+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Readies Universal iPhone Bumpers Before Verizon Launch

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple's solution to the perceived problem of iPhone bumpers designed for AT&T's iPhone 4 being used on the forthcoming Verizon iPhone has now become apparent. Meet the new universal iPhone
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Readies Universal iPhone Bumpers Before Verizon Launch

Apple's solution to the perceived problem of iPhone bumpers designed for AT&T's iPhone 4 being used on the forthcoming Verizon iPhone has now become apparent. Meet the new universal iPhone bumper, which you may or may not have already seen in your local Apple store. While appearing largely identical to the original bumpers, there's now a larger cutout around the mute button. This change, of course, is necessary to accommodate its lower placement on Verizon's CDMA version of the handset.

If you're not a fan of Apple-made bumpers, have no fear. There will be no shortage of third-party companies cranking out GSM and CDMA compatible cases as well Verizon-specific iPhone 4 bumpers in the weeks and months ahead. Given the mind-blowing industry estimates of how many millions of iPhones will be sold this year as a result of Verizon's acquisition, the bumper business will likely be booming for quite some time.

Beginning February 10th, Apple - which still hasn't formally announced the new universal bumpers or even tweaked online descriptions of its cases - will make the iPhone available to Verizon customers for $199.99 (16GB) and $299.99 (32GB). Previous reports of Apple store employee vacation blackouts in early February have since been confirmed and now appear to directly correlate to the expected rush of traffic Apple stores will see when the Verizon iPhone debuts in less than three weeks.

Wired

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So will they be doing the whole free bumper thing with the verizon iPhone as well :-/
    Buy and veriphone get a free bumper??

Am with AT&T but just thought I ask for those who will be leaving us for verizon in Case they were wondering the same??
    Even though I seriously doubt it but still doesn't hurt to ask...

Thanks

i thought the whole point of the bumper was to solve the "Death Grip" issue. I'm would think that the Verizon iP4 wouldn't need a bumper. That's just my thought. I'm sure one of you in the know will correct me : )

Thanks

i did think they would have to make a different set of bumpers....well i guess they will but at least they will fit both phones so they only have to spend half as much money making the universal fit ones
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orozcoj4 View Post
    i thought the whole point of the bumper was to solve the "Death Grip" issue. I'm would think that the Verizon iP4 wouldn't need a bumper. That's just my thought. I'm sure one of you in the know will correct me : )
    No, the bumpers were there just for a stylish case initially, then they realized it somehow fixed the deathgrip and then started giving them out for free. So yes, they supposedly fixed the deathgrip in the veriphone but they are making these ones not for the deathgrip but just for the sake of having a nice accessory, which was what they where initially for anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Interestingly enough, my INCASE bumper that I got as part of the free iPhone 4 case program already has an opening that goes quite a bit lower than the vibrate slider.

It would seem that some cases won't even have to be re-made at all.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my iPhone without a case on it, it feels so much better in my hands.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    So will they be doing the whole free bumper thing with the verizon iPhone as well :-/
    Buy and veriphone get a free bumper??

Am with AT&T but just thought I ask for those who will be leaving us for verizon in Case they were wondering the same??
    Even though I seriously doubt it but still doesn't hurt to ask...
    i doubt it because apparently the new phone doesnt have the antenna problem which was the only reason apple gave away free cases

Quote Originally Posted by apexad View Post
    Interestingly enough, my INCASE bumper that I got as part of the free iPhone 4 case program already has an opening that goes quite a bit lower than the vibrate slider.

It would seem that some cases won't even have to be re-made at all.
    are you talking about the case that clips on the back, the one i have, the mute opening goes low but i think that they would still remake it so that it fits perfectly instead of have just fit
    Last edited by EskimoRuler; 01-22-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!