+ Reply
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Comes to Verizon, Finally

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Verizon chief operating officer Lowell McAdam announced today that a version of the iPhone 4 compatible with its network would be available for pre-order to existing customers beginning February 3,
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone Comes to Verizon, Finally

Verizon chief operating officer Lowell McAdam announced today that a version of the iPhone 4 compatible with its network would be available for pre-order to existing customers beginning February 3, with general availability February 10. The culmination of more than two years of rumors came as almost an anticlimax, as virtually every media outlet was reporting the Verizon iPhone as fact before it was announced. "If the press writes about something long enough and hard enough, eventually it comes true," McAdam said, acknowledging the long wait for a second carrier in the United States. Apple COO Tim Cook, who joined McAdam on stage at New York's Lincoln Center, hailed the step, saying Apple was "incredibly pleased to give Verizon's customers the choice we've been waiting for."

Perhaps most strikingly, Verizon will let customers tether up to 5 devices to their iPhones using their 3G Mobile Hotspot app which will be pre-installed. Verizon says they will charge $199 for a 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB, with a 2-year contract. They did, however, decline to answer questions about the cost of the data plans, saying that "pricing will be announced at a later date." This comes after days of speculation that Verizon would offer the same unlimited data plan they give to other smartphone customers. And the question of whether the iPhone 4 on Verizon would support simultaneous voice and data was answered by Dan Mead, president and CEO of Verizon Wireless, who said it was "the same as other CDMA devices." In other words, it won't.

Also unanswered is whether the new phone also comes with an updated antenna assembly. This is a new model of iPhone 4, as changes to the device's internals were necessitated by the switch to a different network protocol. However, take a closer look at the photo above: see that black line on the upper-left-hand corner? Yeah. It's surprising that they would not brag about a Death Grip-free iPhone if they had one, though, so it may just be a design change forced by the CDMA radio. Verizon did repeatedly emphasize how prepared their network is for what is expected to be an onslaught of data-hungry iPhones. Dan Mead said that the carrier had been drive-testing with thousands of iPhones and "could not be more pleased" with the performance.

McAdam was also mum about a CDMA version of the iPad, which was a longshot possibility for today's announcement. Also missing in action was any timeline for an LTE version of the iPhone, even though Verizon will complete rolling out its nationwide 4G network this year, with AT&T to follow next year. This does follow the generally conservative pattern Apple has historically shown: AT&T's 3G network was largely in place when the original iPhone was announced, but it only supported the slower EDGE standard until the iPhone 3G was released in 2008.

Industry analysts generally predict sales of between nine million and 12 million Verizon iPhones in 2011, with Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster counting on Verizon to boost total iPhone sales by 5 percent or more, which would bring Apple an additional $5.9 billion in earnings this year.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 01-11-2011 at 10:00 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

chrisangel13 (01-11-2011), Titan3636 (01-11-2011), turkey26 (01-11-2011)

Thanks

Bring on the Sprint unlock!!! If Sprint will let you activate it, that is....

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder how they are going to offer wifi hot spot, will it be part of ios 4.3 or will it be a seperate app? If it's a seperate app hopefully it can be ported over for us ATT users.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No voice + data = fail.

That's a must have feature. GPS apps probably won't even work while you are on the phone. That sucks.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saunupe1911 For This Useful Post:

DRFP (01-11-2011), Eagleye (01-11-2011), mbeezy81 (01-11-2011), Snozberries (01-11-2011), Squeaky369 (01-11-2011), stlcaddie (01-11-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcgee_jr View Post
    I wonder how they are going to offer wifi hot spot, will it be part of ios 4.3 or will it be a seperate app? If it's a seperate app hopefully it can be ported over for us ATT users.

it probably connects to verizons network so if theirs a way to tweak the "apn" settings on the app then yeah wifi tethering is a go

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgee_jr View Post
    It's part of the firmware and you turn it on in Settings (Verizon iPhone is running 4.2.5)

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (01-11-2011), saunupe1911 (01-11-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I think spreading the wealth will benefit AT&T customers the most by freeing up bandwidth. I think Verizon's network will see an initial bog down period with a year of catch up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

DRFP (01-11-2011), Eagleye (01-11-2011), GellBrake'rrrr (01-11-2011), GreggSymington (01-11-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    Bring on the Sprint unlock!!! If Sprint will let you activate it, that is....
    They won't. They only let you activate their own devices. If the ESN isn't in Sprint's database it is a no go.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

DRFP (01-11-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    It's part of the firmware and you turn it on in Settings (Verizon iPhone is running 4.2.5)
    How do you know this?

Thanks

But be sure that Verizon will charge monthly for the WIFI Hotspot (which is limited by 5 devices), therefore making MyFi that much better!! Wonder how long it will take to jailbreak the new VeriPhone!! Cause when that happens, and unlock follows, Sprint customers will want in on the action. Or Apple will just sign a deal with Sprint by year's end.
    "Once is an accident, Twice is a trend, Three times is evidence."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    How do you know this?
    Verizon iPhone first hands-on! -- Engadget

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    No voice + data = fail.

That's a must have feature. GPS apps probably won't even work while you are on the phone. That sucks.
    My thoughts exactly. I also don't know how many times I've been on a call and had to look something up for the person I was talking to. That functionality is a must-have for me.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The title for this shoul have been "I TOLD YOU SO" and written by Messany LOL.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dq13 For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (01-11-2011), dhamien (01-11-2011), hogcia (01-11-2011), Jahooba (01-11-2011), k.nitsua (01-11-2011), L00i3 (01-11-2011), thetoothfairy (01-11-2011), tsatryan (01-11-2011), unison999 (01-11-2011), vinaygoel2000 (01-11-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I think spreading the wealth will benefit AT&T customers the most by freeing up bandwidth. I think Verizon's network will see an initial bog down period with a year of catch up.
    I think that this will be one of the main reasons why I stick with AT&T, at least for the remainder of this year or until they announce a LTE iPhone 5 (maybe this summer???).

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Well now it will be interesting to see if people can get this to work on Sprint.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I also don't know how many times I've been on a call and had to look something up for the person I was talking to. That functionality is a must-have for me.
    +1

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    I think Sprint will sign since the deal is "Nonexclusive"

Apple will not "jail" themselves again
    Answers.com - Are sprint phones compatible with verizon
    Doing a carrier unlock for a GSM phone is completely different than making one CDMA phone compatible on a different CDMA network. Completely different types of technology.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
    But be sure that Verizon will charge monthly for the WIFI Hotspot (which is limited by 5 devices), therefore making MyFi that much better!! Wonder how long it will take to jailbreak the new VeriPhone!! Cause when that happens, and unlock follows, Sprint customers will want in on the action. Or Apple will just sign a deal with Sprint by year's end.
    Verizon currently charges $20 a month (over the data plan cost, which is $30 for unlimited) for hotspot tethering so unless they whip out iPhone only plans, it'll cost you an arm and a leg.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

DRFP (01-11-2011)

Thanks

Now that this has FINALLY been made public... the next wait begins... for the release of the unlock for BB 02.10.04...

Still waiting guys... while I'm still young...
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

Thanks

I can't believe MMi didn't let Messany write this article. He deserves a big "eff you" to all his haters on this board.

Interesting that this isn't an exclusive CDMA deal with Verizon. Definitely leaves the door open for Sprint.

And I can't wait for the speed tests that are inevitably coming next month. AT&T 3G is gonna smack the piss out of Verizon's EV-DO speeds lol.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast