still be grandfathered into this...

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

that would be a huge increase in sales in china, i still think a 4g iphone wont be until iphone 6
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Where else were they gunna go....?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ Yea its a no brainer

Thanks

duh, Everyone is dropping LTE phones left and right. AT&T is doing 4g lte this year. There was wild rumors that iPhone 4 was going to be the last 3g only phone apple will make. Apple stays on the cutting edge of tech. Sometimes leads tech world. The rest of the smartphone world wouldn't be where it is today with out companies trying to make "The IPhone Killer" How many attempts were there until there was actually competition for the iPhone? No Matter. For all the idiots or people who refuse to see the obvious... IPhone 5 (The next iPhone) Will be 4g LTE compatible! Unless the world comes to an end before then.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default LTE? Maybe not for a longer time than we think
    i have family in telecommunications and in verizon. we live in new york and from verizon's view, the east coast is NO where near ready for LTE. theres not a square inch of it in New Jersey and thats a huge problem. New Jersey gets everything first when it comes to the "city" part of the east coast [in example NYC, NJ]

telecommunications view is, theres no movement yet in any carrier on the east coast giving the consumer LTE support. basiclly meaning if anything comes out device wise, whats the sense in getting it if its not supported anywhere near your area.

like i said i live in New York, to be specifically Staten Island which is the center of it all. i travel and so does everyone i know and we hardly have 4G and crap tastic 3G in manhattan.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Restore faith in Apple? iPhone updates are yearly. I think iP5 will be 4G and support CDMA and GSM in same model. iP6 will probably be the one (2012) that is missing the home button and sporting a larger screen.