Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Geohot, Other Jailbreakers Turn Attention Toward Windows Phone 7

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Geohot, Other Jailbreakers Turn Attention Toward Windows Phone 7

On the heels of famed iOS and PlayStation 3 hacker George Hotz (aka Geohot) announcing his intention to jailbreak the new Windows phones, more new and established jailbreakers are similarly coming forward with their plans to temporarily divert attention away from iDevices and, instead, launch a full-blown hack attack on the Windows Phone 7.

As CNET reported Friday, "Microsoft may have put the kibosh on the first jailbreak for the Windows Phone 7 platform," but another one lies just ahead. Developer Julien Schapman, for example, has formally announced plans to release a Windows Phone 7 "Device Manager" that - according to his public comments - will enable the handset to perform certain functions and unleash various attributes not presently available - e.g., side-load applications, the ability to add custom ringtones, etc.

Next month Microsoft's first software update is widely expected. At that time, Schapman says his jailbreak will be released. But many are already wondering if the second jailbreak will go the way of the first. Remember ChevronWP7? The jailbreak released last fall was eventually pulled at Microsoft's request. But unlike Apple and Sony - two companies that have sought legal means to stop jailbreakers - Microsoft has taken a more direct, personal, and some would even say polite approach with the jailbreak community. But one has to wonder how this relationship will evolve as more and more hackers set their sights on the Windows mobile platform.

CNET

I like the name of the program: device manager. A bit more intelligent sounding than the usual names the 1337 crowd comes up with.
    Hmm...

Thanks

Already? Wow.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Last edited by crimson_fried; 01-21-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Roll Tide!

Window mobile is open source........ do a lot more without restriction like Apple.

One of the heads at Microsoft contacted geohot about becoming a developer. They have given him free hardware to play with, and any type of support he needs.

Microsoft is doing what apple should have done. I for one may purchase a w7 phone now, not because of the specs, but because they support Jailbreakers

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cncrim View Post
    Window mobile is open source........ do a lot more without restriction like Apple.
    I'll pretend you didn't say that. Does this sound "open source" to you?

Everything you need to know about Windows Mobile 7

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

babyblue_pimp (01-21-2011), Electrodaktylus (01-22-2011), GellBrake'rrrr (01-22-2011), k.nitsua (01-21-2011), The_13th_Plague (01-24-2011)

this is bad for US with an iDevice....cause with already the windows 7 phone not full out and we still 3 months almost without a unlock for i4 3gs new BB....what would happend when their heads are all turned for WP7 only ? ..

I`m afraid that things would be going a little sqeekie for us with iDevice. !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyepoper View Post
    this is bad for US with an iDevice....cause with already the windows 7 phone not full out and we still 3 months almost without a unlock for i4 3gs new BB....what would happend when their heads are all turned for WP7 only ? ..

I`m afraid that things would be going a little sqeekie for us with iDevice. !!!
    Yeah but there will always be somebody dedicated to idevices. I hope...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like I'm gonna be on 4.1 for a looong time. I mean, I know they're not gonna abandon us... But I feel like the adopted child now. Just jealous I guess.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

All I can say is wow!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Speaking of jb-ing, pod2g just posted a video on twitter of an untethered 4.2.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5qNray7FHU

15. The Following User Says Thank You to novadam For This Useful Post:

Lombardo Joe (01-21-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Temporarily? As in like a week? There's still so much more to do on Apple's stuff like the iPhone 4 unlock and 4.2.1/ 4.3 untethered Jailbreak

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No. If I don't get a jailbreak by feb. Sony is going to be the least of geohotz problems >. How does he lead us to think he going to help with rubyra1n and then this Grrrr

Please somone save me why does apple not just let us jailbreak! Idc take away instalous just let me get bitesms so I can watch Netflix in peace

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JAYPIFF For This Useful Post:

brocktonma (01-22-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JAYPIFF View Post
    How does he lead us to think he going to help with rubyra1n and then this Grrrr
    Wasn't rubyra1n our speculation? I was under the impression that he had taken out lots of domains at the same time to secure them for the future. rubyra1n might not even be real. At least that's what I understood from the news post.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYPIFF View Post
    No. If I don't get a jailbreak by feb. Sony is going to be the least of geohotz problems >. How does he lead us to think he going to help with rubyra1n and then this Grrrr

Please somone save me why does apple not just let us jailbreak! Idc take away instalous just let me get bitesms so I can watch Netflix in peace

It's whining comments like this that make me happy to not be an IPhone owner anymore. Not because I dont have to wait for JB solutions now, oh no. Because I dont have to read the inane, whining post around here about the same old crap everyday anymore.

"I want a jailbreak! make me one now!"

Get over it and just use your phone like it is. If you do not like it, get a different phone and move on with life. I really thought some of you would stop acting like 10 year olds by now about this stuff but I guess that is never going to happen.

I'm out, if you reply I will not even read it. So go ahead and feel free to boost your ego on the INTERNET by TRYING to make a valid point and defending your self. Fact is that most of you around here are nothing more than leeches that do nothing but whine and cry about what you DO NOT have and can't be happy with what you DO have. Get over your self.
    Roll Tide!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    speaking of jb-ing, pod2g just posted a video on twitter of an untethered 4.2.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5qnray7fhu
    Excellent! Thank you!

I personally will never go to a Windows phone. Regardless of them JB'ing it. Ill stick with my i4 and stay on 4.1

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crimson_fried View Post
    It's whining comments like this that make me happy to not be an IPhone owner anymore. Not because I dont have to wait for JB solutions now, oh no. Because I dont have to read the inane, whining post around here about the same old crap everyday anymore.

"I want a jailbreak! make me one now!"

Get over it and just use your phone like it is. If you do not like it, get a different phone and move on with life. I really thought some of you would stop acting like 10 year olds by now about this stuff but I guess that is never going to happen.

I'm out, if you reply I will not even read it. So go ahead and feel free to boost your ego on the INTERNET by TRYING to make a valid point and defending your self. Fact is that most of you around here are nothing more than leeches that do nothing but whine and cry about what you DO NOT have and can't be happy with what you DO have. Get over your self.
    And yet here you are, reading and commenting on the "whining" post...sounds like its working out great for ya!

There will still be ppl working on iDevices, no worries.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

jasvncnt10 (01-24-2011), KBI2113 (01-21-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast