Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AirView Streams Video Between iOS Devices

Default AirView Streams Video Between iOS Devices

Have you ever had a movie on your iPhone, but wanted to watch it on your iPad’s larger screen? Then AirView is just what you’ve been waiting for. AirView is a free app that has just been approved for the App Store. It only does one thing, but what it does, it does well.

AirView allows you to stream video from one iOS device to another, that’s it. By using Apple’s AirPlay technology and a local Wi-Fi signal, you can stream video, for example, from an iPhone to an iPad or vise versa. There are no settings to fiddle with, or any preferences to set. Just launch the app and wait for the other device to start streaming video. AirView works like a receiver. Once activated, AirView simply plays a video file as soon as it’s received. It is compatible with the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad running iOS 4.2.

I’ve tested this app by streaming a movie from my iPhone 4 to an iPad and it worked flawlessly. I’m honestly surprised that Apple didn’t include this function when it originally released Airplay as part of the iOS 4.2 update. Hopefully, AirPlay’s streaming capabilities will be expanded with the next update and include AirView’s streaming capability. For now though, enjoy a little more freedom when streaming.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwy9omdxsPg&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Airview for iOS[/ame]

iPhone link
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airview/id412370918?mt=8

iPad link
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airview/id412370918?mt=8

Source: Gizmodo
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 01-19-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added links

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

Dragonx151 (01-19-2011), NakedFaerie (01-19-2011), reaves205 (01-20-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nice!!!!!

Haha iPad touch?? Pretty cool tho, I read this somewhere else but yea I'd definitely grab it now in case apple takes it down for some reason.

Needs to head over to the AppStore and get myself a copy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone VaderForce's Avatar
    Thanks

Got it, nice!. But I don't like how you can't stream downloaded iTunes movies - not one of my favorite Apple restrictions.

Banned
    Thanks

This is great.
    I just tried it and it streams to the iPad, iPhone and plays on the PC all at the same time.

About time they brought out something that worked.

Im still on 4.0.1 with my phone.... Bummer. Does anyone know if this works with mywi?

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

"Application Not Compatible" This application requires the iPhone 4.2 software update.

Works only with iOS 4.2m thats the message I got when I try to download it, I still on iOS 4.1
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    "Application Not Compatible" This application requires the iPhone 4.2 software update.

Works only with iOS 4.2m thats the message I got when I try to download it, I still on iOS 4.1
    Well of course. The AirPlay framework isn't in the 4.1 OS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Well of course. The AirPlay framework isn't in the 4.1 OS.
    Apparently the source code is online and a few people on TUAW managed to get it working on a 4.0 device via recompile.

All it really is: a streaming client that gets the video and pipes it to the media player framework... not really any different than AirVideo or some other similar service. As such it should be technically usable on nearly every device, including the original iDevices.

Add this to the AirTunes hack and now one can use their iDevice to playback anything iOS supports but DRM-video... Not bad.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

love it works great stream to my ipad or wifes iphone wont use it much but got while its there may come in usefull 1 day

Can you multitask it and use "Remote" to chosse the video?

Thanks

Hmmm not worth my upgrade to 4.2 for my iPhone 4, looks like a cool app though.

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Apparently the source code is online and a few people on TUAW managed to get it working on a 4.0 device via recompile.

All it really is: a streaming client that gets the video and pipes it to the media player framework... not really any different than AirVideo or some other similar service. As such it should be technically usable on nearly every device, including the original iDevices.

Add this to the AirTunes hack and now one can use their iDevice to playback anything iOS supports but DRM-video... Not bad.
    Well you still can't load a 4.2 app (eg. This one) onto a 4.1 device. iTunes and the App Store won't allow it.

<< 4.1, humm looks like i will have to wait to use this one.

Thanks

For those of that have tried it, is it a standalone player or does it stream from any video app? I'm curious if it will work with Oplayer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone VaderForce's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    For those of that have tried it, is it a standalone player or does it stream from any video app? I'm curious if it will work with Oplayer.
    It's a stand alone app & not a media player at all. You have wi-fi, play a non-DRM video from an iDevice & turn on the app on your viewing iDevice.
    =Is the quality of your life, the outcome of your own thoughts?=

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Well you still can't load a 4.2 app (eg. This one) onto a 4.1 device. iTunes and the App Store won't allow it.
    That wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I bet money it won't take long for someone to go recompile it for the 3.0 SDK and put this up on Cydia for any device with 3.0 or above to use it. Either that or hark at the developer to lower the OS requirements on it (I bet that can happen with enough pressure).

Have some patience.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    That wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I bet money it won't take long for someone to go recompile it for the 3.0 SDK and put this up on Cydia for any device with 3.0 or above to use it. Either that or hark at the developer to lower the OS requirements on it (I bet that can happen with enough pressure).

Have some patience.
    Oh ok.
    I don't need it though because the only Apple product I have is a 4th gen iPod touch (my second gen broke). Also, I'm updating to every non-beta firmware to grab the SHSH's and boost the resale value inside the jailbreak community.

I've never needed to need that to watch a movie. Why don't I use the same streaming service to watch the movie or just use the video app?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast