Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Takes Second Medical Leave

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Steve Jobs Takes Second Medical Leave

In a somewhat disturbing press release from Apple, Steve Jobs has announced that the company's Board of Directors approved his request for a medical leave of absence. He will keep his title of Chief Executive Officer, though Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook - who ran Apple during Jobs's last medical leave in 2009 - will again take the reins of the company.

Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2004. This form of cancer is extremely deadly, and 95% of those diagnosed with this disease die within five years. Jobs initially refused normal medical treatment, instead relying on a special diet to cure him of the disease. Eventually, Jobs underwent a surgical procedure to remove the head of his pancreas, his duodenum, part of his stomach, the gall bladder and other organs. Though Jobs has generally refused to discuss his health issues publicly, the tumor was believed to have been removed through this procedure. However, his thin, gaunt appearance in subsequent years, as well as a six month leave of absence in 2009 during which he had a liver transplant, has led to persistent concerns about his health. Bloomberg inadvertently published a draft of a Steve Jobs obituary in 2008; Jobs later joked about the worries during an iPod event, quoting Mark Twain that "the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

During an address to the graduating class of Stanford in 2005, Steve ruminated on the lessons he had learned from his illness. He told the graduates that "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma... which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

The Apple press release consisted only of Jobs's email to all Apple employees, which reads:

Team,

At my request, the board of directors has granted me a medical leave of absence so I can focus on my health. I will continue as CEO and be involved in major strategic decisions for the company.

I have asked Tim Cook to be responsible for all of Apple's day to day operations. I have great confidence that Tim and the rest of the executive management team will do a terrific job executing the exciting plans we have in place for 2011.

I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I can. In the meantime, my family and I would deeply appreciate respect for our privacy.

Steve
    Steve Jobs has had a unique impact on the world of technology: brilliant and visionary, though often dictatorial and arbitrary. It's probably safe to say that the iOS ecosystem - and thus this site - would not exist without his contributions. We send our best to Steve and his family, and our wishes for his speedy recovery.

Source: AppleInsider, image via Bolaji O

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (01-20-2011), reaves205 (01-18-2011), Snozberries (01-19-2011), turkey26 (01-17-2011)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Cancer is a ugly thing... poor guy I feel for him. I hope his health improves so that he can return to work! God bless this man!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (01-18-2011), lightmaster (01-17-2011), sjkkjs (01-17-2011), StevenB (01-17-2011)

Oh man, well its good to get your rest

He should donate his money for a cure

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Cancer is a ugly thing... poor guy I feel for him. I hope his health improves so that he can return to work! God bless this man!
    He is bootest, he don't beleave in God... Which he should though... Cause bodes is nothing more then a man who died. A false god.

Yes it is a ugly thing though.
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McMichael96 For This Useful Post:

5h4d0w (01-17-2011), aopwarrior (01-17-2011)

I'll be sad when Steve Jobs is gone. He's a unique, selfless leader who turned Apple into a giant innovator. I suspect this may be it for him, if the whole story is true. I hope when he's gone it won't be management by gutless committees and self-serving yes men.

I wish him and his family the best, no matter what his situation may be, or who/what he believes in.

He's coming back right. and This is very sad I almost cried

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McMichael96 View Post
    He is bootest, he don't beleave in God... Which he should though... Cause bodes is nothing more then a man who died. A false god.

Its spelt Buddhist and Buddha.
    He can believe what he wants. Just like many believe Jesus was nothing more than a man who died.

Anywho, Get Well Steve. The many deserves to take as many breaks as he wants, he strikes me as a workaholic. Take it slow.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

Amraam (01-17-2011), dhamien (01-17-2011)

Steve jobs Is great man and I hope he comes back soon I will miss him so bad the next keynote

God help us all when steve is gone will the apple we have grown to love go with him

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manickbarry View Post
    God help us all when steve is gone will the apple we have grown to love go with him
    I'd say not. For the sake of his health though, I would like Steve Jobs to step down as CEO permanently and take more of a consulting role. The company will still have Tim Cook, Phil Shiller, Johnny Ive and many more geniuses who don't often get the credit they deserve.

get will steve! you have the mind of the future!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Hope he gets better soon. Nice that he'll still play a role in key decisions and announcements. Tim Cook is a great guy to leave the day to day operations to, very smart and trustworthy!

Thanks
    Good guy. Hope all the best for him.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Steve made Apple... what I love about Steve is his casual look and appears to be a real sweet man. As I stated I feel sorry for him. Cancer is nothing but a real struggle in life and in the long run many loose the battle to it.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (01-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McMichael96 View Post

Even on iRelated boards is religion constantly shoved down our throats. Spew your crap on another site.

Steve will be ok, when it comes to worst I think he will push money into it.

Without Stevie who will we go against? D:
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Co1d Night For This Useful Post:

dhamien (01-17-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Steve is too skinny from his 08 transplant to make it through any more issues. He won't be back.

Ever since he went through rehabilitation and came back he has been bone thin. We likely won't see Jobs again.

Apple's Steve Jobs to take medical leave [Updated] | Technology | Los Angeles Times
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Steve is too skinny from his 08 transplant to make it through any more issues. He won't be back.

Ever since he went through rehabilitation and came back he has been bone thin. We likely won't see Jobs again.

Apple's Steve Jobs to take medical leave [Updated] | Technology | Los Angeles Times
    Dang, never really noticed, but wow he is sure THIN! Needs to eat a big more lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
    Even on iRelated boards is religion constantly shoved down our throats. Spew your crap on another site
    You can take your **** elsewhere too homeboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellerator View Post
    Dang, never really noticed, but wow he is sure THIN! Needs to eat a big more lol.
    HE has the best nutritionist and doctors money can buy and he has not ben able to put a pound back o since the transplant. He had weight on him last time to keep him alive. This time he does not. You can see from his legs they are paper thin. Steve simply doesn't have a strong enough system to pull through this time.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6...1ab85dd970b-pi
    Last edited by one1; 01-17-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast