+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: JP Morgan Predicts More Expensive iPhone on Verizon

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to J.P. Morgan analyst Mark Moskowitz, Verizon customers excited about the prospective arrival of a certain Apple smartphone on the nation's largest mobile network might find themselves at a
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default JP Morgan Predicts More Expensive iPhone on Verizon

According to J.P. Morgan analyst Mark Moskowitz, Verizon customers excited about the prospective arrival of a certain Apple smartphone on the nation's largest mobile network might find themselves at a slight cost disadvantage over their peers on AT&T. Moskowitz predicts that Verizon may charge between $20 and $30 more than AT&T for the subsidized Apple iPhone price. Why? You can thank the higher expenses related to CDMA wireless components for this anticipated hike.

"The key differentiator is the cost of CDMA-related components," Moskowitz wrote Monday in a note to investors. "While the acquisition price of the iPhone could be slightly more expensive for subscribers on Verizon, we think that there will be offsets, specifically network performance." Moskowitz is taking a cautionary position on whether or not Verizon's network is up to the challenge of a Verizon iPhone - a product arrival that could initially overwhelm the network with millions of new iPhone customers, especially if reports of unlimited iPhone data plans pan out.

"If Verizon can avoid network performance issues during and after a potential iPhone roll-out, then we expect a multi-year growth spurt in U.S. iPhone sales," Moskowitz observed, noting that many AT&T iPhone subscribers are expected to leave their present carrier for the anticipated greener pastures of Verizon. Corroborating that claim is analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray, who also chimed in Monday to say that AT&T will likely sell six million fewer iPhones this year as a direct result of Verizon's non-exclusive acquisition of the iPhone.

Barron's

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (01-10-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

looks like that "i" in verizon was there for a reason, can't wait till launch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can't wait either... Finally ppl will clear up the Att network! Awesome
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

Thanks

Verizon is not all that it is tracked up to be. Their services are expensive just by itself. My i4 does all i want it to do and I am ok with ATT services for now.

RF1
    Thanks

finally i will be free from at&t ! free at last! free at last!

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

This is gonna make for an interesting next few months as verizons network takes on the heavy load of high bandwidth iphone users, that use twice as much data on average when compared to other smart phone users.

Oh by the way congrats MEssany, you must finally be in your glory now with a verizon iphone coming...lol
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 01-10-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (01-11-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

WTF MMi?! Get rid of the ads in the actual words of posts. It's pissing me off and keeping me from reading. I move my cursor around to keep my place while I'm reading and I keep getting stupid pop-ups about Android phones that cover the story. Yeah, good job.

Until you fix that, you lost a reader. How tacky.

Oh, and good job fixing the "Not mobile?" button on the iPhone version of the site. It's been, what, at least a year? It doesn't work. If you're not going to fix it, just remove it.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

cocoabean772 (01-10-2011), DRFP (01-10-2011), mavisxp (01-10-2011)

Thanks

I really hope this does bring price drops on at&t side to stay competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    WTF MMi?! Get rid of the ads in the actual words of posts. It's pissing me off and keeping me from reading. I move my cursor around to keep my place while I'm reading and I keep getting stupid pop-ups about Android phones that cover the story. Yeah, good job.

I have never had this issue, you sure you don't have some type of spyware?
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 01-10-2011 at 10:26 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post

Oh, and good job fixing the "Not mobile?" button on the iPhone version of the site. It's been, what, at least a year? It doesn't work. If you're not going to fix it, just remove it.
    I know what you mean by the ads when hovering your mouse over certain word, yes that can be disturbing sometimes, but surely not something to get worked up about

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try using a different browser. But it seems like you have some adware installed on your computer. I can tell you though, that the words on my page lead to no advertisements. Its YOUR computer

Thanks

Won't happen. This "analyst" gets paid far too much to be this wrong. No way they're gonna make you pay more and risk hurting sales. Or losing people to AT&T on a price difference. I can't believe that's even being suggested.

And Apple is gonna make a major KILLING on this CDMA version off-contract. I know of half a dozen people off the top of my head who will be paying the full retail price for this because they just got locked into a 2-Year VZW deal with some crappy Android device (X, Fascinate, etc.). Seriously, so many people are going to be paying out of pocket for this thing.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope this happens so the rumors will stop! F U Verizon!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

code3-ems (01-10-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Why not charge more? People have been begging for this for yeaaaaaars. Att = cheaper data capped, verizon = more expensive "unlimited" data.
    If there's one thing I've learned about apple customers, they are willing to pay a little more to get exactly what they want

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

no surprise here. verizon raising prices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RF1 View Post
    finally i will be free from at&t ! free at last! free at last!
    Good riddance, my available bandwith thanks you!
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

code3-ems (01-10-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are we gonna have 2 kinds of iphone4?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    Why not charge more? People have been begging for this for yeaaaaaars. Att = cheaper data capped, verizon = more expensive "unlimited" data.
    If there's one thing I've learned about apple customers, they are willing to pay a little more to get exactly what they want
    Won't happen. Quote me on it and come back tomorrow. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it and then rant about how retarded VZW is. Makes zero sense. They may do $250 with a $50 mail-in rebate/debit card but no way the total price of the phone is $250. No way.

VZW is way overpriced. I'm completely happy with AT&T and have been for the 3+ years I've been with them so I have no desire to switch anyway. But $350 ETFs and outrageous security deposits for new customers?? I have an 810 credit score and they wanted a $100 deposit back in '07 when I was thinking of signing up. Give me a break.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    Won't happen. Quote me on it and come back tomorrow. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it and then rant about how retarded VZW is. Makes zero sense. They may do $250 with a $50 mail-in rebate/debit card but no way the total price of the phone is $250. No way.

VZW is way overpriced. I'm completely happy with AT&T and have been for the 3+ years I've been with them so I have no desire to switch anyway. But $350 ETFs and outrageous security deposits for new customers?? I have an 810 credit score and they wanted a $100 deposit back in '07 when I was thinking of signing up. Give me a break.
    I have seen a few reports already stating that verizon may be charging more for the subsidized handset price due to the added cost of the cdma chipset. I know it would seem counterproductive to do this, but it wouldn't surprise me honestly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post

Tried the same thing with me when I signed up in 2006. I walked out, and then came back a week later, to the same store. No deposit necessary this time. Amazing what you can get shoved down your throat if you allow them to.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I would laugh my *** off if tomorrow it was something other than the iPhone. I personally think it is going to be the iPhone and who cares really... doesnt verizon have a 5 GB cap on DATA for smartphones anyways? I dont understand what this unlimited data rumor is all about. Verizon is expensive as hell and i had crappy service with them, i can't believe all the verizon lovers out there. Lets just see how badass verizon is once they have millions of iphones bogging down their "superior" network. HA people will blame the problem on the new "antenna design" i am anxious to see how this plays out actually.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast