Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reader's Digest Now Available For iPad

Default Reader's Digest Now Available For iPad

One of the most popular publications of all time in the United States, Reader's Digest, is now available for the iPad.

The app is a wrapper of the magazine that allows the user to download full issues of the magazine that can be flipped through, as if the user were reading the magazine. Every issue includes all the editorial content that is available in the print version, and the app also includes special interactive content, available exclusively for the iPad, including slide shows, videos, and interactive polls.

February's issue should include even more iPad-specific content, including automatically updating pages called the 'Daily Digest' which includes content from the magazine's website. Each issue will be available as a $3.99 in-app purchase, which is much more expensive than the $10 per year currently offered for the print version. It's also quite different than digital subscription plans, such as the one recently implemented in the UK by The Guardian.

You can download the free app now, which includes a preview copy of next month's issue, giving the user a taste of how to use the app, and how to navigate the magazine via the iPad. We'll see if the magazine sells a significant amount of digital copies, even though it's priced as much as four times the amount of the print version.

Source:
    AppAdvice

"Zinio" app on ipad always had reader's digest for $10 for 10 issues.

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Reader's Digest?! Really?! Good for them, but the cost is a little worrisome though. Their association with the geriatric set had kept them going even when they were ready to stop publication years ago, but it may not be affordable. Think differently RD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by likeafable View Post
    "Zinio" app on ipad always had reader's digest for $10 for 10 issues.
    If you have an e-subscription, is is probly through zinio. They have prices equal to or below print subscription price. You can pay with pay pal too. I like that. In app purchases that are more expensive than the print price make me want to stay where i am. I loved RD as a kid, and am glad to have it (well over) fourty years later. Popular Mechanics and popular Science are also old favorites for me, and i love having them on the ipad. As my eyesight changes, i can just make it bigger!
    Last edited by unklbyl; 01-19-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Misspelled ipad
    unklbyl

I got an iPad from Walmart because they have a 15 day return policy, and I am not trying to be trite, but I found my self very very bored with it. I couldn't wait to return it, and have my $540 back. To this day, I don't see the appeal of an iPad, especially when you own an iPhone 4.

I got an iPad from Walmart because they have a 15 day return policy, and I am not trying to be trite, but I found my self very very bored with it. I couldn't wait to return it, and have my $540 back. To this day, I don't see the appeal of an iPad, especially when you own an iPhone 4.
    It sounds more like a impulse buy. I think everyone has different uses for the iPad. I watch tv, read magazines, watch movies, ect.

Every since I bought my iPad, I do less and less on my iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by roy4423 View Post
    It sounds more like a impulse buy. I think everyone has different uses for the iPad. I watch tv, read magazines, watch movies, ect.

I had researched it. I had watched the YouTube videos. I thought I would love, and that somehow i would make sense. But anything the iPad did, I owned something which did it better. Movies? I have a 42" TV, which I can play netflix.

For serious work, like Excel and Word, I have a desktop, and for gaming, I use my iPhone.

I really like the internet browsing on the iPad, but $540 for an internet browsing machine is too much.

To each his own I guess.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
    Hate to see you not like it, sometimes the things you would like on it cost some too and push people away.
    I have both and love them

But these in app subscriptions are crazy expensive it's ridiculous, I know it takes money to out it into digital but really, it shouldn't cost more than the print version at all.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Quote Originally Posted by roy4423 View Post

Since buying my iPad, my iPhone 4 has become...well, a phone

I had researched it. I had watched the YouTube videos. I thought I would love, and that somehow i would make sense. But anything the iPad did, I owned something which did it better. Movies? I have a 42" TV, which I can play netflix.

For serious work, like Excel and Word, I have a desktop, and for gaming, I use my iPhone.

I really like the internet browsing on the iPad, but $540 for an internet browsing machine is too much.

To each his own I guess.
    Sounds to me like you are NOT in a mobile situation much. Otherwise that would be the reason an iPad is better in all these situations than using the stationary items you listed.
    Last edited by cranie; 01-19-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To each his own I guess.
    Now I'm going to get controversial, but I mean no disrespect to anyone. Promise.

May I ask how old you are? A lot of your reasoning sounds like friends of mine who are of "a certain age" and they're just used to doing things the old way.

Example: who watches TV anymore?

Again I really mean no disrespect with my question to you or anyone else, and I'm waiting for iPad 2 personally, but some peoples life styles don't lend themselves to the mobile scene.

I do agree with you some what on the iPhone aspect, though. The iPad really doesn't do That much that the iPhone doesn't. It is just bigger.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

They have funny humor in RD