+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Starbucks Mobile App Lets You Pay with iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Starbucks Mobile App Lets You Pay with iPhone

The Starbucks Card Mobile app now lets you pay for coffee purchases with an iPhone or iPod Touch. Starbucks launched a pilot program to test the system in 2009 and now the payment system is available nation wide. Nearly 6800 retail locations and over 1000 Target stores are now accepting payments via mobile device. No longer will you have to keep track of those multiple gift cards you got for Christmas. As long as you’ve got your iPhone, you’ll always be able to pay for your coffee.

The Starbucks Card Mobile app has the option of putting in a credit card number or input a gift card number. Your current balance appears on screen when you launch the app. You can also add value to the card using PayPal. If you choose to input a credit card number, however, only the last four digits will appear on screen. The app also features a passcode option for an extra level of security.

To make a purchase, simply launch the app, then tap the “touch to pay” button and a bar code will pop up for the cashier to scan. The purchase is then automatically deducted from your total balance. After that, feel free to over-caffeinate with a Trenta cappuccino (actually the new Trenta size is only available for cold drinks).

Some mobile payment systems require the use of a custom RFID chip either imbedded in the mobile device itself or in an attached case. Starbucks has created a system of payment that works with your current mobile phone and doesn’t require the use of any specialize equipment. Hopefully, this system of payment will catch on and more companies will start using it as well. I know that my iPhone is never too far away from me. What could be easier that launching an app to pay for a caramel macchiato on a hot summer day.

Source: MacWorld

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like the future! I do like a good coffee

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

Sugar Sugar give me Sugar, when's this available in the UK ?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw this the other day, looks pretty cool. Fast and easy payment for those customers who are regulars. I heard that instead of scanning the bar on your phone they're wanting to use Near Field Communications (NFC) so the customer can make a purchase just by getting in the proximity of the sensors.

Apple's filed patents for RFID- or NFC phones, that still doesn't mean it'll happen, but still, pretty cool stuff out there.

Source: MacRumors

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Are you serious about this post.

This app or feature is like months old now. I've been using this to pay for my mochas for like the last month in a half now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post

This app or feature is like months old now. I've been using this to pay for my mochas for like the last month in a half now.

i work at starbucks and i think its only big news now because almost all the stores can scan the phones this way now. They had to send us new scanners.

but also i remember reading this on gizmodo yesterday.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree. This app and option has been available in NYC for months now, since the last update.

Thanks

Nahhh, I don't like coffee,, but that's me,.. next!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any idea when hooters will have an app like this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiman View Post
    Any idea when hooters will have an app like this?
    Lmao

Green Apple
    Thanks

I work at starbucks too and while awesome the downside for us as employees is that were not supposed to touch the phones, the customer is in charge of scanning it. And when you work in an area proliferated with the elderly this can be a little cumbersome, however we break it we buy it so if youre looking to upgrade try handing your phone to a barista who doesnt know better lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm confused - why would I want to use this instead of just using my credit card or cash?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ODB25 For This Useful Post:

friscosooner (01-21-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post

lucky you, AGES ago I tried to use this and the Starbucks I went to were like when i showed it to them. Fast forward to now, when I have a gold card, and they STILL don't get it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ODB25 View Post
    I'm confused - why would I want to use this instead of just using my credit card or cash?
    Are you gen-Y?
    Aite Group, LLC Report #2011011201

Fact: Use of cash is going down for a variety of reasons.
    Fact: A third of Starbucks customers use smartphones
    Fact: Smartphone users are easily enticed with bells and whistles and will spend more money if their smartphone lets them do it easily.

But, seriously, we're probably going to see a few more of these things until VISA/Mastercard/AmEx get in on it and make it just as easy to use a phone-app tied to a card. If I could do this with my debit card, that would be great. Unfortunately, we are still behind Europe in the adoption of 'chipped' cards using a PIN for transactions (with each trip to Europe I get more people at restaurants that give me that 'how quaint' look when I tell them they need to 'swipe' my card -- one even needed to get a manager because they didn't know how to do it.)

Until then, I may use this app: I keep getting Starbucks gift cards and I end up leaving them at home, losing them or letting them expire before I use them up. Now I can just key it into the app and toss the card -- I may also have a better idea of how much I have left on the 'card' via the app.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    I'm sure we will be kept "A- Breast" of it LOL
    Now that's funny.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Green Apple
    Thanks

Useless. It is so much easier for people to whip out that card and hand it to the cashier, without interrupting the call they always seem to be making while in line at Starbucks.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I like this idea and hope to be able to use my credit card or debit card like this and also use something like this at the airports as well.... its the future!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizi View Post
    Useless. It is so much easier for people to whip out that card and hand it to the cashier, without interrupting the call they always seem to be making while in line at Starbucks.
    But what if you left your gift card at home or you're not sure of the remaining balance? If the phone is already in my hand because I'm in the middle of a call then I can just tap on the app and I'm set...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this sounds pretty awesome. be really great when everyone is on board with stuff like this including the DMV. then I won't even have to carry my wallet.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by havoc0351 View Post
    But what if you left your gift card at home or you're not sure of the remaining balance? If the phone is already in my hand because I'm in the middle of a call then I can just tap on the app and I'm set...
    I think most people use bank cards or credit cards, and never leave home without them. If all you use are gift cards, you probably don't actually visit Starbucks very often anyway.