+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wi-Fi Hotspot Support Coming to AT&T iPhones?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
With all eyes fixed on the release of the Verizon iPhone today, speculation is growing as to whether or not the included Wi-Fi hotspot feature will be coming to other
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Wi-Fi Hotspot Support Coming to AT&T iPhones?

With all eyes fixed on the release of the Verizon iPhone today, speculation is growing as to whether or not the included Wi-Fi hotspot feature will be coming to other carriers as well. The iOS has been capable tethering for some time now, but it has been limited in the US at least, by AT&T and its overly stressed network. Even though AT&T continues to assure customers that they are in fact working to improve their network, customer satisfaction remains quite low.

Rumors are now circulating that Apple will finally bring the hotspot feature to all GSM iPhones with the next iOS update. The only thing that may block this feature is carrier support. In the US, this means that AT&T will have to let Apple include this feature as part of the operating system and give users the right to use it. AT&T currently charges $20 for the privilege. However, jailbreakers have been able to tether their iPhones for some time now using MyWi, and there’s only a one-time charge of $20. It’s very unlikely that AT&T will change their stance on this and give users something for free.

With so many other carriers offing phones that can be used as Wi-Fi hotspots, it makes sense for the iPhone to have this feature as well. We’ll have to wait and see what AT&T decides to do, but hopefully they will finally relent, if only to keep customers from migrating to Verizon in February. Now that the iPhone is available on more than one carrier in the US, AT&T will hopefully feel the need to stay competitive with Verizon. Whatever happens in the next couple of months, one thing is certain, competition in the marketplace is always beneficial to the consumer.

This technology is nothing new. I was tethering as far back as the iPhone 3G, using a hack that I downloaded directly from the internet. It did prevent me from accessing my voicemail, so I finally had to remove it. This just proves that the iPhone has been able to tether almost from the beginning. At long last we’ll finally be able to use our iPhones as hotspots, just as long as AT&T doesn’t muck it up somehow.

Source: MacRumors

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (01-12-2011), reaves205 (01-12-2011), turkey26 (01-12-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me DJM AutoWerkz's Avatar
    Thanks

Att should give all iPhone owners like atleast 1gb of tethering a month free with an option to purchase packages like 2gb or mire for a fee.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 484 Posts

good point. Competition is always healthy. Time to see how AT&T handles the open iphone battle

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

One of the reasons why I'm glad Verizon finally got the iPhone on their network, it will force AT&T to compete and this will benefit us as the customers.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

I think we are going to see unlimited data come back at 35 dollars and get rid of the 2gb plan
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (01-12-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Heh NetShare! ah... memories

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    I think we are going to see unlimited data come back at 35 dollars and get rid of the 2gb plan
    Or Verizon has the same shocking revelation that AT&T did--if you offer unlimited data on an iPhone (or any other smartphone/tablet device, granted, but the iPhone seems to be the most-blamed culprit) you WILL get some jerks who WILL use 50 GiB a month and totally abuse both the price and congest the network thoroughly--and therefore revert to the no-unlimited tiered structure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

ericmac017 (01-12-2011)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

It's about time for all of us AT&T users to get this for free without having to jailbreak our devices. It sucks that it takes another service provider to enforce the issue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be very nice indeed

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

mywi app doesnt work anymore? with the last update via cydia,, is anyone else having this problem too??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

MyWi still works.. If u have an unlimited data plan running from the old iPhones.. Pay the $20.. Its worth it.. And trust me I want people to hurry up and leave for verizon cuz i want want better bandwith on ATT already.!!! And people need to stop complaining about ATT.. They went with them.. Now they gotta support it or shut up.!

Thanks

"However, jailbreakers have been able to tether their iPhones for some time now using MyWi, and there’s only a one-time charge of $20."

Uh, I've been tethering for FREE. I never had to buy that POS program, thanks. I think you missed a major point to make in your article by saying jailbreakers had to make a one time payment to do this when it's not true in all cases. Only those jailbreakers who weren't smart enough to do this without spending money actually did.
    Hmm...

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

lol, damn bro. ive been able to tether ever since my first iPhone in '07 and i didnt have anything as jacked up as no voice mail. i still remember jb'ing the first firmwares.
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

17. The Following User Says Thank You to badass1469 For This Useful Post:

an82mustang (01-12-2011)

Thanks

AT&T needs to give us the hotspot feature for free. I don't think I should have to pay extra to tether my iPad when i'm paying for unlimited data on the iPhone and have been for 3 straight years.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I bumped up my minute plan and ATT took my unlimited data away. They didn't even tell me that by changing my minute plan it would change my data. The rep told me after the fact.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    there are other ways to teather besides miwi... miwi just makes it a hotspot. you can teather via usb for free with the carrier update found online. I did this hack to my 3g and when I switched to the 4 and switched phones in itunes the hack followed... Mywi is Great!
    Yo!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Gotta love the 'poor self image' posts about how they were tethering before anyone else, didn't pay $20, didn't lose voicemail, blah, blah, blah. Sad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That is EXACTLY what I would want them to do! 2GB Data Limit won't let me tether!! Damn!!

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    I bumped up my minute plan and ATT took my unlimited data away. They didn't even tell me that by changing my minute plan it would change my data. The rep told me after the fact.
    This is how "grandfathered" plans work. They can't remove/change anything until you yourself make any changes at which point you'll need to switch to whatever's available.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

gqgarnett (01-12-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    "However, jailbreakers have been able to tether their iPhones for some time now using MyWi, and there’s only a one-time charge of $20."

Uh, I've been tethering for FREE. I never had to buy that POS program, thanks. I think you missed a major point to make in your article by saying jailbreakers had to make a one time payment to do this when it's not true in all cases. Only those jailbreakers who weren't smart enough to do this without spending money actually did.
    Man, I hope you get banned.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

deshawn1680 (01-12-2011), joe97 (01-12-2011), vantheman169 (01-12-2011)