Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook Disses Android, Windows Tablets

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Tim Cook Disses Android, Windows Tablets

Apple COO Tim Cook came out fighting when asked about competing tablets during the Apple earnings call yesterday, calling them "big," "heavy," "expensive," and "bizarre." The company's acting head made it clear that he shared the hard-driving confidence of founder Steve Jobs when he said that "there's not much out there" in terms of competition. Motorola spinoff Motorola Mobility and Research In Motion showed off new tablets at the Consumer Electronics Show that are expected to go on sale sometime in late March. But in terms of current competition, Cook said that there are only two alternatives to the iPad: Windows and Android tablets. And he minced no words in dissing both competitors.

When it comes to Windows tablets, he dismissed them as "big, heavy and expensive" devices with "very weak battery life" which "require a keyboard or stylus as an input device." He expressed his point of view that "customers are frankly not interested in them," which is reasonable given the fact that Windows tablets have been available for ten years and never caught on. Even market leader HP is having a hard time getting its Slate tablet to market, apparently focusing more on the webOS platform it bought from Palm.

Cook was no less disparaging of Android. Pointing out the fact that even Google has acknowledged that currently-shipping versions of Android were designed for smartphones, he said the size of Android tablets on the market is not "one that would provide what we feel is a real tablet experience." The result, he said was "a scaled-up smartphone, which is a bizarre product in our view." Cook referred to next-generation Android Honeycomb tablets, such as those demonstrated at CES this year, as "vapor," saying that Apple would "assess them as they come out."

However, he added, Apple was "not sitting still," he said, and has a "huge first mover advantage" by being first out of the starting gate in a big way with tablets, with - according to some estimates - 20 million iPads in users' hands before the first Honeycomb tablet hits the market. "So," he concluded, "we're very, very confident with entering into a fight with anyone."

Source: MacWorld

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

dimplenicko (01-20-2011), reaves205 (01-20-2011)

I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewie Griffin For This Useful Post:

Darksecrets (01-20-2011), tomto (01-19-2011), zeroGsti (01-19-2011)

What would anyone expect him to say? He's the COO of Apple. He's not gonna be like, "Well it's a great alternative for anyone who doesn't dig iOS. You should pick one up and try it." I'm pretty sure the employee handbook for anyone who works at Apple has two pages with big bold font saying "APPLE IS BEST EVERYTHING SO SAY THAT AND OTHER STUFF SUCKS, THX".

So doesn't that mean the current iPad is a scaled up iPod?
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Shss don't tell any one the secret that wouldalmot be as bad as telling the truth!

On another note what do people want him to say? "Yay for compitition"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazturtle For This Useful Post:

Darksecrets (01-20-2011), DRFP (01-19-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Essenar View Post
    "APPLE IS BEST EVERYTHING SO SAY THAT AND OTHER STUFF SUCKS, THX".
    Welcome to the CrApple Store

Pretty much LoL

Banned
    Thanks

"big, heavy and expensive"?

now that's a bizarre statement if ever I heard one. and I cant think of anything more expensive than spending several hundred dollars for an iDevice only for it to become outdated 6 months later when Apple introduces the "next gen" device.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    "big, heavy and expensive"?

now that's a bizarre statement if ever I heard one. and I cant think of anything more expensive than spending several hundred dollars for an iDevice only for it to become outdated 6 months later when Apple introduces the "next gen" device.
    12 months*

Apple doesn't release update products within 12 months, not our fault if you buy a apple product 6 months into production.

In fact, android and motorola introduce MANY MANY different models, within only 2-3 months of each other. Trying to have the best android product all year is far more expensive then owning the best apple product all year.
    I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewie Griffin For This Useful Post:

Darksecrets (01-20-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hahaha that article image is hilarious.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to boxxa For This Useful Post:

SirTimothy1 (01-19-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    The iPad is the size of 6 iPod touches. I first bought an iPod classic then iPod nano then iPod touch 32gb 2nd gen then an iPhone/iPhone 4 and 64gb iPad 3G and this thing runs laps around the samsung galaxy tab and the iPod touch. The only thing faster is my iPhone 4 which is funny being my iPad is unjailbroken and my iPhone 4 is.

Thanks
    I like it a lot, mr Cook

First off hilarious image I laughed my *** off, secondly, good competition is healthy and should see good thing come this way hopefully hell have some good ideas to make it better or at least lower the price lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

That picture is awesome hahaha.

War Eagle Tim!! Tear 'em up!

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    This only proves he knows nothing about technology.

Some forms of use have nothing to do with an APP store or making Apple tons of $$$$$$

It's so funny how Apple exec's can be so out of touch, the reason Tablets are in use in business is because sometimes they need a REAL COMPUTER to do some functions that the IPAD cannot.

Plus using the Keyboard is superior to the virtual keyboard of Iphone and Ipad, tablets have them too and people complain about them.

What about Flash?
    Keyboard is too bulky. I prefer the virtual one.

I can wait till they have a cloud iTunes... Then all my iOS devices will be even better.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

What about Flash?
    What about it? Is the full experience of Farmville that important to you?

Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    this only proves he knows nothing about technology.

Some forms of use have nothing to do with an app store or making apple tons of $$$$$$

it's so funny how apple exec's can be so out of touch, the reason tablets are in use in business is because sometimes they need a real computer to do some functions that the ipad cannot.

Plus using the keyboard is superior to the virtual keyboard of iphone and ipad, tablets have them too and people complain about them.

What about flash?
    derp.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Quote Originally Posted by bignighttrain View Post
    The iPad is the size of 6 iPod touches. I first bought an iPod classic then iPod nano then iPod touch 32gb 2nd gen then an iPhone/iPhone 4 and 64gb iPad 3G and this thing runs laps around the samsung galaxy tab and the iPod touch. The only thing faster is my iPhone 4 which is funny being my iPad is unjailbroken and my iPhone 4 is.
    So a 1ghz cpu out runs a 600mhz cpu, I wonder how that is possible. Comparing the current gen. iPod the only difference in the iPad is bigger screen & mobile data. The iPod actually has more features (for now, but will change soon).
    I didn't disagree with the statement that the current tablets like the Galaxy is nothing but a up-scaled phone. That will change soon enough as well.
    If Apple put true full version mac osx on the iPad at the current pricing I would buy 1 in a heart beat, as it is now it's a over sized iPod, or iPhone with no phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    What about it? Is the full experience of Farmville that important to you?
    Maybe for some, personally I visit a lot of gaming websites like Ubisoft, EA, etc... there are a lot of sites that still require flash, I don't have the internet in my pocket, unless I can view the same websites that I do on my computer.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

So when someone wants Flash, you reduce it to them wanting a full experience of Farmville?

I use Flash a lot when I'm browsing. Not a problem on a Droid.

I don't care about all the loyalties. I'll never buy an iPad but I definitely love having an iPhone (Once we get past all this tethered business).

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

LOL
    No I'm in the Medical field and need it to view instructional videos at times for procedures and CME's

Some functions work well on Iphone and Ipad, others suck. Its not the fastest computer.
    Its not a computer. Its a tablet.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boxxa For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (01-20-2011), mortopher (01-19-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast