+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BigStream Streamlines iOS Streaming

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Bigstream , a soon-to-be released device for iOS, will provide an incredibly simple way for users to stream their screen output to an external display. It's offering features similar to
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default BigStream Streamlines iOS Streaming

Bigstream, a soon-to-be released device for iOS, will provide an incredibly simple way for users to stream their screen output to an external display. It's offering features similar to Apple TV's AirPlay, with some more particular add-ons.

Bigstream plugs directly into the 30 pin dock connector and wirelessly transmits signal to a receiver which is connected to the external display via a composite cable. The company says this reduces latency. Why is this device different from the Apple TV? They're touting that the device can work in tandem with the 2nd gen Apple TV, but Bigstream offers a couple advantages not seen currently on Apple's tiny streaming device. 

First, Bigstream requires almost no setup, as the connection is ad-hoc. There's no need to connect to a wireless network, which the company says is great for the device's portability. You can easily use the device in your home and then bring it to a meeting or public place, and Bigstream will work just the same. Second, the device can display video from 3rd-party apps, and because there's almost no latency, it allows users to play games with an input device like another iOS device. The [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viVIRMXxXbY&feature=player_embedded"]demo[/ame] video shot at CES shows an iPad connected via BigStream, being controlled by an iPhone, something not possible at this point with the Apple TV.

The device is $99 on BigStream's web site. They're also offering a device compatibility page to check if your devices will work with bigstream (it will actually work with the iPod nano as well as most iOS devices).

Bigstream should be available in about a month.

Source:
    TUAW

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Savoca For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (01-21-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

First, wish i had that kind of money

Thanks

Lol at the headline. Also I think I would want to use an iPad to control an iPhone. Lol

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there a way to plug in a dock connector into the unit as well? Seems like this thing is going to be a giant battery hog if it runs off the idevice battery
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (01-25-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

What program did he use to control the iPad using the iPhone?

Reason I ask is because I've been looking to replace my ugly desktop with a device that can receive streams from my slingbox, hulu, and netflix. I know they're are a lot of devices that can do the later two, but there are not a lot of devices that also do slingbox. With this device, I can get rid of my ugly old desktop and just use my iPad connected to the TV to watch television. Only Issue I have is controlling the iPad but on the video, it shows them using the iPhone for that specific task.
    Last edited by djrbx; 01-21-2011 at 02:10 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is a cool gadget. Any idea what game he is playing during the demo?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sacbut34 View Post
    This is a cool gadget. Any idea what game he is playing during the demo?
    He says it during the video. It's called The Incident. It's available as a universal app for $2.99 and you can control it with another iOS device.

It's also available on the mac app store but I don't think it supports a iOS controller or i just haven't figured that out yet on my mac.
    BluewoodBoarder!

8g iPhone, 2 GHz Core Duo (black) MacBook w/ 2gigs of ram..

Green Apple
    Thanks

So, does it work on anything that supports video out? Or does it work for everything since it uses the pin connector? Or do the apps have to specifically support BigStream?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidmdowning42 View Post
    So, does it work on anything that supports video out? Or does it work for everything since it uses the pin connector? Or do the apps have to specifically support BigStream?
    I think it works for everything. Good question though.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks pretty decent, don't think I'd spend that much for it though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

To bad it's not HDMI and optical sound, plus it needs some type of port to charge the iDevice while using the mainstream dongle.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    No HDMI = Fail !!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    No HDMI = Fail !!!!
    Forget HDMI, this thing isn't even component! This is using sh!tty composite connectors?? I literally laughed when I saw that. I wouldn't pay $99 for anything that still has a 1985 yellow RCA connector on it.. get real dude.

Remember how ****** your N64 and SNES looked when you hooked it up to your HDTV? Yeah.. this thing would look awful. If it was $20 MAYBE.. MAYBE. But this is no replacement for even hooking up Apple's component cable.. I'll stick with the cable, thanks. Call me when you support ANYTHING above analog 480i.

LOL.. look at their 'specs' page.. doesn't even list resolution or connector type.. hahah http://getbigstream.com/productDetails/

Also this is an outright lie.. they claim they support 480p. Sorry bud, that's not possible with an Analog connection.. are you guys for real? Maybe I should sue for false advertising http://getbigstream.com/_docs/Bigstr...FAQs%20ENG.pdf

Lastly, the iPad's screen is black during this demonstration. My bet is it can't process video on both the iPad and the TV. On top of that, how would you control it if you were playing something like Angry Birds? You can't see what you're clicking! Even if you did use an iPhone to control it, is it gonna send the video over there so you can see what you're doing? Bet you my lunch money it doesn't. This thing is completely worthless.
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 01-22-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Not a bad idea
    Not a bad idea, can't see myself using it tho

Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 856 Posts

What about the other way around? Why not transmit videos from your computer to your iPad? That way I can choose to stream any of my 200+ movies directly to my eyeballs as I chill in bed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    What about the other way around? Why not transmit videos from your computer to your iPad? That way I can choose to stream any of my 200+ movies directly to my eyeballs as I chill in bed.
    But you can't control the computer. Unless you were also running Team Viewer at the same time.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    But you can't control the computer. Unless you were also running Team Viewer at the same time.
    That would be the exact issue

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

i think its a great idea but without at least a component connection i wouldnt want it
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!