+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Appoints Ex-NSA, Navy Officer New Global Security Director

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple has hired cybersecurity expert David Rice - a former NSA and Navy official - as its new "Director of Global Security." Rice is expected to take the helm in
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Appoints Ex-NSA, Navy Officer New Global Security Director

Apple has hired cybersecurity expert David Rice - a former NSA and Navy official - as its new "Director of Global Security." Rice is expected to take the helm in early March, as his appointment comes to help mitigate the growing concerns of client security on iDevices. As Apple ramps up its sales pitches to big business and large government agencies, the "security implications of iPhones and iPads running on their networks" must be addressed from a trusted source. It now appears that Rice will be that source.

After graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1994, Rice went on to serve as a Global Network Vulnerability analyst for the National Security Agency and as a "Special Duty Cryptologic officer" for the US Navy. In terms of experience combating cyber security threats, Rice is the real deal. Former executive director of the Monterey Group - a cybersecurity consulting firm - Rice also remains on the faculty of IANS, a prominent information security research company. According to CNET, Rice was even involved with the U.S. Cyber Consequences Unit, a nonprofit organization that "researches the potential for cyberattacks and their impact." And the resume rolls on...

While little is presently known about the attributes of the iPhone 5, many industry analysts believe the fifth generation Apple handset will be light on new bells and whistles and, instead, heavily showcase new security features. As Apple continues to promote its smartphone as the ultimate business tool, the Cupertino-tech giant now finds itself in need of some hardcore security muscle to prove that the iPhone is every bit as "safe" as it is sexy.

CNET
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 01-24-2011 at 08:49 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Derrrrr (01-24-2011)

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

This is epic....lol You think if the iphone 5 gets jailbroke under his watch, that he will be shamed and fired?
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 01-24-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is exactly why I'm done with apple and heading to android. They care more about a harmless jailbreaking, than android surpassing them. Even though iOS is a solid os over android, I'm tired of a feature here and there and then you got to wait a year for the next feature.

Thanks

I'm sure the iPhone 5 will be jailbroken. They can't stop jailbreaking, only slow it down.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

Apple has hired cybersecurity expert David Rice - a former NSA and Navy official - as its new "Director of Global Security." Rice is expected to take the helm in early March, as his appointment comes to help mitigate the growing concerns of client security on iDevices. As Apple ramps up its sales pitches to big business and large government agencies, the "security implications of iPhones and iPads running on their networks" must be addressed from a trusted source. It now appears that Rice will be that source.

After graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1994, Rice went on to serve as a Global Network Vulnerability analyst for the National Security Agency and as a "Special Duty Cryptologic officer" for the US Navy. In terms of experience combating cyber security threats, Rice is the real deal. Former executive director of the Monterey Group - a cybersecurity consulting firm - Rice also remains on the faculty of IANS, a prominent information security research company. According to CNET, Rice was even involved with the U.S. Cyber Consequences Unit, a nonprofit organization that "researches the potential for cyberattacks and their impact." And the resume rolls on...

While little is presently known about the attributes of the iPhone 5, many industry analysts believe the fifth generation Apple handset will be light on new bells and whistles and, instead, heavily showcase new security features. As Apple continues to promote its smartphone as the ultimate business tool, the Cupertino-tech giant now finds itself in need of some hardcore security muscle to prove that the iPhone is every bit as "safe" as it is sexy.

CNET

Hahah Michael your from Valpo?
    Thats tight.
    I live in LaPorte

Thanks

Damn they're getting serious.

Also I think they're pouring a lot more money into stopping piracy than piracy costs them. (not advocating piracy) Unless they really are just stopping jailbreaking because they don't want to give people access to the filesystem.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Lets the war begin...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, as long as I don't toss it in a toilet, they can never have my 4.1!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default just my opinion...
    I think this is being read into incorrectly...I really doubt Apple has brought this guy in to try and stop Jailbreaking...

The article, as it stands is talking about securing information, because of the enterprise and governmental markets that Apple is pushing for. For that reason, they would want someone like this on their side, to ease the minds of the corporations/government agencies considering using the iPhone. For these companies/agencies, the security of information is vital, and would require the highest security measures possible.

That being said, as a result of him coming on board, it is possible that it could make Jailbreaking more difficult. But only time will tell.

I love my iPhone, jailbroken or not. I love it more when it is jailbroken, but I personally would not switch to another phone even if I couldn't Jailbreak anymore.

So, if your that unhappy with Apple and the restrictions on the iPhone, just do something about it and stop complaining...if you're smart enough, figure out a way to jailbreak yourself...otherwise switch to Android so we don't have to hear you constantly whining...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to j_alicea For This Useful Post:

nautical79 (01-24-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

A former Naval officer? That only proves to me that (a) he's a bureaucrat with no real knowledge of how cyber-security works, and (b) a career politician who is better at saying, "Yes sir," than innovating new security procedures.

Nothing to see here, folks. Next..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    I'm sure the iPhone 5 will be jailbroken. They can't stop jailbreaking, only slow it down.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Agreed!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis17 View Post
    A former Naval officer? That only proves to me that (a) he's a bureaucrat with no real knowledge of how cyber-security works, and (b) a career politician who is better at saying, "Yes sir," than innovating new security procedures.

Nothing to see here, folks. Next..

lol... with a resume like that I think he's a bit more than a "yes sir" guy.

Knowing he's been to these sorts of companies and had all that exposure I'm confident he will bring a different attitude regarding jailbreaking to Apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Get Geohot lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been in the Navy for over 8 Years, this basket weaving degree officer probably does not know the first thing about his job, officers dont do **** in the Navy, and they sure as hell dont know more cuz they have a degree.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You can't stop the Rick Roll.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If there is no vulnerability in iPhone 5 and iPhones following it won't this site begin to become useless? NOOOOO!!! I want to continue to theme my iPhones

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Well, as long as I don't toss it in a toilet, they can never have my 4.1!
    Until they find out how to force you to upgrade....
    It is Apple after all!

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    Until they find out how to force you to upgrade....
    It is Apple after all!
    Meh. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.