+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon iPhone to Come with Unlimited Data: WSJ

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Using mywi I got as high as 13.2mbits down. Pretty impressive I personally think. I truly hope At&t matches their unlimited plan. Their stupid ploy to slow down data usage
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Using mywi I got as high as 13.2mbits down. Pretty impressive I personally think. I truly hope At&t matches their unlimited plan. Their stupid ploy to slow down data usage by capping plans at 2gb a month for only 5 dollars cheaper than their previously unlimited package is very annoying. I used 5gbs this month so I'm going to speak to retentions and threaten to cancel and hopefully they will give me the legacy unlimited package. I think they will. Since their response to why no more unlimited is "our average users use less than 2gb a month" guess I'm a rarity in their eyes

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i hope this work around for voice and data includes a work around for the lack of compatibility when the company goes LTE and everyone still has CDMA iphones since there wont be backwards compatibility with LTE and CDMA.

If I'm wrong someone let me know.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Same "un-capped" data? Isnt there a 5 GB cap right now on Verizon for other smartphones?
    No, there is not.

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    I thought transfer speed would be a bigger issue (it is for me at least).

On my AT&T iP4 I can get up to 4 Mbit down / 2 Mbit up in my area. Isn't EV-DO Rev. B limited to like 1-1.5 Mbit down and 500-700 kbit up in real world usage?

(Perhaps someone with more experience with a Verizon android phone could correct me?)
    It is, but funny thing is that when loading web pages and the like, iPhone 4 and EVO are neck and neck sitting right next to eachother for me. We can keep upping the download/upload speed, but after a certain extent it simply isn't going to be noticably different. If you are uploading something or perhaps downloading pictures and the like often I can see more speed as being a perk. It's also great for tethering/file transfer. For every day phone use (which is why most are buying this) adding to you down/up speed is really going to give you nothing but bragging rights.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-10-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    It is, but funny thing is that when loading web pages and the like, iPhone 4 and EVO are neck and neck sitting right next to eachother for me. We can keep upping the download/upload speed, but after a certain extent it simply isn't going to be noticably different. If you are uploading something or perhaps downloading pictures and the like often I can see more speed as being a perk. It's also great for tethering/file transfer. For every day phone use (which is why most are buying this) adding to you down/up speed is really going to give you nothing but bragging rights.
    For sure, completely agree. Reminds me of how a few years ago residential broadband and desktop CPUs got "fast enough" where it was acceptable for 90%+ situations. It's what cracks me up about the whole "4G" push. A lot of people seem to want extra speed and not realize they would never notice it. The only situations for me where this makes a difference is video streaming (airvideo and facetime). Being able to pipe a 720p video through 2.5 Mbit is much nicer than < 1Mbit. That's only even relevant for me because I still have the $30/unlimited data plan, without which video streaming on a large scale (TV shows and movies) becomes impractical.

It reminds me of a quote I saw from a Verizon exec talking about rolling out their LTE network, where he emphasized that getting 1+ Mbit to almost all users was more important than getting 10+ Mbit to a few users. Considering SD video streams are < 1Mbit, and HD streams can be < 3Mbit, that seems like a pretty good plan.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    Facetime is suppose to only work while on wifi, so it won't be a issue on cdma. Except for jailbreakers that want to use it over 3g.
    Good point, but I'm going on the assumption that eventually apple will allow FaceTime over 3G natively.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Good point, but I'm going on the assumption that eventually apple will allow FaceTime over 3G natively.
    That seems like a good assumption. When it launched, they said it would be WiFi only because the carriers weren't "quite there yet". I was getting 100-300 kbit upstream at the time. Well I've got 1.5-2 Mbit up now, and Verizon iPhones should be able to get at least 500k. That seems like enough that we should get software support soon.

At least Skype and Yahoo! IM officially support video chat now, for 3G or Phone-PC compatibility.

Zon
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple should offer the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 in Black & White right from the get-go. No more of this delay of the white iPhone biz. Also I hope a crapload of AT&T users move over to VZW as maybe it'll free up some bandwidth for us staying on AT&T.

Two things AT&T really should do:
    * Up that stupid 2GB cap to at least 5GB for data
    * Let all iPhone plans get the A-List feature

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    So glad i still have my 30.00 Unlimited data that got carried over from my IPhone 3G . Instead of 15.00 for up to 200MB and 25.00 for up to 2GB.
    Same here! I'm excited to see how the verizon network will hold up during the release. I think that AT&T has held up like a champ during iPhone releases
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wirehedd View Post
    As a Canadian I have to say that you guys seriously took it in the butt with this AT&T exclusivity fiasco. Up here we've had the iPhone on every major carrier since day one so we may not feel your pain but we feel for ya.

Should be interesting to see if there's enough of a crowd walking from AT&T to actually lighten their network traffic level to make a difference. I honestly doubt it seeing as the degree of iPhone users that would have to switch would be in the millions but, hey, you never know.
    What igloo have you been hiding in!

Rogers was the first and exclusive carrier of iPhone in Canada when it got here and a year late at that mind you.

Bell & Telus did not get iPhones until late 2009 after upgrading their own outdated CDMA networks to GSM systems.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Strange... I thought Apple said that they would not release a CDMA phone and now seems they are releasing a CDMA still.. very very Strange... I`ve read that many time on the NET..
    No CDMA iPhone released even on Verizon.. So WTF is with this CDMA thing..........

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,056 Times in 1,696 Posts

I just called and complained and got unlimited and tethered data from AT&T for the same deal as my 2GB plan. I think they know a mass exodus is coming.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    I just called and complained and got unlimited and tethered data from AT&T for the same deal as my 2GB plan. I think they know a mass exodus is coming.

Lol, Right on man! I'm lucky to have been grand-fathered in to the 5GB plan. However, I do not get the pricing for 2GB plan. 30 bucks, but whatever. Hopefully, by the end of February, we'll see some relief on the AT&T network. We'll see.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
    Im grandfathered into the old unlim data plan from my 3G and wont move. I just wish that I could surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time...FAIL on AT&T
    ^this. I'm the same. In fact, I bought my 3gS off eBay so I wouldn't have to sign a new contract and give up my unlimited data. I have a deathgrip on my unlimited data plan and every time I make a change I do it with AT&T on the phone and make sure that I ask them if it will affect it.

Furthermore, when I had my droid incredible it downloaded shiz just as fast as my buddy's 3gS so no AT&T isn't actually faster when signals are equal and this is based on my real life experiences since I have both.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    ^this. I'm the same. In fact, I bought my 3gS off eBay so I wouldn't have to sign a new contract and give up my unlimited data. I have a deathgrip on my unlimited data plan and every time I make a change I do it with AT&T on the phone and make sure that I ask them if it will affect it.

Furthermore, when I had my droid incredible it downloaded shiz just as fast as my buddy's 3gS so no AT&T isn't actually faster when signals are equal and this is based on my real life experiences since I have both.
    Hmmm, I upgraded to both the 3GS and then the iP4 and retained my $30 unlimited plan. The only time I've been forced to change data plans was going from iP2G to 3G ($20 to $30).

In regards to verizon speed being the same, I just checked my speed. This is in north Mississippi, 3G, 3 bars out of 5, from inside my house, with an iP4. Short of Verizon's limited 4G network, you cant get these speeds on Verizon. And I can browse while I talk to boot!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So they upgraded you to unlimited?
    Wow if they start doing this at AT&T I might join them over Verizon. (only because Cydia is available)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
    Im grandfathered into the old unlim data plan from my 3G and wont move. I just wish that I could surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time...FAIL on AT&T
    Same here! But yah ,got the unlimited data plan from the 3G days back when fw was 3.2.1 .. Not moving .... I'm sitting pretty!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starfuryt550 View Post
    Just like ATT, verizon's "unlimited" data is a 5GB plan per month. It is the same as the old ATT grandfathered "unlimited plan" which was a 5GB/month plan. It is NOT truly unlimited on either company and both are full of ****.

Verizon's network sucks for not being able to use a data and a voice stream at the same time. This is something that is exceptional with ATT over all other CDMA networks that cannot handle this. My friend cannot receive pics, vids, data, anything multimedia if she is on a call. It sucks butt and thanks to ATT, we have this capability
    AT&T's rather new broadband network which is CDMA based was the first time they ever had a bb platform. Prior to that they and T-Mobile were lock to the old TDMA based GSM network which was never bb. Sprint and VZW were the only two firms in the late 90's to launch CDMA.

It may be a sending data packets while in a voice call does not in any way indicate the bb capability of the network platform--they chose to limit simultaneous connections in favor of the high number of subs which is greater than ATT. LTE will be the holy grail of true bb data but it will come at a rather high cost. It will be an order of magnitude faster than AT&T's WCDMA network today. Sure AT&T will eventually have LTE ad well and both will benefit AGAIN when they get to sell yet ANOTHER iPhone to those of us who just have to ride that technology curve which continues to feed that capitalistic monster.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

AT&T is substantially faster than Verizon where I live. After some people switch, the difference will be even greater. Also, I have unlimited data on my iPhone with AT&T, so I see no reason to switch.

Thanks
    AT&T coverage isn't that great where I am. Verizon is pretty good. Though I hope they will make a T-Mobile iPhone!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kariodude View Post
    AT&T is substantially faster than Verizon where I live. After some people switch, the difference will be even greater. Also, I have unlimited data on my iPhone with AT&T, so I see no reason to switch.
    Yep, from a technological standpoint, AT&T's 3G network is much faster than Verizon's and Sprint's. In fact, AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA+ (upgraded 3G) is faster than Sprint's 4G/WiMax. This is why TMobile started calling their HSPA+ system 4G... and AT&T followed after ITU changed their definition of 4G.

Verizon's limited area 4G LTE is probably the overall fastest right now, though T-Mobile's HSPA+ could rival it if T-Mobile does indeed push it to 42Mb/s. AT&T is also rolling out their 4G LTE this year with anticipated completion in 2013. As AT&T is already going with HSPA+ 21Mb/s and increasing that with LTE, it looks like the future is bright for AT&T users!