+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumer Reports Blasts Verizon iPhone 4 Ahead of Launch

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Reminiscent of the "Death Grip" saga that plagued Apple's iPhone 4 in the headlines for months, Consumer Reports is once again blasting the smartphone maker of the February launch of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Consumer Reports Blasts Verizon iPhone 4 Ahead of Launch

Reminiscent of the "Death Grip" saga that plagued Apple's iPhone 4 in the headlines for months, Consumer Reports is once again blasting the smartphone maker of the February launch of Verizon's iPhone. As it turns out, Consumer Reports doesn't see much difference between the Verizon iPhone 4 and its GSM sibling on AT&T. In other words, Consumer Reports doesn't like either.

Of course, this doesn't mean Apple or Verizon should be worried. The venerable consumer watchdog blasted the iPhone 4 last summer and adamantly opposed any recommendation of the handset. Apple went on to sell millions of devices and enjoy the best fiscal year in company history. So its unlikely that the latest report will do any significant damage to the Verizon iPhone. Still, Consumer Reports wants people to know about the concerns it has.

Writing for the publication, Paul Reynolds and Mike Gikas warn potential buyers about this "middle aged" product. “It may be quickly replaced by a newer, cooler version more quickly than is customary even for the die-young life expectancy of most smart phones,” Reynolds and Gikas contend. “With Apple likely to ship a new iPhone generation in June or July, as it always has for the iPhone, this is a transitional phone to tide Verizon through until the summer.”

Perhaps the biggest concern is that the iPhone 4 has joined the CDMA family. “The smart phone market has changed in ways that make the iPhone 4 show its age," the review states. "It works on third-generation data network at a time when carriers—Verizon among them—have launched faster 4G networks and phones that work on them.”

With only a few compliments to be found in the whole report - like the observation that Verizon, at least, will be “a fine carrier” - the Consumer Reports piece largely finds fault with the iPhone 4 in terms of looking out for consumers in the future of the smartphone world. Essentially, the report says: "why buy this now when Apple or another smartphone maker will release something cooler, faster, and better in the coming months?" Fortunately, most smartphone consumers are already smart enough to know that such is the reality in virtually any contemporary consumer electronics category. For this reason, it's highly unlikely that the prospect of an iPhone 5 will vastly slow purchases of the iPhone 4 during the next six months.

Consumer Reports
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 01-15-2011 at 11:01 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

ChaiMuengChuaySoh (01-16-2011), reanimationxp (01-16-2011), reaves205 (01-15-2011), turkey26 (01-15-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Does not matter, there is always going to be something better released in the future that does stop anyone from buying the current model on the market. Just the other day i saw somebody buying an iPad, thinking to myself i would hold out at this point for the next gen but a lot of people dont follow Tech stuff like we do and they dont know that they are on the midst of releasing the next gen model in a month or 2. That is the nice thing about apple products tho, is that they hold their resale value quite well.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

pzocker (01-15-2011), reanimationxp (01-16-2011), Snozberries (01-19-2011), Stewie Griffin (01-19-2011), TheJailbreakGenius (01-15-2011), thunderwolf333 (01-15-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yup, you might as well not ever buy anything.

Or you could just buy it, enjoy it for now, then sell it to the next sucker that doesn't care for or can't afford the latest and greatest.

I'm sure there's a lot of people on Verizon that have waited long enough, or AT&T switchers, that they're willing to take the plunge even with those caveats.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PM5K For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (01-16-2011), TheJailbreakGenius (01-15-2011), thunderwolf333 (01-15-2011)

Thanks

Honestly, I'd take consumer reports reviews with a grain of salt. They're obviously making assumptions at this point b/c I doubt they actually had an iPhone on hand for this. I personally love my iPhone 4 and I'm happy with it.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LSZ33 For This Useful Post:

carolinamic (01-15-2011), ChaiMuengChuaySoh (01-16-2011), reanimationxp (01-16-2011), rickinsav (01-16-2011), TheJailbreakGenius (01-15-2011), tknapp2 (01-17-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

They're right in saying there's something newer coming around the corner soon, it's just stupid to tell people not to buy something for that reason, there's always something new coming around the corner. I bought an iPhone 4 and I know an iPhone 5 will be out within a year, it is what it is.

The people that care will find a way to get the new one, that ones that don't won't, it's that simple.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PM5K For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (01-16-2011), TheJailbreakGenius (01-15-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kil0111's Avatar
    Thanks

that's business ladies n gents....

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using ModMyi

Removed for being inappropriate. This is your sixth and final warning -

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

They're warning people because you'll be stuck with an already outdated phone for a full 2 years! The iPhone 6 will be out by the time your contract is up. Makes no sense to lock yourself in right now. Plus, who wants to be stuck with a 3g phone when 4g is now up and running?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Go Gators For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (01-16-2011), reanimationxp (01-16-2011)

Thanks

I honestly have never purchased or not purchased any product based on the findings of Consumer Reports. People in general buy products based on their needs and budget.

Banned
    Thanks

Consumer reports is run by a crowd of idiots. All they are doing is ruining their popularity, if they had any to begin with. Why would you be the sore thumb in the crowd, if you could be the normal guy that everyone loves?

What I am saying is: why would Consumer Reports publish the truth, when no one wants to hear the truth? Sure, iPhone 5 will come out soon. It's not what people want to hear.

Consumer Reports obviously has something against Apple, and they are out to get Apple even if it costs their remaining popularity and credibility.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been able to sell every generation iPhone for more money then it cost me to upgrade on every single model so far. Jailbreaking them helps, but still.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

vantheman169

At this point purchasing an iPad is not the same as purchasing an iPhone. For starters, the price of a new iPhone will cost you just about the same as before, the iPad will vary based upon technology. The "price discount" that's exclusive to new customers too, is only applied once every year for existing customers, with the iPad your not passing up on a discount. And lastly, a two year commitment is needed for new phone, unlike the iPad that's going to cost 5 times more in the long run...

For the person who didn't wait for the next gen iPad, It's understandable.. The iPad2 will undoubtedly have better hardware but so what, it's not a big deal unlike these fools jumping on the verizon iphone 4 bandwagon.
    Last edited by Bluprint; 01-15-2011 at 12:30 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Consumer reports is on the verge of completely discrediting themselves. Slamming products that sell millions in weeks? Insulting products that haven't been released to the public based on the fact that somebody sometime will make something better??

If CR had any credibility before 2011, it's pretty much gone now.

...You want real reviews? Check amazon.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ohthatguyagain For This Useful Post:

tknapp2 (01-17-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Also, verizon's "4G" is a marketing tool, not a functioning technology. CDMA is antiquated technology recycled for proprietary use on unsecured low-speed over-rated networks just so verizon can grab customers by the balls and force them to purchase every single ability on a phone through software unlocks on a custom OS that runs like crap. Though iOS is undoubtedly the best thing to ever happen to Verizon, I still pity those people who think "4G" is real and is faster than GSM.

Also, I desperately miss Cingular.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Also, did Verizon or Apple confirm that the 5th gen iPhone will come out on both carriers at the same time?

There's a possibility that they won't release the 5th gen at the same time, and CR's report will be moot for Verizon customers by that point alone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

All I know is that I liked the movie Contact. That movie has been pooped on by EVERYONE (it probably sucks anyway), and I STILL liked it. So hey... Anything can happen.

Also, Consumer Reports is crap.

Thanks

Consumer Reports is right to not recommend the iPhone 4 for Verizon. The iPhone 5 will be out in a couple months and with how fast Apple refreshes the iPhone (yearly), those couple months that Verizon is behind AT&T on its release date is huge. It's probably just better to wait for the iPhone 5...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Yaeh, but they could have been fair communicated that... They're kind of implying that it's an inferior product.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

One of the most ridiculous things about the report, is that it overlooks the fact that for many people, the single most important criteria for their cell phone is.... **gasp** ... reliability in making phone calls. Personally, I don't have too bad an experience with AT&T, but in certain parts of the country, they absolutely suck. If I lived in one of those areas, and wanted the advantages of the iPhone, I'd be running to Verizon as fast as I could.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

You mind as well never buy a phone because another phone is always going to come out that's better. If you know a products is only a month or so away from a complete rebuild, yea maybe wait, but I think consumer reports has something up their but about the iPhone.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Green Apple
    Thanks

No one should give a **** about "4G" right now, why?

Because all "4G" is, is 3.5G faster uploads, faster download. But nothing even close to what true 4G is (but at this rate they will evenetually be classified as 5G or even 6G) 100mbps mobile link, 1gbps stationary link all data being IP-based including voice. Everything will be sent as data packets just as your home internet is. A phone call will ultimately be a VOIP call on ur handset. Verizon's "4G" is merely rebranded 3GPP LTE (speeds roughly that of an iPhone 4 in HSDPA areas.)

The iPhone 5 on AT&T will support HSPA+, a mere upgrade in speed much like the iPhone 3GS brought with its inclusion if HSDPA. Maybe the iPhone 5 will support Verizon's LTE network as well to take advantage of the simultaneous voice/data that currently is not supported. The question is then will it be one phone that supports them both? Doubtful because they still need 2 different network chips in that small package. This ultimately leads me to believe that the iPhone 6 will support LTE, and work on both AT&T and Verizon's network.

Or maybe we won't see that until an iPhone 7 AT&T/Verizon hybrid supporting LTE-Advanced with true peak 4G speeds, 100mbps while driving, 1gbps while walking your dog, all with crystal clear voice while you surf the internet uninterrupted because it's all IP-based traffic.