Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.3: Out with the Old, In with the New

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS 4.3: Out with the Old, In with the New

There's a number of additions in iOS 4.3 beta 1, and Mike and Wiley have covered in previous posts: improved AirPrint, support for the VeriPhone "Personal Hotspot" feature, new gestures. There are, however, also a couple of notable subtractions: support for the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G. Though it's not known at this time whether the ultimate release version will support the older devices, it's a sign that we're nearing end-of-life for them. At the same time, there are new device identifiers in the code, presaging next-generation iPhones and iPads.

The iPhone 3G, released in 2008, had the same Samsung S5L8900 RISC SoC 620 MHz processor (underclocked to 412 MHz) as its predecessor, the original iPhone. And though the first-generation iPod touch shares this hardware platform (the 2G has a slightly speedier ARM11 chip), iOS 4.0 was not supported for that model, or for the original iPhone, when it was released. Though the identical iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G were supported, iOS 4.0 ran very poorly on those devices, with improvements in iOS 4.2 marginally improving performance for some users. The fact that Apple decided to include support for newer devices and leave it out for older devices with the same hardware suggests a marketing decision rather than an engineering one. Apple didn't want to face user outrage by releasing a firmware upgrade that left out devices only two years old. As it turned out, they ended up dealing with a lawsuit about that anyway.

There are identifiers in the new beta for iPhone4,1 and 4,2 as well as iPad2,1 iPad2,2 and iPad2,3. The original 2007 iPhone is 1,1, and the iPhone 3G is classified as 1,2, reflecting the fact that it's the same hardware platform with a slight modification (the 3G radio). The iPhone 3GS, with its improved CPU and RAM, is classified as 2,1, and the iPhone 4 is 3,1 (the Verizon iPhone is 3,2). The iPhone4,x and iPad2,x identifiers, then, suggest a significant hardware revision for the next models. Rumors have long suggested that the next generation iPhone and iPad will sport faster processors like the ARM Cortex-A9, and so the decision to cut off support for older CPUs makes sense as iOS finally moves into multicore architecture. Whether iOS 4.3 will simply not run on these devices, or merely continue to support a reduced feature set, remains to be seen.

Source: MacRumors

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (01-13-2011), CZroe (01-13-2011), ipirate (01-13-2011), midgetwithatophat (01-13-2011), milicigoran (01-13-2011)

This makes me mad as my parents bought me a 3G for christmas in 2009 with my upgrade along with the 2 year warranty with all intentions for this to last me to my next. I haven't had one problem with iOS 4 this entire time. I mean come on it's only two years old. I can't just go buy a brand new iPhone like some people can

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dustin942000 For This Useful Post:

1hihum (01-13-2011), ADF (01-14-2011), g12007 (01-13-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,279 Times in 7,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Isn't this a repeat of the other story earlier here? DO we two threads for the same story? Jeesh

Apple Releases iOS 4.3 Beta for Devs
    It's a little different, this has more to do with the devices being dropped from 4.3

iPhone4,x already? That soon they are testing it?

I kind of agree with them. I can only say that cause I have an i4. But I guess your gonna have to wait behid until you get a brand new phone

The beauty of annual upgrades from AT&T. I'll take 2 of the iPhone 5 or 4G or HD or whatever they'll call it for the subsidized price, thanks!!!

Not something you're gonna get with Verizon so enjoy your iPhone 4 for two full years, suckers

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

"Obsolescence never meant the end of anything, it's just the beginning." - Marshall McLuhan

Thanks

It never ceases to amaze me how the people at Apple just seem to drop more and more devices from the list. I'm almost certain that where im at, about 90% of the people have the iPod Touch 2nd generation, because we all pretty much went out and bought it at the same time..
    iPhone 4 16GB Jailbroken/Unlocked for T-Mobile USA with all the bells and whistles.

If I helped solve your problem, Press "Thanks!" for me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    The beauty of annual upgrades from AT&T. I'll take 2 of the iPhone 5 or 4G or HD or whatever they'll call it for the subsidized price, thanks!!!

Not something you're gonna get with Verizon so enjoy your iPhone 4 for two full years, suckers
    Did I miss something? ATT offers 1 year upgrades? I thought it was a two year cycle. Please confirm for me... if this is the case, I will be upgrading every year then too!

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post

+1 New iPhone every year for usually about 75 bucks? Thats game. (I always sell my old phone back to Radio Shack, so its kinda like a mail in rebate or something lol.)
    Last edited by TristianLyons1022; 01-13-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: misspelled something :P

Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    Did I miss something? ATT offers 1 year upgrades? I thought it was a two year cycle. Please confirm for me... if this is the case, I will be upgrading every year then too!

Thanks in advance!
    It's for iPhones. Att originally still has a 2 year contract but since the iPhone is so popular there willing to let us iPhone users upgrade now instead of waiting

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by willie498 View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how the people at Apple just seem to drop more and more devices from the list. I'm almost certain that where im at, about 90% of the people have the iPod Touch 2nd generation, because we all pretty much went out and bought it at the same time..
    Software always evolves and leaves out earlier hardware versions. Windows 7 won't run [very well] on most computers that are more than 3 years old. Remember when the cell phone industry didn't have 2 year contracts? Phones were disposable and for the most part they still are. How many iPhone 2G's do you still see in regular circulation... not many compared to 3G, 3GS and i4's that are around. Why would a company continue to invest money for backwards support of devices for software that is never intended to work on those devices?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

avo24 (01-13-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

I cant wait for the iPhoen 5/HD/4 and a half/Gods phone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Your 2nd Gen Touch is not gonna stop working, you just aren't getting new features. It forces me to upgrade if I want the updates and I gripe and mope, but in the long run I am happy to have newer better hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Software always evolves and leaves out earlier hardware versions. Windows 7 won't run [very well] on most computers that are more than 3 years old. Remember when the cell phone industry didn't have 2 year contracts? Phones were disposable and for the most part they still are. How many iPhone 2G's do you still see in regular circulation... not many compared to 3G, 3GS and i4's that are around. Why would a company continue to invest money for backwards support of devices for software that is never intended to work on those devices?
    Couldn't of said it better myself

+100

Thanks

I'm going to wait for the 5. It would nice if it had min specs of 1gig system ram and 1ghz processor. Even though a duel core 1 ghz would be great but very warm. Just getting pre pre excited.

Quote Originally Posted by dustin942000 View Post
    This makes me mad as my parents bought me a 3G for christmas in 2009 with my upgrade along with the 2 year warranty with all intentions for this to last me to my next. I haven't had one problem with iOS 4 this entire time. I mean come on it's only two years old. I can't just go buy a brand new iPhone like some people can
    Did your parents email Steve Jobs and let him know they weren't ready to upgrade your phone yet?

No?

See, this is what happens.

Just buy a new iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Dizi View Post
    Did your parents email Steve Jobs and let him know they weren't ready to upgrade your phone yet?

No?

See, this is what happens.
    Haha you make your point but they just didn't wanna pay for a 3GS that 6 months later would be $99. But I will upgrade it's just that I don't have one til august lol

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado87 View Post
    It's for iPhones. Att originally still has a 2 year contract but since the iPhone is so popular there willing to let us iPhone users upgrade now instead of waiting
    Its actually for iphone plans where you spend $100 or more per bill. I have two lines, both with iPhones so I get annual upgrades. I actually didn't upgrade to the 3GS till December 2009 but since AT&T offered the iP4 upgrade to anyone eligible at any point in 2010, I got an upgrade after 6 months lol. AT&T gets a big :thumbup: from me.

Quote Originally Posted by willie498 View Post
    Go to android then and enjoy software upgrades months after they become available if ever (see Sony Xperia 10). Get an awesome Galaxy S on the new-in-2009-Android 2.1 and watch while 2.2 and now 2.3 pass you by. But at least you'll have the super awesomeness of an "open" platform!!1!!!1!

Fragmentation FTMFL
    Last edited by jdm.accord; 01-13-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jdm.accord For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (01-13-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast