Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Themes Section Comes to Cydia

I think they both have a place. and its great that cydia's theme section has been updated.
    I'll smoke it with ya bro, we'll go to the loony bin together. I don't give a ****!
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=jfriends4438%40gmai  l%2ecom&lc=US&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsB  F%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted

Nice job Jay! The only problem is that (no offense) the majority of the themes are MMI themes... The best ones are on Deviant Art and MacThemes.

I foresee this being a great profit harvester for great themers.... this makes me want to finish my WIP them...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klouud For This Useful Post:

Nick Hesson (01-23-2011), ronfin44 (01-23-2011)

*EDIT*

Just went to check-out the Cydia update and themes section, and it's EXACTLY what I assumed a few moments ago. Saurik has updated the way we can get to the themes, but it's the same crappy themes that were on there before and wayyyy over-priced. Junk. I'll stick to going to MacThemes Forum / iOS Releases and installing them manually. The quality is much better there, and most of them are free.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    Pretty sure you're wrong, and it was pretty shady of Saurik to kindly ask ThemeIt to delay their release and then all-of-a-sudden he drops this? C'mon, that's just weak. He asked them to delay their release intentionally so he had time to get this up and running. Sorry I'm pointing out the obvious. ThemeIt just looks better, and even though Saurik has given us a new way to see themes on Cydia, it doesn't change the fact that they'll still be the old non-updated ones like before regardless of what text he's written to promise otherwise.

(Prove me wrong Cydia)
    1) Saurik didn't ask Theme It to delay their release. He understood Theme It was an answer to something that Cydia was lacking, and Saurik was going to - in time - provide those features. He told Theme It that they did not need to be released at all because he doesn't want fragmentation in the community (which is now being done).

2) This theme update was being worked on since December. Although it was something that was being worked on, Saurik DID go public with it to several individuals (myself included) once Theme It was publicly announced. But it was always in the work and only held back from the lack of a general index in Cydia (which is now in place to make the featured theme section and sections like it easier to maintain).

3) Theme It is BEAUTIFUL and well designed, I agree. Cydia IS being re-worked on and, I'm hoping, it'll be more aesthetically pleasing.

4) The featured theme section is EASIER now to maintain this time around than before. Before, it was done ENTIRELY by hand, and that hand was Saurik's. It was way to cumbersome to maintain realistically - which is one of the reasons why it was abandoned (also Saurik was busy with the Rock acquisition). ALSO, this time around, Saurik is not in charge of updating the featured theme section this time around. There is a committee encompassing selected members of ModMyi and MacCiti that will be in charge of creating this list every 2 weeks.

Hope this answered a couple of questions.
    #eli7e revived me

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

jasvncnt10 (01-24-2011), Nick Hesson (01-23-2011)

Well thanks, but I didn't really ask or have any questions. However, can we stop trying to cloak "Competition" with the word "fragmentation"? Enough already. I would LOVE to see other developers compete with Cydia and even create more alternatives to having JUST Cydia to purchase/install these kind of themes and apps that Apple doesn't approve of. It was sad when Rock went under and we went back to having just Cydia to use. Any monopoly is NEVER good for ANYTHING, and trying to say "I don't wanna see fragmentation...blah blah blah" is his excuse at deterring competition.

He did ask [them] to delay their release for whatever reason if you read what was said earlier, so I don't understand why you say otherwise. *EDIT* Here's the statement and link, unless MMi is reporting erroneously:

ThemeIt: A New Theme Store App Brings Competition to Cydia

"In fact, Saurik has already been in touch with the folks behind ThemeIt, and has politely asked that they hold back on releasing such a product, but ThemeIt is keeping it's plans to release."
    Last edited by ronfin44; 01-23-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

Couldn't the creator of themeiT directly work with jay, & implement their work into Cydia itself. That would have been the best solution.

I see a lot of issues coming up afterthe release. Themeit should have been a section in Cydia or something

Thanks

Well thanks, but I didn't really ask or have any questions. However, can we stop trying to cloak "Competition" with the word "fragmentation"? Enough already. I would LOVE to see other developers compete with Cydia and even create more alternatives to having JUST Cydia to purchase/install these kind of themes and apps that Apple doesn't approve of. It was sad when Rock went under and we went back to having just Cydia to use. Any monopoly is NEVER good for ANYTHING, and trying to say "I don't wanna see fragmentation...blah blah blah" is his excuse at deterring competition.

He did ask [them] to delay their release for whatever reason if you read what was said earlier, so I don't understand why you say otherwise. *EDIT* Here's the statement and link, unless MMi is reporting erroneously:

"In fact, Saurik has already been in touch with the folks behind ThemeIt, and has politely asked that they hold back on releasing such a product, but ThemeIt is keeping it's plans to release."
    I say otherwise because I received those emails personally. It wasn't necessarily asking them to HOLD BACK release, but to re-evaluate the need for it at all due to the face that the changes Theme It intends to bring and augment are the changes being brought to Cydia in time.

Personally, I believe in competition. However, I'm keeping my own beliefs aside and just giving you guys the actual facts of the case.
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 01-23-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    #eli7e revived me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

ronfin44 (01-23-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Competition is good for business!

Quote Originally Posted by KBI2113 View Post
    This post isn't about ThemeIt, so take that story here- ThemeIt: A New Theme Store App Brings Competition to Cydia
    I'm personally excited about this update. Anything new that I can learn more about is always a positive.
    Uh excuse me? My post was in regards to saurik's response with the CYDIA THEME store in response to Themeit. I'm not taking my post anywhere as it was an entirely relevant criticism/question as to what saurik's motive are with such a move. While it is clear that it will, in the end, benefit the end user there is still a question of motivation. Why did it take a competing entity for saurik to clean up cydia? Again I'll pose the question: for purposes of control or to avoid fragmentation? While it is great that saurik tidied things, which has been long overdue IMO, and while it is also great to see that another group of people will be enhancing the user experience in regards to themes with Themeit something is still a bit fishy about saurik's timing. While saurik does all of this basically for free, and the money he does earn is, as previously stated, more than well deserved I don't think I'm out of bounds here. Seriously. Cydia has not changed all that much since the beginning. Rock came along, offered a much loved alternative to some users(not me, I've always used cydia). What happened, Saurik swallowed it up thus effectively stifling any competition in the JB world. While I didn't particularly care for rock it had some great features. I loved it's download interface, it's speed, extensions panel and that eliminated the need for things like pkgbackup with it's built-in backup. I'd love to see some of these features show up in cydia along with a big UI overhaul. It's great to see the theme store is here, now. Sucks that it takes someone threatening saurik's ability to control things for him to innovate. So on that note I believe this post was completely within context. So go troll somewhere else.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mvhurlburt For This Useful Post:

jasvncnt10 (01-24-2011)

What about the themes that support both HD and SD in the same Package?
    Would the theme appear both on the HD and SD section?
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Jay got fat and lazy, and this is what happens. Now he's playing catch-up.

Thanks

If you have suggestions for the Featured Themes section, post here:

HD Themes:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-ne...ection-hd.html

SD Themes:
    Nominations for Cydia's "Featured Themes" Section (SD)

iPad section coming soon.
    #eli7e revived me

17. The Following User Says Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

Doran (01-23-2011)

I'm not bashing anyone here but I think its funny that some of the theme creators that are in the featured section of CYDIA are making arguments against themeit and sticking up for Jay while the some of the ones not featured in it are all for themeit. funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by x2dope View Post
    I'm not bashing anyone here but I think its funny that some of the theme creators that are in the featured section of CYDIA are making arguments against themeit and sticking up for Jay while the some of the ones not featured in it are all for themeit. funny how that works.
    At the end of the day, under all this competition & talk, I things for sure, & no one tell me other wise, for some themers it's all about the money

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    If you have suggestions for the Featured Themes section, post here:

HD Themes:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-ne...ection-hd.html

SD Themes:
    Nominations for Cydia's "Featured Themes" Section (SD)

iPad section coming soon.
    iPad section not coming soon enough.....

Thanks

I've never argued against Theme It. If I could be in both stores, I would - but this is the way it is. Theme It is a beautiful and well-designed store with Themers in mind; and they have done a terrific job. Competition is healthy, it's been proven for generations and generations. But in the end, it is survival of the fittest... that has been proven for millenias.

But I do understand your sentiment. ^_^
    #eli7e revived me

22. The Following User Says Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

toyvan (01-23-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Got to love non-compete agreements

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

The fact that you categorically label all monopolies as bad/evil explains your logic.

Wow. Nice to see.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast