Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2011 iPhone, iPad to Sport "A8" Dual-Core Chip?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 2011 iPhone, iPad to Sport "A8" Dual-Core Chip?

With about half a year to go before the expected fifth-generation iPhone launch, the East Asian supply chain is already humming with rumors about the new phone's design. A supplier of bulk silicon is blabbing that Qualcomm is buying up wafers at a prodigious rate for iPhone 5 parts, and hinting that it could provide parts for a new Apple system-on-a-chip called the "A8." Nothing is known about this purported SoC, though the name does suggest that Apple could finally be producing a dual-core CPU.

Kinsus is a Taiwanese manufacturer that turns out large quantities of the silicon wafers which serve as the substrate for integrated circuits. An anonymous source at the company told Taiwan's Apple Daily site that they got an order to deliver 30% to 40% of the flip-chip substrate that Qualcomm will need to make cellular components for the iPhone 5. They claim they'll be delivering the wafers by March, which is right on schedule for the expected 2011 iPhone launch in early summer.

Meanwhile, the same sources are saying they are also getting a piece of the action on a new Apple system-on-a-chip that will go in the iPhone 5 and iPad 2. The report offers no details about the so-called "A8 application processor," and the name is somewhat ambiguous. The A4 is based on the Cortex-A8, so they might be referring to that. However, though some observers look at the name A8 and think it might mean "A4 times two." Certainly, iOS devices are long-overdue for a multicore speed bump, so it would make sense if the replacement to the A4 to be based on, or modeled on, ARM's dual-core Cortex-A9.

The prospect of Qualcomm's involvement also raises hopes that the coming 2011 iPhone and iPad may include the chipmaker's dual CDMA/GSM chipset, making them true "world-mode" devices. We may know more about this in a relatively short amount of time, if rumors about a February iPad 2 announcement come to pass.

Source: Electronista

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (01-14-2011)

That'd be pretty cool!

Oh hell, I need more money to keep up with Apple's toys. Can't wait!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

That would be sick. A8 chip and 1 gig of ram would be redonkulous.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

mosesh (01-15-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

FIRST! JK JK. I'm hoping they spank out some REAL Ram increases too...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    That would be sick. A8 chip and 1 gig of ram would be redonkulous.
    Here's hoping!! Wouldn't mind an 8 or 10 megapixel camera too.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like a better camera too although i am still rocking the iPhone 3GS and will be until the iPhone (5) comes out. Bigger Retina display (4 inches) would be nice too but not a deal breaker for me.
    Last edited by vantheman169; 01-14-2011 at 02:55 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I thought they were releasing it next year 2012

So shouldnt they release the Shatter exploit since it was for the A4 chip not the A8? I feel like im talking about Audi's.

Quote Originally Posted by wolk72 View Post
    I thought they were releasing it next year 2012
    i would rather die than wait that long, obviously im joking but seriously.

new thing i would like the NEW ipod touch or/and iphone to have:

8 or 10 MP camera
    more ram
    FASTER
    dont really care how much skinnier it gets as long as it delivers!
    and if there were even such thing as a "better display" i would be sold.

all of that + new ios = BETTER THAN CHUCK NORRIS HIMSELF!

Thanks

Sounds good so far. I am expecting a dual core processor, a RAM increase, better camera & a CDMA/GSM capable iPhone. That's my wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    i would rather die than wait that long, obviously im joking but seriously.

new thing i would like the NEW ipod touch or/and iphone to have:

8 or 10 MP camera
    more ram
    FASTER
    dont really care how much skinnier it gets as long as it delivers!
    and if there were even such thing as a "better display" i would be sold.

all of that + new ios = BETTER THAN CHUCK NORRIS HIMSELF!
    lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

Seriously there's too much news coming out and Jan isn't even over yet! I think I've checked this forum at least 10x today and have only checked my work email like twice

Lets hope it's $99 for 16GB, $199 for 32GB, and $299 for 64GB for the iPhone 5 with upgrade.
    Last edited by xclusiveiphone; 01-14-2011 at 03:52 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    Lets hope it's $99 for 16GB, $199 for 32GB, and $299 for 64GB for the iPhone 5 with upgrade.
    It's gonna be more like $199 16g, $299 32g and $399 64g.....

As always. I just want it better, faster, stronger, and thinner. But I think that I'll pass on the iPhone 5 unless AT&T allows me to upgrade at 12months. But if not, I'm more then happy to wait on the iPhone 6. I usually hold my phones for 2 years anyway. Went from a 3G to a 4.

I just want a Better Camera (8 on the back, 5 on the front at least). Which in all honesty the specs on any phone by now should be.

1. At least a 1GHz CPU
    2. Front & Back Cameras (10mp respectively on both sides)
    3. At least 1GB of RAM, 2GB if you're really feeling it.
    4. High Res Display
    5. And thin ... Duh!

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    Oh hell, I need more money to keep up with Apple's toys. Can't wait!
    +1. If it is double the speed I'm getting one for sure
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

This all sounds kind of suspicious.

The only company or source mentioned here is Kinsus, who supplies silicon wafers (ie the raw materials used to make the chips) for Qualcomm basebands. The only reference to A8 is in one sentence of the poorly google-translated version of an apple blog from Taiwan.

So how does an anonymous source from a company who supplies parts to another company who supplies parts (not the SoC itself mind you) to Apple to make phones have insider knowledge on the upgraded SoC that's due to be released in a new product months before the phone they're supposedly involved with?

Maybe it's just that I don't think they're going to call it the A8. It bothered me when Apple released their "A4" processor which ran on an A8 CPU, but I figure hey, it's Apple, they like to rebrand stuff as theirs, it's the processor for their 4th gen iOS devices, find just call it an A4. If they skip A5, and call their A9-based processor the A8, that just seems like they'd be trying to be difficult. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. We'll see when they announce the next iPad.

Also, the only company that I'm aware of that's actually produced a dual core A8 based chip is Qualcomm. Everyone else uses A9 architecture for their dual core chips. Also interesting is that Qualcomm's dual core A8 chip is available with integrated HSPA+/CDMA2000 support. The A4 was manufactured by, and based on design by Samsung. Maybe Apple's going all in with Qualcomm and using them for the processor this time too.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

With dualcore Android phones and tablets on the horizon Apple has no choice but to use a dualcore solution in forthcoming iPads and iPhones.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Don't ask how I know just know these facts are true, it's no secret apple skips a year on reforming the looks of their equipment and 2012 will be the dual core processor. The phone will be a tad thicker and wider. The screen will be at almost 4 inches but this is not why it will be bigger. The size will come from the power consumption used to power the duo of processors and 1 gig of ram. The new hard drives will be the same used in the iPod classic. There will be a 160 gig and a 250 gig hard drive available. These will be built for true 4g use that will utilize the GSM capabilities to use FaceTime with a 3 mpxl cam in the front and a 10 on the rear with dual flash and 1080p recordings. The phone will use voice recognition for everything in the phone. Also if this isn't enough. How about the use of playstation network as the game center. You will be able to play turn based games with users on the ps3, right from your iPhone vi, and yes, that's the name of the device. Do you want more? Ok 1 more. How about the addition of satellite tv with your device, oh yes that's right. With the use of true 720p produced by the new 4 inch retina display. You are going to have everything in the palm of your hand with the iPhone VI coming to you in 2012, iPhone 5 will have minor upgrades but in the standards that was 3G to 3GS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast