Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MuscleNerd Tweets iPhone Unlock Statement

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default MuscleNerd Tweets iPhone Unlock Statement

On Friday morning, MuscleNerd provided an update to our community. Calling it the "Official iPhone unlock statement," MuscleNerd says: "no unlock will be released until after 4.2.5 or official 4.3 (whichever is last) is out." If its' true that good things really do take time, now would be a good time to aquire that virtue called patience - assuming being a member of this community hasn't already imbued you with that aforementioned attribute.

Although the revelation isn't groundbreaking, MuscleNerd's latest comment is serving to cool the jets of those who think the Dev Team is about to drop "what's next" in the coming days. "Itís silly to release anything during Apple betas," says MuscleNerd, "because most people canít take advantage.Ē

The news from MuscleNerd comes just as an NBC News affiliate reports that Apple is ramping up efforts to recruit the Federal Government to assist in cracking down on iOS jailbreaking. "Current jailbreak technologies now in widespread use utilize unauthorized modifications to the copyrighted bootloader and operating system, resulting in the infringement of the copyrights in those programs," Apple tells the U.S. Copyright Office in the company's most recent plea for help.

While there is nothing more than just wild speculation to this suggestion, some believe that if BGR's report Wednesday is correct in reporting that Apple is considering an iPhone 5 without a physical home button, one of the biggest reasons for that possible hardware revision would be to somehow complicate the jailbreak process.

MuscleNerd via Twitter
    NBC News

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

ADF (01-15-2011), CaryDude (01-14-2011), DrAnal (01-14-2011), ipirate (01-14-2011), reaves205 (01-14-2011), RKO1195 (01-15-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Sigh...

Yeah, I just read all the fighting on Twitter between @comex, @musclenerd, and @pod2g. The jailbreak community is beefing and we are all suffering. I hope we can all unite. Geohotz's lawsuit is making everyone panic. Everyone was ecstatic late last year when jailbreaking was ruled legal, but now we have come to this. It's just sad.

Also, I'm starting to hate Apple even more. iPhones are the only Apple products that I like because of the performance and jailbreaking capabilities, but all of us would be fools to continue to support them if they keep making moves like this against the jailbreak community.
    Last edited by saunupe1911; 01-14-2011 at 11:48 AM.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to saunupe1911 For This Useful Post:

Cokeman (01-14-2011), Dragonx151 (01-14-2011), g12007 (01-14-2011), gobol (01-15-2011), Nelly998 (01-14-2011), stlcaddie (01-14-2011), ufcsean (01-14-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

If they remove the home button I will stick with my i4 for another year. By then, hopefully, Apple will allow themeing and I can move away from jailbreaking. And the dev team should wait...what's good for the whole outweighs that of the few.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (01-14-2011)

some might see Apple's cracking down on jailbreaking as a hurdle, but examine the Streisand effect - the online phenomenon where attempts to quash or suppress an article, a picture, or any form of information has a counter-intuitive effect of spreading said information like a wildfire.

Apple's repeated attempts at suppressing jailbreaking will only result in more people finding out about it, and making it more widespread

I believe the concept of jailbreaking will be a moot point within the next few iOS upgrades. Apple is getting ready to clamp down. It looks like the iPhone 4 will be my second and last Apple product

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 753 Posts

Yep the more i keep seeing stuff like this, the more that something like this MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G looks more appealing

MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G - Android 2.2 Smartphone - Wireless from AT&T

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

gobol (01-15-2011), Ruthless Killa8 (01-14-2011), Spazmonic (01-14-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    If they remove the home button I will stick with my i4 for another year. By then, hopefully, Apple will allow themeing and I can move away from jailbreaking. And the dev team should wait...what's good for the whole outweighs that of the few.
    +1

If I could theme a stock iPhone (including 5 column SB and 5 icon dock), that would remove 75% of my need for jailbreak. But until I can theme an iPhone, I'll be a jailbreaker, or a non apple user. Maybe it's shallow, but I HATE the look of a stock iPhone.

MyWi, SBSettings and iFile would be the only other things I would miss.

I skipped the iP4, and held onto my 3GS, but if the iphone5's forward are not jailbreakable, I will pick up a iP4 and that will be my last (unless they start allowing themes! ...I would LOVE to see a Theme's section on the appstore!!!)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    @musclenerd is doing the right thing, no doubt. We get so flippin' impatient about jailbreaks, not taking into account the countless hours that the dev team pours into making them readily available to the public. Also, once they roll a jailbreak out, it's gone FOREVER. We may not like it but the best thing for us all is to wait until apple's next release so we can keep jailbreaking around for as long as possible. Thanks for standing your ground even in the face of adversity, musclenerd!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmacsoloist For This Useful Post:

BustAGroove (01-15-2011), RKO1195 (01-15-2011), yentrog31 (01-14-2011)

I occurs to me that Apple has already beaten the JB Dev's. One minute they say "jailbreak for life" and they can JB any device with any FW until Apple changes the hardware. Next thing you know, a small revision stumps them for months, and they can't figure out how to untether it.
    It took them 6 weeks to JB 4.0, and its already been over 2 months since 4.2, and they keep making lame excuses and fighting amongst themselves.

I'm really stressed out about it, but it looks like the iPhone 4 (and iOS 4.1) is the end of the line for me and Apple, a stock iPhone is useless to me.

Apple is apparently even stupider that I thought, because eliminating the ability to jailbreak, will likely also eliminate a LARGE percentage of iPhone users.
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheOnlyest For This Useful Post:

csglinux (01-14-2011), g12007 (01-14-2011), gobol (01-15-2011), theomer (01-14-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    the longest wait ever... 4.1-4.3

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

And this is why I sold my iPhone 4 and bought and HD2, put android on it, and am happier than a dog with 2 dongs. I BUY a phone, I should be able to do exactly what I want with it. Jailbreak, or hammer break it. Doesnt matter. Its like we are LEASING the phones from apple.

Ive been a loyal iphone user since the first iphone, but I saw that HTC VS iPhone video on YouTube and it kind of woke me up. When it comes to features, Android 2.2 is still WAY ahead of even my iPhone 4. Seriously, I can use 90% of the phones functions by voice, I have widgets, my screen is WAY bigger, its faster, more stable, I watch DIVX w/o converting, can upgrade the memory whenever I want, buy a new battery when this one goes DOA, and since I'm on TMobile, I get 4G speeds. I tether a consistant 5MBs and I live in Downtown ATL. Yeeeeeaaaa... Im straight with my HTC

19. The Following User Says Thank You to frankydabull For This Useful Post:

saunupe1911 (01-14-2011)

I suggest everyone read the latest Twitter rampage these guys had within the last 24 hrs. I don't want to post anything out of context. I'll leave that to the writers on this great forum. But to make a long story short, things aren't looking good for the jailbreak community. Geohotz's lawsuit and devs individual egos have added fuel to the fire. I wish the stupid and un-useful PS3 jailbreak would have never come out. The Android rooting and Apple jailbreak communities are going to suffer because of a tool and hack that can't even be used right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Yep the more i keep seeing stuff like this, the more that something like this MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G looks more appealing

MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G - Android 2.2 Smartphone - Wireless from AT&T
    I want to check out the laptop dock. Hopefully the local AT&T store will have one.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Also looking into the Atrix as well.
    Suffering? Please!!! you know what ya get with an iPhone. If it wasn't for the Dev team there would be no unlocks or mods. Simple rule is quit updating everytime a new firmware comes out. Buy one online with a lower firmware. Don't like it. Get a different device.
    Last edited by Spazmonic; 01-14-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks

Geohot's only point was to be able to do whatever you want with the device you paid for. Now, the Dev Team has become its own proprietary machine just like Apple. I am proud to have signed with Att for 2 years of service with my iPhone 4, as I would not be able to use an iphone 4 until the new proprietary dev team wants to release the unlock when they feel the time is right. Question is when has the time been right? Last year? Now March 2011? Moving on to ATT or Verizon iPhone 4 is a smart move! lol

Thanks

They should not release the Atrix with Froyo. Run with 2.3.

Being able to jailbreak was the reason I bought more apple products. The only Apple products I had were an iPhone and iPod. When my laptop died I recently bought a MAC because I like the way it worked with the iPhone natively and for JB-ing. Then I recently bought an iPad and AppleTV, both JB-ed, because of how I could make them all work together and better with JB. I can honestly say if I never JB my iPhone, I would not have spend the additional thousands, literally on a MACBOOK Pro, iPad and ATV. How is my JB hurting Apple?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NOYB111 For This Useful Post:

saunupe1911 (01-14-2011)

Un-Jailbroken iPhone 4>anything else currently available. I love all the doom and gloom about leaving Apple if you can't jailbreak blah blah blah.

Enjoy your second rate Android devices that are so "open" that they still require root.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you can't wait or going to complain, Go find a way and develop your own unlock and jailbreak.
    "I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code"

"With Great Power , Comes Great responsibility" That is something we all need to remember

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast