+ Reply
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Comes to Verizon, Finally

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Ah at least you could have let Messany post this....
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ah at least you could have let Messany post this....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Android is behind on games. There is no argument there. Every other critique that people have though is honestly one of ignorance. I am not sure where some people come off saying you need a stylus or fingernails for android. That is downright incorrect. Funny how Verizon getting the iPhone still boils down to an iOS v Android debate for some people though, right?
    Several of my friends have EVOs on Sprint. I played with multiple EVOs.

I'm not going to waste my money switching companies just to TEST a phone that MIGHT be better... So NO I have never owned an Android phone, but this alone does not make me ignorant (which is an ignorant statement in your part.)

EVERY ONE had the same laggy, buggy, imprecise response to my fingertips, and improved GREATLY with the use of a stylus.

My friend Aleesha had a "touch" phone (non-android smartphone) which didn't respond to my finger AT ALL. Three months after purchase, the screen was scratched to death by her fingernails... Gotta love plastic screens! Yes, I know you can buy screen protectors, but if one is truly NEEDED, then it should come with the over-priced hunk of junk.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Here we go.......know what you are talking about.....

Captivate, Galaxy s Samsung phones are some of the best Android phones, they have a screen that is as good as an Iphone4,
    they have a processor as powerful and are as responsive as an Iphone 4

I know both my son's have one
    I was very impressed with them

I have an Iphone 3gs and 3g, compared to some droid phones the 3g is a piece of crap

Don't trash talk about Android in general without knowing enough about it.

Android can be as good as Apple

I like both

I like that I do not have to jailbreak an Android

ALSO.. I scratched my Iphone 3g screen within 24hours the first day and had to get a screen protector right away, now all my phones have screen protectors, again don't talk crap unless you can back it up.

PO's me to read stuff that is untrue
    Go buy an iPhone 4, I DID! You are comparing current Androids with OLD iPhones! Talk about hypocrisy, holy crap!

The Samsung line may be better, I have not gotten my hands on one yet, but with the consideration of all the others I have tried... I'm not holding my breath.

Androids have rooting, same as iPhones have Jailbreak.

And if you scratched your iPhone screen within 24 hours, I am SURE you did something dumb to cause it. Accidents happen, but I have NEVER heard of anyone getting scratches on their iPhone from their flippin fingernails!

I had the 2G, and a 3G before the iPhone 4. BOTH went careening out of my hands, onto concrete, several times each... Screens are still flawless to this day.

Know what YOU'RE talking about before acting like you are beyond reproach.

Good God!
    It's where you are.

Thanks
    Default Critique of Android phones: here's one point . . .
    Android is behind on games. There is no argument there. Every other critique that people have though is honestly one of ignorance. . .
    Haven't seen an Android phone yet whose display can hold a candle to the iPhone 4's - I put mine side by side to every smartphone user's phone that I can - Droid X for instance looks washed out and grainy next to the iPhone 4.

First Android phone that has 300 ppi resolution is the first Android phone that I will seriously consider - the iPhone 4 screen is just too good to give up.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 667 Posts

I agree people shouldn't trash the android phones. I like that you don't have to jailbreak them also . Plus for the ones trashing them? have you bothered to read about and seen the spec's for the new Motorola Atrix 4G coming to ATT.

MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G - Android 2.2 Smartphone - Wireless from AT&T

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

DRFP (01-11-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
    Now that this has FINALLY been made public... the next wait begins... for the release of the unlock for BB 02.10.04...

Still waiting guys... while I'm still young...

Option One: Unlock it yourself

Option Two: Wait patiently

Option Three: Get a different Phone

No disrespect intended, just tired of reading about people feeling "Entitled" to something they don't actively help solve...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Not necessarily. When you initiate a Facetime call it switches it to Data and drops the phone part of it so Verizon can probably get away with it.

EDIT: Looks like Verizon will be unveiling iPhone-specific data plans at a later date. Hmmm...
    If Facetime is limited to WiFi like it is on AT&T without jailbreaking, then it will work fine. However, if anyone thinks Verizon will be able to advertise Facetime without requiring WiFi use, there are 2 problems that need to be considered. First, Facetime needs a data connection to send the invite - if you're already on the phone with someone and want to switch over to Facetime, good luck with that. Second, once in a Facetime session, an incoming phone call will kill your data connection, thus killing your Facetime session.

The only way to make Facetime work well on Verizon is to force WiFi-only usage. If AT&T is smart, they'll allow Facetime over 3G. It's the perfect way to counter T-Mobile's latest bash-ads and prevent many from jumping ship to Verizon at the same time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    this is going to be fun about Cdma iPhone on Verizon.Trust me,you will see those iPhones being use on Sprint Network in just about few months after its release.Flashing them to other networks will be much easier than unlocking.And not just on Sprints,it will also be seen in carriers like metro pcs.
    Those being said,iPhones will be not just for AT&T(GSM) n Verizon(CDMA),but for all carriers.See,people,Apple is very smart.But still,for people who go overseas(outside USA),will never love this CDMA iPhones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPipad23 View Post
    this is going to be fun about Cdma iPhone on Verizon.Trust me,you will see those iPhones being use on Sprint Network in just about few months after its release.Flashing them to other networks will be much easier than unlocking.And not just on Sprints,it will also be seen in carriers like metro pcs.
    Those being said,iPhones will be not just for AT&T(GSM) n Verizon(CDMA),but for all carriers.See,people,Apple is very smart.But still,for people who go overseas(outside USA),will never love this CDMA iPhones.
    Well said on how its easier on to flash (CDMA) than to unlock (GSM). The issue lies in Sprint letting you do it. Well, they have a track record of not letting you do that. The other CDMA carriers? You will likely be able to use it on them.

Thanks

You do realize that a phone call will boot you out of whatever you are doing right? Hell, even on ATT if you are browsing the web and a phone call comes through it takes over the entire screen, thus interrupting your browsing. I am aware this was supposed to be funny but, well, it just wasn't.
    I've never had that problem, and i'd rather the phone call take up the screen then not get the call at all.....RIGHT. And also, it was very funny and you will laugh, ONE DAY. Point is, Verizon sucks and yes I've had all the carriers and many phones. I've tested and tested and nothing grabbed my like att service. I live I St Louis so maybe it's better here. Hopefully alot of whining people on this Site leaves att and goes to Verizon. Alot of us will appreciate it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So yes I real world tested both, I'm not saying that I think Iphone is not better, but the Captivate is far from lagging and crap..... Its pretty good

as I said know first hand about both

Also the Captivate has 16gb internal and you can add up to 32gb MicroSD to it!!!

I scratched my phone somehow by putting it in my cloth pants pocket alone

LOL I doubt that running a bare Iphone screen on concrete will not cause scratches LOL yeah right!

Rooting is not the same as Jailbreaking friend, Android is already open, rooting is making the user a super user. After rooting At&t still has a block on the phone, yet side loading will allow you to put apps on.

Major difference? no front camera on the Captivate (yet)

My next phone probably will be an Iphone 4 but we need to be real about other phones stop the unnecessary "them and us"
    My opinion is based on my experiences, period. I found that all Android phones I looked at, lagged. Maybe they had certain apps installed that a demo phone wouldn't?

I don't have a screen protector on my iPhone 4, and I ALWAYS put it in my pocket, hasn't scratched yet.

Dragging a screen across concrete is different than it landing on concrete.

Adding memory via SD is not important to me, and probably never will be, so it's not a criteria I use... However, my several hundred dollar iTunes library IS! Can't load iTunes music onto another player as far as I am aware, at least not without a torturous conversion process.

Realistically, unless you actually use FaceTime, the front camera is worthless. The quality is not there.

Rooting to become a "super user" is no different than jailbreaking to un-restrict data limits in the iTunes app. Same reasoning behind both... My phone, MY WAY.

I'm not being "unfair," I am comparing real world experience and usefulness. I plan on checking out the Samsung series, but the nearest AT&T store is 1.25hrs away. I will stop in, but only when I am out that way for a better reason, AND have time.

Competition is good, and if someone actually does make a better product, I may switch, but I am certainly not going to do it beforehand.
    It's where you are.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    Well said on how its easier on to flash (CDMA) than to unlock (GSM). The issue lies in Sprint letting you do it. Well, they have a track record of not letting you do that. The other CDMA carriers? You will likely be able to use it on them.
    Any Valid ESN can be use by any subscriber at will.When you activate a phone on CDMA,thats all you need.As I said,this is grand design by Apple to conquer the market share even if they have only AT&T and Verizon.This will kill some of the smart phone company maker,because on GSM alone,Apple grab an enormous market share.Now you add this CDMA..And notice that,every apple firmware updates always come with an exploit.Updates supposed to patch ecploits,but why it has always an exploitable bugs?You know what i mean?It is design,is n't it?To let other network be able to use iPhone for more sales...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The Captivate screen is better in daylight

Display Captivate 4″, 480 x 800 Pixels, AMOLED
    Iphone 3.5″, 960 x 640 Pixels

Just because this is an Apple Iphone site and we own Iphone's does not mean we have to trash other phones especially when truthfully they may be as good in some ways....... its just not good form.
    Um.. 960x800 > 480x800 no matter the screen size.

More pixels on a smaller screen = higher resolution.
    It's where you are.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I think spreading the wealth will benefit AT&T customers the most by freeing up bandwidth. I think Verizon's network will see an initial bog down period with a year of catch up.

How many ATT users will switch to Verizon, and how many will need to leave ATT for there to be a comparable difference in terms of 3S speeds?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    Go buy an iPhone 4, I DID! You are comparing current Androids with OLD iPhones! Talk about hypocrisy, holy crap!

The Samsung line may be better, I have not gotten my hands on one yet, but with the consideration of all the others I have tried... I'm not holding my breath.

Androids have rooting, same as iPhones have Jailbreak.

And if you scratched your iPhone screen within 24 hours, I am SURE you did something dumb to cause it. Accidents happen, but I have NEVER heard of anyone getting scratches on their iPhone from their flippin fingernails!

I had the 2G, and a 3G before the iPhone 4. BOTH went careening out of my hands, onto concrete, several times each... Screens are still flawless to this day.

Know what YOU'RE talking about before acting like you are beyond reproach.

Good God!
    As a person who has both a samsung Captivate and a Samsung Focus in his household - Resolution is the ONLY thing that the iphone's screen has on the newest Samsung Super AMOLED's. The colors/contrast ratio are absolutely gorgeous.

idevices (pre-4th generation) were some of the most scratch prone devices I ever owned. the 4 is much better, but no better than the HTC HD2 when it came out - 4 months before the iphone 4 did.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core i5-750@3[email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

DRFP (01-11-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Dear Dev Team,
    Please don't include those back stabbing verizon fanboys with any JB possibilities. TYVM.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Finally all the rumors confirmed!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

But you do not have to root to put the same Apps on the Android that are in Cydia, I know because I did it. Jailbreaking for many is to install Cydia apps and themes

You can do that out of the box with Android without rooting

The processor in the Captivate is as good as the one in the Iphone 4

To be honest, the Iphone has bugs, its far from perfect, like when my alarm and my wife's alarm both did not go off a week ago LOL a simple function the Iphone should be able to do I think.

There are newer Android phones coming out that have front cameras

they also have decent screens and processors

the Iphone is one of the only ones with a glass screen, not even laptop's have glass screens and will scratch, I find it a funny argument since Apple may be discontinuing the glass for LED tech of some kind
    Laptops don't rely on touch, nor are they put in a pocket. Any speculation about LED tech is just that, speculation. Who's to say LED requires a plastic screen anyway? It doesn't. The reason Apple uses glass is because of performance with regards to it's touch sensor tech.

I already covered the front camera issue, are you reading what I'm saying?

I never said the iPhone was perfect, where did you get that?

I did not jailbreak for themes, it was just a bonus. I jailbroke for function, which is the same reason people Jailbreak *edit | Sorry... root |* their Androids.

For the record: To the one who mentioned Android forums; I don't look at Android forums, because I do not own one... Would be a waste of my time, much like the trolls here who do not own an Apple device.
    It's where you are.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    As a person who has both a samsung Captivate and a Samsung Focus in his household - Resolution is the ONLY thing that the iphone's screen has on the newest Samsung Super AMOLED's. The colors/contrast ratio are absolutely gorgeous.

idevices (pre-4th generation) were some of the most scratch prone devices I ever owned. the 4 is much better, but no better than the HTC HD2 when it came out - 4 months before the iphone 4 did.
    It's a phone first, not a TV. I don't need to watch Avatar on a tiny phone, I can watch it on BluRay with my HDTV for contrast beauty.

Why does everyone expect these things to be greater than a dedicated device at anything?

I don't know what you guys did to scratch your screens, but it has never been an issue for me... Do you put it in your pocket with change? Credit cards? Keys?

I always have one pocket completely empty.. This way I have a place for my phone, an I have done this since LONG before the iPhone was even a glimmer in Jobs's eyes.
    It's where you are.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    The title for this shoul have been "I TOLD YOU SO" and written by Messany LOL.
    But ironically... After all his posts, it was Paul who made the announcement news.

+ Reply
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast