+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Qualcomm Baseband Clues Found in iTunes Source

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Qualcomm Baseband Clues Found in iTunes Source

Evidence of Qualcomm baseband software has been found inside the source code of the current version of iTunes, confirming that Apple has ended its sole reliance on Infineon as the supplier of baseband chips for iOS devices. A decompile of the iTunes source done by an Italian coder uncovered two files that are telltales of Qualcomm baseband, though there's no hard evidence of which device they might be used for. Possibilities include the upcoming Verizon iPhone or a potential "dual-mode" GSM/CDMA iPhone 5 or iPad 2.

Piergiorgio "Zibri" Zambrini decompiled the iTunes 10.1.1 source code, finding references to two files - "partition.mbn" and "amss.mbn" which would be used for flashing a Qualcomm baseband chip, fusing it to a particular iOS device and carrier-locking it. The file "partition.mbn" is the flash partition table while "amss.mbn" is the baseband OS. Other files found in the decompile point to an Infineon baseband, either for backward compatibility of as an indication that Apple will use multiple suppliers on future devices. While there's no clear evidence either way, the inclusion of these files might indicate GSM/CDMA devices that could be used on virtually any carrier's network anywhere in the world.

Zambrini is well-known in the community, developing the ZiPhone one-click jailbreak/unlock tool for iPhone OS, which used an unsigned ramdisk to boot the exploit. He's since worked on jailbreaks for other devices like the Huawei E585 and E5830 portable MiFi 3G hotspots.

Source: AppleInsider

Thanks

Interesting

Thanks

Go away Zibri.
    Hmm...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is so off topic but has any one else with AT&T received a letter in the mail stating how 4G is coming soon within the year and international roaming as well? Cause I just received a letter in the mail yesterday but didn't read it till today and I was talking to a few friends and so far no one else has received this letter either so far am the only one? So just wondering?
    Cause it says in several areas around the country so since I recieved one does that mean my area will be getting it?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,101 Times in 6,940 Posts

Aah, memories...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    will this pose problems for JB?
    No, but it may for unlocking.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

guess we will see. I would laugh if somehow it made unlocking easier in the upcoming models...

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    No, but it may for unlocking.
    I would think with new hardware comes new code and new vulnerabilities Could go either way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I would think with new hardware comes new code and new vulnerabilities Could go either way.
    It certainly could. Who knows may open things up again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    This is so off topic but has any one else with AT&T received a letter in the mail stating how 4G is coming soon within the year and international roaming as well? Cause I just received a letter in the mail yesterday but didn't read it till today and I was talking to a few friends and so far no one else has received this letter either so far am the only one? So just wondering?
    Cause it says in several areas around the country so since I recieved one does that mean my area will be getting it?
    I have.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be cool to be able to switch networks and keep the same phone. We'll see what happens though!

Thanks

ZiPhone...great memories.

This might help hackers to find a way to make it unlockable.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I received that email as well, and it really made me laugh. AT&T is MONTHS away from offering me a reliable signal much less 3G coverage. I could care less about 4G, AT&T can suck it for all I care. Pretty stupid to talk up another network when the one you already have ain't worth a damn.

Zibri is back huh? Wonder how many phones he's going to screw up with the stolen code he's going to have should he release a half *** tool.
    HK-Z on Game Center

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ZiPhone was great back in the day for my original iPhone. Never had a single problem with it.
    Good work Zibri

iPhone? More like MyPhone ash3s2012's Avatar
    Thanks

I got it like a week ago

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Yep, I feel the sane way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    ZiPhone was great back in the day for my original iPhone. Never had a single problem with it.
    Good work Zibri
    Zibri high conflict personality, great method !
    iPhone 4 with 4.1 Out of the box

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

i think that a dual ipad would cool if they keep it where you can pay month to month with no contract, that way if you know your going somewhere that one network doesnt work at then just pay for the other network
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!