+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon iPhone to Come with Unlimited Data: WSJ

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Verizon will offer unlimited data plans when it launches the iPhone on its network later this month, the Wall Street Journal is reporting . As a sign of confidence in
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon iPhone to Come with Unlimited Data: WSJ

Verizon will offer unlimited data plans when it launches the iPhone on its network later this month, the Wall Street Journal is reporting. As a sign of confidence in the reliability of its network - and to provide a point of comparison with AT&T - the carrier is expected to provide the same uncapped data plans for the iPhone it currently offers users of other smartphones. Meanwhile, AT&T wasted no time attacking its rival-to-be, with the company's PR chief saying that iPhones will be in the "slow lane" on Verizon's CDMA network.

The Verizon iPhone is expected to be the same device as the AT&T iPhone 4 (possibly with minor antenna modifications). So the carrier needs to offer some compelling reason why users should switch. While Verizon's superior coverage will be attractive to some, many users are in cities where both carriers offer similar service. An unlimited data plan will be a powerful inducement to AT&T customers, who will face a steep cancellation fee for switching.

After the report came out, the Silicon Valley-based Business Insider contacted AT&T's senior vice president of corporate communication, Larry Solomon, for a response. "The iPhone is built for speed," he said, "but that's not what you get with a CDMA phone." Perhaps unintentionally confirming the Verizon iPhone speculation, he mused that he's "not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane." CDMA differs substantially from the GSM technology used on current iPhones in that separate connections are required for voice and data, preventing users from accessing the Internet while on a call. The EV-DO Rev. A 3G data network maxes out at 3 Mb/s as compared to a theoretical top speed of 14 Mb/s on AT&T's HSDPA system. Verizon has been developing a workaround - called Voice over Rev. A or VoRA - allowing simultaneous voice and data, but it's not known if the Verizon iPhone will incorporate this technology.

The Wall Street Journal piece was written by Spencer Ante and Yukari Kane for the newspaper's print edition, in comparison with other recent reports which appeared on the Journal's AllThingsD site. The prestigious financial newspaper seldom prints mere rumors, relying on an extensive network of corporate contacts that are carefully vetted and verified. And as always, it's not real until Steve Jobs announces it from a stage somewhere, but this report is credible enough to be worth noticing.

Source: Wall Street Journal

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

turkey26 (01-10-2011)

Thanks

Woooo
    Founder & Owner of Akufu.com

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Their network is gonna be so bogged down! I can't wait for people to get off at&t's network to lighten up the traffic for us just to realize they made a mistake.

Same "un-capped" data? Isnt there a 5 GB cap right now on Verizon for other smartphones?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

DRFP (01-10-2011), GellBrake'rrrr (01-11-2011), Poseidon79 (01-10-2011)

Thanks

There will be many AT&T users that switch, especially for the uncapped data.
    Apples taste good.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Where is the T-Mobile Love. APPLE NEEDS TO GET ON THE BALL!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ibednego For This Useful Post:

("\(.:...:.)/")~RaWr (01-11-2011)

Thanks

As a Canadian I have to say that you guys seriously took it in the butt with this AT&T exclusivity fiasco. Up here we've had the iPhone on every major carrier since day one so we may not feel your pain but we feel for ya.

Should be interesting to see if there's enough of a crowd walking from AT&T to actually lighten their network traffic level to make a difference. I honestly doubt it seeing as the degree of iPhone users that would have to switch would be in the millions but, hey, you never know.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon claim to have the best network. I hope they let you tether for free.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    Verizon claim to have the best network. I hope they let you tether for free.
    guess we will see how crappy their network is once its lagged by all the data iphone users, use.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i can only imagine the monthly charge, Verizon is gonna put for the Iphone call/text+unlimited data...smdh

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'll believe it when I see it
    This stuff has been going around for ever

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Competition will be nice. Verizon is going to have $50 unlimited, pushing AT&T to lower their prices to $40 unlimited, and it will keep going until it is free.

Well... I can dream.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Perhaps this is what Verizon meant when they said Apple required them to prove themselves before they could carry the iPhone. Verizon had to work out the bugs and make voice/data a possibility on the CDMA network. Surely Apple wouldn't want a crippled version of their device, so Verizon could have it only if they could fix that issue.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to davidkraft86 For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (01-10-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Smart move with the unlimited data. I don't know about everyone else but I would love to switch to Verizon but thought that wouldn't be practical with limited data I would have to worry about.

Green Apple
    Thanks

sweet I still get to have my unlimited data plan and a less congested network on AT&T, sucks to be a verizon user

What's Jailbreak? colorado_junkie's Avatar
    Thanks

CDMA differs substantially from the GSM technology used on current iPhones in that separate connections are required for voice and data, preventing users from accessing the Internet while on a call. The EV-DO Rev. A 3G data network maxes out at 3 Mb/s as compared to a theoretical top speed of 14 Mb/s on AT&T's HSDPA system. Verizon has been developing a workaround - called Voice over Rev. A or VoRA - allowing simultaneous voice and data, but it's not known if the Verizon iPhone will incorporate this technology.

Although it's an iPhone, the network jump is NOT WORTH the effort because of this reason!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any possible way att would endup matching this unlimited deal?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Colorado Junkie, do you really talk on the phone while on an Internet browser so often that it would deter you from ever switching?

Will this move make cydia tweaks like mywi be re-developed for Verizons network?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Unlimited is unlimited as they claim, they cap you after certain GB of use, but they slow you down, they do not stop you from browsing. AT&T doesn't slow you down, they just charge you up the a** if you go over your GB/MB, so it is unlimited as they claim. I have to see for a few months how it goes in VZ before I change, I would never jump in the boat the first day

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    Colorado Junkie, do you really talk on the phone while on an Internet browser so often that it would deter you from ever switching?

Will this move make cydia tweaks like mywi be re-developed for Verizons network?
    It's not just web browsing, it is being able to check and send emails while talking, which I do constantly with my job. I send and receive pdf and excel files all day long on my iphone, especially while talking on it. I know this is a big reason to stay with at&t for me, even if verizon has better pricing.

I would imagine apps like mywi would need an update, probably will charge you for it too.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

colorado_junkie (01-10-2011)

What's Jailbreak? colorado_junkie's Avatar
    Thanks

@kraziebone - Not to an abnormal extent, but yes. The internet browser is not the only app I use for this particualr function as some games I play also require an internet connection. A bit childish to play games while on the phone, but, c'est la vie!

And I'm pretty sure most JB apps and tweaks will be modified for the Verizon network.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast