+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 10% Of Customers Who Leave T-Mobile are Leaving for the iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Even with the imminent release of the Verizon iPhone , it is still quite interesting to look at how the iPhone is still affecting the American carriers who do not
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default 10% Of Customers Who Leave T-Mobile are Leaving for the iPhone

Even with the imminent release of the Verizon iPhone, it is still quite interesting to look at how the iPhone is still affecting the American carriers who do not carry the coveted Apple device.

A recent report from CultOfMac suggests that in a presentation from T-Mobile CEO to investors in New York that the company's "churn rate," the number of customers leaving the carrier for another is around 2 percent of customers per month. Of that 2 percent, 10 percent are leaving directly for Apple's smartphone. He labeled this the "iPhone effect."

There was no talk of T-Mobile acquiring the rights to carry Apple's smartphone, although Apple's current iPhone's technically support T-Mobile's GSM network. CEO Phillipp Humm states that the company's best way to combat this effect is by releasing a set of "sub-$100 Android smartphones, with subscription plans starting at $10 a month." Essentially, T-Mobile does not want to directly compete with the iPhone. The assumption can be made that if a customer was willing to pay $200 for a phone, and around $70 for a phone and data plan, many would opt for AT&T, or Verizon's iPhone.

In what looks like a completely desperate move, T-Mobile seems to have cried Uncle to the lack of the iPhone by 'combatting' the iPhone problem with cheaper, but likely inferior products. It certainly doesn't look like the best time to be a T-Mobile investor, that's for sure.

Source:
    CultOfMac
    Last edited by Matt Savoca; 01-25-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks

I guess it'll be higher after February 10th.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

So 0.2% of T-mobile customers are leaving for the iphone. I cant blame them, yes you can unlock iphones for t-mobile US but there are alot of headaches that come with it like mms, internet, and other programs not functioning properly. Id rather go to a network that fully supports iphone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have been using my iphone on T-Mobile for years now! It really isn't that big of a deal to unlock it and all that stuff. I would rather spend 1 day stressing over an unlock/jailbreak and save a LOT of $$$$ through out the year. So it is worth it for me! T-mobile iphone all the way!

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TBbmx View Post
    I have been using my iphone on T-Mobile for years now! It really isn't that big of a deal to unlock it and all that stuff. I would rather spend 1 day stressing over an unlock/jailbreak and save a LOT of $$$$ through out the year. So it is worth it for me! T-mobile iphone all the way!
    The only problem is iPhone doesn't support T-Mobiles 3G network.
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McMichael96 View Post
    The only problem is iPhone doesn't support T-Mobiles 3G network.
    I didn't care much when I was on T-Mobile with the iPhone that I didn't have 3G, but now that I do have 3G with AT&T I don't think I'd ever go back. Having said that, T-Mobile is CHEAPER than AT&T!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yeah but if you are one of the few who has the old T-Zones $5.99 plan internet plan, I would stick with 2G internet any day over having to pay the $30 bucks for internet each month. That's almost $300 a year you're saving on internet alone. T-Mobile is the cheaper option by far.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    So 0.2% of T-mobile customers are leaving for the iphone. I cant blame them, yes you can unlock iphones for t-mobile US but there are alot of headaches that come with it like mms, internet, and other programs not functioning properly. Id rather go to a network that fully supports iphone.
    Not 0.2% but 2% tmobile better be begging apple and not crying uncle

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

If I was one of the lucky few to have a t-zone $5.99 internet plan you bet that I would be with t-mobile but thats not the case.

As far as unlocking goes its not the unlock thats the problem its the features that dont work properly I know there are fixes but a few friends have iphones on t-mobile and they keep having to reset mms settings, internet settings, and hope other features work properly.

For some people the speed differnce between 3g and 2g doesnt matter but it does to me, I use my iphone heavily and the 3g speeds from at&t are much appreciated.

Thanks

Call t-mobile to say your leaving for an iPhone

Have bill cut in half

Continue to use iPhone
    I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

Thanks

Sometimes the provider says "go right ahead"

Banned
    Thanks

this article is quite dumb. t-mobile is a sh!tty company, their phones suck, they customer service is horrific.

ADF
    Green Apple
    Thanks

eehhh..... Ima stick with tmo. They'll soon get the iPhone. I can't say the whole no 3G speeds don't kill me (cause they do), but I have wifi at my house, job, and school, sooo....

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    Sometimes the provider says "go right ahead"
    These days TMobile's customer service has become like Verizon. You want to leave tmobile, OK GO AHEAD. They just dont give a damn about the customer anymore. TMobile plans are as pricy as verizon or att. TMobile's unlimited android data plan is 30 also, verizon is 30 also. Then whats the difference?

iPhone? More like MyPhone TT KH's Avatar
    Thanks
    Having tmo for so long, I've finally made the switch and I'm much happier with the roll over mins and the 3G network. But if you look at it. It's much better deal with the roll over mins

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hapishyguy View Post
    These days TMobile's customer service has become like Verizon. You want to leave tmobile, OK GO AHEAD. They just dont give a damn about the customer anymore. TMobile plans are as pricy as verizon or att. TMobile's unlimited android data plan is 30 also, verizon is 30 also. Then whats the difference?

That's too bad, it sucks if tmo cust svc was rude to you but ive been with em for close to 12 years and they really strive to please the customer- correct me if I'm wrong but I believe hearing something along the lines of tmobile being rated the highest in customer service (JD power study/survey)

Either way it definitely is cheaper with tmobile.... Maybe it's just me but I can't justify paying more for internet on my phone than I do at home..... It's ridiculous

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 2006yamahaR6 For This Useful Post:

ADF (01-25-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TBbmx View Post
    Poor guy had to sacrifice funtionality for $.

Quote Originally Posted by TT KH View Post
    Having tmo for so long, I've finally made the switch and I'm much happier with the roll over mins and the 3G network. But if you look at it. It's much better deal with the roll over mins
    I feel you. I was with tmo and went over my minutes every months and had to pay out my *** for overages. As soon as the iPhone released I had to make the switch. As a result they got angry at me and did not discontinue my service as I requested and I had to pay for an extra month of unuse service. I told them to waive off the charges because I did not even use the service and had asked to discontinued the service earlier but they just ignored me and forced me to pay; talk about scam. Never going to tmobile again. No roll over = No deal.
    Last edited by xclusiveiphone; 01-25-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    With the end of ATT's exclusive deal and Apple switching to Qualcom chips I see it as a real possibility that the Iphone 5 will fully support T-Mobil and will eventually be available from T-Mobil.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to calljd For This Useful Post:

ADF (01-25-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calljd View Post
    With the end of ATT's exclusive deal and Apple switching to Qualcom chips I see it as a real possibility that the Iphone 5 will fully support T-Mobil and will eventually be available from T-Mobil.
    I certainly do hope so but what do you think about the whole 3G issue? An iPhone 5 that supports AT&T 3G, verizon CDMA, and Tmobile 3G frequency? I think that is unlikely from apples douchey history

(sarcastic smiley directed towards apple, not calljd)

Thanks

every single mobile company's customer service sucks balls sideways.
    I had them all they will sweet talk to you to sign the contract and as soon as the 30 days are over you cant return the phones and get out of the contract, then the honeymoon is over.
    They are rude, unprofessional and they dont give a **** about your problems, you are locked in for 2 years, they know you will sit and take in the *** no matter what.

I am currently with ATT the by far worse company on the planet with four iphones, on Feb 10th, I am going to be getting 4 iphone 4s with verizon.

#1 Sprint has the best plans, period, so so coverage and they have the evo, thats it
    #2 Verizon has the best service but POS phones, best CS I seen, not that is anything special, this will change with the iphone 4
    #3 att they have the iphone but the service sucks *******, and dont get me started on CS
    #4 tmobile, their phones suck and so do their phones.
    I predict that tmobile will be outta business within 2-3 years if that.