+ Reply
Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ThemeIt: A New Theme Store App Brings Competition to Cydia

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZph_jmf0o]YouTube - Theme it, the theme store - Teaser 1a (with sound) : the iPhone app[/ame] It's easy to see that one of the most successful items sold in the
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default ThemeIt: A New Theme Store App Brings Competition to Cydia
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZph_jmf0o]YouTube - Theme it, the theme store - Teaser 1a (with sound) : the iPhone app[/ame]

It's easy to see that one of the most successful items sold in the Cydia store hands down is Winterboard Themes. With hundreds of designers and millions of users theming their iPhone, iPod and iPad, it creates quite a community of people. Since Cydia aquired Rock, every theme you purchase generally comes through Cydia, unless you perhaps donated to a designer.

With less than only a day left before it's launch, there are some variables that could shake up the "competition", indirectly bringing some headaches to our iPhone god, Saurik, the man behind Cydia. In fact, Saurik has already been in touch with the folks behind ThemeIt, and has politely asked that they hold back on releasing such a product, but ThemeIt is keeping it's plans to release. However, over the course of all of this, it sounds like ThemeIt has lost their original repository partner, and that word has been travelling from within the community encouraging themers to stay away from the project. No Comment.

An artcile over at ReadWriteWeb, goes into detail on the response given from ThemeIt, speaking out about their view on competition and in the end, only seem to make things more heated, not really helping the situation.

Well community? What do you think? Is there room for another App Store? As much as I want to see the theme community push for upgrades and new ways to be a part of it all with ease and intuitive browsing, I can only see a headache forming for both Saurik, and ThemeIt from this process. In my opinion, things need to be closely discussed between ThemeIt and Saurik to come to a reasonable solution. We'll keep up with this release tomorrow and let you know what happens. I'll try and get Saurik to give us his thoughts as well so it's not all hear-say... yeah thats right I gave my opinion anyways.

From ThemeIt:
    A carefully designed platform (application and website) allowing focus on high-quality themes and also the artists behind the themes in a way that wasn't possible before… it's the Theme Store you've been dreaming of using.

With some of the best theme creators already on-board we can guarantee you'll have access to amazing and exclusive content in an environment that's sure to meet everyone's needs. Focusing on high-quality, complete themes, the goal of Theme it isn't to have a million themes in the gallery… but the best ones available.

The platform includes a very user-friendly website and an iPhone/iTouch application to showcase and distribute the themes with instant access to the information you really want, such as screenshots, details, compatibility and much more. You'll also have the opportunity to learn a little more about the artists that create the themes you love and use. A section will be dedicated to these wonderful designers.
    Sources: ReadWriteWeb, ThemeIt
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 01-22-2011 at 05:56 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

bobobo7723 (01-24-2011), carolinamic (01-22-2011), CaryDude (01-23-2011), eenofonn (01-22-2011), Gustavo Saliola (01-24-2011), JayQuint87 (01-23-2011), LOAD error (01-22-2011), R0nst0pable (01-22-2011), reaves205 (01-23-2011), reeco (01-23-2011), skizo (01-23-2011), SnowLeo (01-22-2011), toyvan (01-22-2011), turkey26 (01-23-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This looks like fun to explore! Can't wait for another option in themeing

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Khoffice For This Useful Post:

toyvan (01-22-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I love how you said you weren't gonna give your opinion but did it anyway lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketshipVirus For This Useful Post:

skj8100 (01-23-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Fragmentation? Bad.
    Competition? I suppose it's good.

If it makes browsing for themes more intuitive then I am all for it <_<.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Radex For This Useful Post:

toyvan (01-22-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just added this to my blog, looks pretty sweet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamDowning For This Useful Post:

toyvan (01-22-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand how this will make life more difficult for Saurik. Could someone please explain?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ev_ol For This Useful Post:

toyvan (01-22-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,397 Posts

Themeit Is going to be dope I know it's where I'll host my themes

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eenofonn For This Useful Post:

Tizocman (01-22-2011), toyvan (01-22-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

saurik will a great helper needs to understand that he cant control everyone else and if he is trying to control what gets released hes no better then the app store app submission members and apple that "for the good of the people" (sarcasm) is trying control things, i respect him for what he has done but we dont buy the competition is bad, if we did we wouldn't jailbreak and become mindless zombies

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tizocman For This Useful Post:

Gustavo Saliola (01-24-2011), toyvan (01-22-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

whats the big deal over themeit?

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Most of the themes on Cydia are complete crap so it really doesn't matter. You want good themes? Deviantart.com or macthemes.com.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to klouud For This Useful Post:

holygamer22 (01-22-2011), ronfin44 (01-22-2011), Tizocman (01-22-2011), toyvan (01-22-2011), Wildtoyo101 (01-22-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ev_ol View Post
    I'm not sure I understand how this will make life more difficult for Saurik. Could someone please explain?
    Saurik already sells themes in his store and has worked very hard at keeping everything under control. With an additional store, even though it's just themes, he's got competition, which means he can't control the way things evolve for themes in the future.

Green Apple
    Thanks

it wont except he wont be able to make money from themeit and saurik wants to control everything jailbreaken.
    Last edited by Tizocman; 01-22-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tizocman For This Useful Post:

toyvan (01-22-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really don't believe saurik is opposing this just because he won't have control ( this isn't SJ here). What's the actual reason?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leathelisor For This Useful Post:

brocktonma (01-22-2011), DaCodec (01-27-2011), EdmundGerber (01-23-2011)

Thanks

Wow!!! It's looks great!! So can u mix themes? With this??

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Saurik is acting like Apple.

I'm all for this new ThemeIt.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ronfin44 For This Useful Post:

Gustavo Saliola (01-24-2011), h2a (01-22-2011), landon418 (01-24-2011), toyvan (01-22-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Most of the themes on Cydia are complete crap so it really doesn't matter. You want good themes? Deviantart.com or macthemes.com.
    that's the whole point of themeit... regulated theme submissions... not every yahoo with 5 icons can submit it and charge you for it

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eenofonn For This Useful Post:

toyvan (01-22-2011), WRX-KANO (01-23-2011)

Thanks
    You know, most people jailbreak to loose the bonds that apple imposes on their phones/ipods. Seems to me that Saurik wants to be a mini apple and control the jb community. I hate that rock was absorbed because it was faster and the UI was better IMO. Hopefully this can at least get started and become another alternative.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to jevarner For This Useful Post:

toyvan (01-22-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jevarner View Post
    You know, most people jailbreak to loose the bonds that apple imposes on their phones/ipods. Seems to me that Saurik wants to be a mini apple and control the jb community. I hate that rock was absorbed because it was faster and the UI was better IMO. Hopefully this can at least get started and become another alternative.
    Guys the store will be strictly for themes... I think everyone is getting confused about the point here... Themeit is going to be a fully featured "THEME STORE" not another/replacement "CYDIA"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eenofonn View Post
    that's the whole point of themeit... regulated theme submissions... not every yahoo with 5 icons can submit it and charge you for it
    This I like. I don't even browse themes on cydia anymore because there is 10 billion themes on there and 99% of them are well, ******. I'm all for themeit if they actually regulate the submissions and don't allow every single theme to be on there, only the best of the best. I don't get what the big deal is about it, except competition for cydia.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TypeRBass For This Useful Post:

eenofonn (01-22-2011), toyvan (01-22-2011), WRX-KANO (01-23-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Agreed!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Antman217 For This Useful Post:

toyvan (01-22-2011)