+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "It's Official:" WSJ Confirms Verizon's Unlimited Plan for iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to the Wall Street Journal , Verizon is poised to announce a $30 per month unlimited 3G data plan for iPhone users. However, according to a purportedly leaked memo
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "It's Official:" WSJ Confirms Verizon's Unlimited Plan for iPhone

According to the Wall Street Journal, Verizon is poised to announce a $30 per month unlimited 3G data plan for iPhone users. However, according to a purportedly leaked memo from Verizon, this may be the only option available for any smartphone, as the entry-level data capped plans have all apparently been scrapped.

The Wall Street Journal's Roger Cheng says that the company's chief operating officer Lowell McAdam told him he's about to inform investors of the new pricing structure, intended to lure away AT&T users who are stuck with that carrier's tiered plans. "I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot," he reportedly said, indicating that without an unlimited plan he thinks customers might not make the switch.

Engadget's Chris Ziegler revealed yesterday what he says is Verizon's new data package pricing. If a tip from an anonymous source is to be believed, it appears Verizon will no longer offer its $15/month 150 MB data plan. Buyers of any new 3G smartphone, including the iPhone, will have to pay $29.99 per month for unlimited data. The carrier will offer a low-end 75 MB plan at $10/month for feature phones, the still-popular "special-ed" phones that are in between smartphones and dumb handsets.

It's not clear whether this unlimited plan covers Verizon's Personal Hotspot due out with the CDMA iPhone 4 variant running iOS 4.2.5. It is pretty unlikely, however: current smartphone customers pay $30 per month for tethering, and have a 5 GB/month data cap.

Source: MacRumors
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 01-25-2011 at 10:22 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

JLick (01-25-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Zhe iPhone 5 w/ Verizon will be mine!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

No unlimited data plan will make me change from AT&T. Sucks for those who don't use much data per month if this is in fact true.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

pretty big deal,

id think about switching if i wasnt grandfathered in for unlimited att. perhaps att should rethink this.

Thanks

AT&T will change it its tiered plan for iPhone users only. Watch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm gonna jump to verizon for the iPhone 5 I would be there for the 4 but they're crappy upgrade policy sucks, my iPhone 4 just isn't meant for t-mobiles ****** edge and no coverage

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice!!

If this is true ... Verizon is playing hard to get their customers back from AT&T. It will force AT&T back to offer their unlimited data plan, too. This type of competition is healthy; because at the end of the day, the consumers win.

I can foresee the Verizon future ads "Who needs data & voice to work simultaneously when you don't have an unlimited data?".

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Thanks

Still... not being able to make a phone call + use data at same time = fail. I'm using AT&T unlimited.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigorangekitty View Post
    Still... not being able to make a phone call + use data at same time = fail. I'm using AT&T unlimited.

Anyone that has 3g coverage and a grandfathered unlimited plan for ATT is not going to switch to verizon and give up that feature. In NY there is so little difference between the verizon service and ATT service that there is no way to justify paying more money for a phone with less features than I currently have. The only reason people should switch is if they have no plans on upgrading ever from an iphone 4 and do not have 3g coverage with ATT, I feel bad for you guys.

Thanks

As technology becomes more advanced and smart phones become a more integral part of our lives this feature will be a thorn in the side of Verizon. They will eventually have to swap their technology to allow simultaneous voice & data transfer. I use MyWi for my home internet and it would drive me crazy if I were bumped offline every time someone calls me.

Considering Verizon is offering wireless tethering out of the box many people will quickly figure this out. Once upon a time I thought AT&T's commercials boasting their ability to transfer both data and voice were silly since hardly anyone needed to do both simultaneously, but now it's a deal breaker for me.

Thanks

Walking out of a city and loosing 3G service also = fail.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

Competition is a good thing. I'm grandfathered in on unlimited data with ATT. I figured they'd take that away from me at a certain point. Not now

I'm curious does anyone know what percentage of ATT users are grandfathered in under unlimited data?? My guess is its 20% or more, but I have no idea. IMO, people switching from ATT to Verizon is gonna be way less than most are saying.

Anyone know what percentage of bandwidth the top 5% of iPhone users consume? I know I've seen it somewhere and its big like 80%or more. Honestly, tiered pricing makes more sense for this reason. Espeically as power users drop cable and use 3G hotspots as their only interent access.
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Why does everyone think u can't multiple task with a verizon iPhone? It's a freaking feature of the iPhone 4 and u idiots think apple is going to make 2 different versions of the same phone.. My OPINION is the verizon iPhone will do exactly what the AT&T iPhone does.. And if u can't multiple task then when a jailbreak comes available then it will happen .

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sofaxkingxhi View Post
    Why does everyone think u can't multiple task with a verizon iPhone? It's a freaking feature of the iPhone 4 and u idiots think apple is going to make 2 different versions of the same phone.. My OPINION is the verizon iPhone will do exactly what the AT&T iPhone does.. And if u can't multiple task then when a jailbreak comes available then it will happen .
    If you knew anything you would know data+voice is a limitation of the CDMA network, the network used by verizon. It was mentioned during the keynote.

The phone can multitask, just no data at the same time as a phone call.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

You can multi task. What you can't do is use voice and data at the same time. That's something Verizon's CDMA network can't do. So if you are talking on iPhone you can't open safari. Or if you are getting turn by turn navigation - don't answer a call!
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It is not a feature of the iPhone4. It is a feature of handling voice and data at the same time available only if your carrier has the technology. It will be a moot point once LTE rolls out for Verizon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

There not talking about multitasking there talking about using internet and on the phone at the same time. Verizons network docent do this. I believe this goes with maps also for it uses Internet for the map it self. So before calling people Idiot's read a little better before making your self look like one
    I Like Eletronics

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Fido doesn't offer unlimited data on their standard iPhone plans...
    (Maybe their custom plans offer it?)
    The U.S.A is always served first... :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

lolmao

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
    pretty big deal,

id think about switching if i wasnt grandfathered in for unlimited att. perhaps att should rethink this.
    Agreed.....I'm too grandfathered in with AT&T for the unlimited data plan. AT&T should definitely come up with something to compete against Verizon's unlimited plan like maybe comeback with an unlimited plan of their own.....but maybe they should wait until they start loosing customers to Verizon so us loyal customers will have a better experience on a less congested network.
    Though we all look different on the outside, we all bleed the same on the inside