+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Announcement at 11am, 1/11/11

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Verizon has begun sending out press invitations for a special event next Tuesday, prompting yet another round of speculation about the long-rumored announcement of a second US carrier for the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon Announcement at 11am, 1/11/11

Verizon has begun sending out press invitations for a special event next Tuesday, prompting yet another round of speculation about the long-rumored announcement of a second US carrier for the iPhone. The Wall Street Journal is quoting "sources close to the company" as saying this is indeed the case. Combined with reports earlier today that Apple had put its retail employees' vacations on hold, the news has prompted many to anticipate such an announcement.

According to invitations sent to a number of reporters in the technology field, Verizon's event at Frederick P. Rose Hall in New York City's Lincoln Center will start at 11:00am on January 11th, 2011. The invitation contained no details about the subject of the announcement (or the significance of all those 11s), but the Wall Street Journal's John Paczkowski says that his sources tell him that the near-mythical CDMA iPhone will be unveiled at this event. The Journal led the old media sources earlier this year with reports of a Verizon iPhone, after months of vague rumors on the blogs. And one other interesting bit of news: Gizmodo, which leaked the iPhone 4 months before its official release, was not invited.

As is always the case with these reports, take it with a grain of salt. However, the rumors have been converging remarkably well to an early-2011 launch of a Verizon iPhone. Today's revelation that Apple retail employees will not be able to schedule vacation time during a "blackout" period from the last week of January through the first half of February, was the capstone to multiple reports. Apple has traditionally put vacations on hold during iPhone launches to handle the increased demand.

Source: Digital Daily

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Kittychan83 (01-07-2011)

Thanks

This is interesting. However, it doesn't seem likely that Verizon would get this announcement and not Apple. Seems like Apple would want to unveil this themselves.

The Gizmodo rumor thing is interesting but do they normally get invited? And Engadget is the blog that broke the news, not Gizmodo. I'd be surprised if this is the iPhone unless Jobs is there and walks out on stage with Ivan. Still seems like Apple would want this event.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon iPhone rumors might finally die?

It can also be the iPad 2 being announced with Verizon's 4g LTE technology built in.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

what you think? Will they sell it cheaper, same price, more expensive?
    Locked or Unlocked ?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^ There is no reason for Verizon, in the US, to sell an unlocked iPhone. CDMA locked versus unlocked would matter to almost nobody, except maybe the odd person on cricket or some other extremely small cdma network. For that reason, if they get it, I am sure it will be locked. Considering they haven't dropped any of their pricing plans, I would assume it will be right on par with pricing plans of their Android phone lines (talking monthly rates here). The cost of phone will likely be the same as that on ATT's network after a two year contract as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    This is interesting. However, it doesn't seem likely that Verizon would get this announcement and not Apple. Seems like Apple would want to unveil this themselves.

The Gizmodo rumor thing is interesting but do they normally get invited? And Engadget is the blog that broke the news, not Gizmodo. I'd be surprised if this is the iPhone unless Jobs is there and walks out on stage with Ivan. Still seems like Apple would want this event.
    Why would Steve Jobs want to be there? If it is the iPhone 4, it's not a new product announcement. Just a new carrier. The iPhone is on several carriers outside of the US and I highly doubt Steve was there every time.

Also, according to Gizmodo's blog...yes, they have been invited to every Verizon press event for years. I posted story a while back and read a lot into it since. Even the Wall Street Journal (not much credibility but) is stating this will be about the Verizon iPhone 4.
    Last edited by ylerT; 01-07-2011 at 04:47 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ylerT For This Useful Post:

vana (01-07-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can it be??

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I heard it was dropping the 4th of Feb

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

BustAGroove (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

So tuesday well be the day huh? lets see what happens i guess
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Nice!! It must be the new iPhone11.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

I heard late Feb. early March. The guy I know doesn't even want the iPhone at his store. He is a true Android Fanboy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

I can see why some verizon reps wouldnt want the iphone. Verizon did a lot of bashing against apple and att now they sort of look bad if they get and will have to explain to many customers why they want the phone over " Droid"
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    I can see why some verizon reps wouldnt want the iphone. Verizon did a lot of bashing against apple and att now they sort of look bad if they get and will have to explain to many customers why they want the phone over " Droid"
    Android is about to get bludgeoned. They'll still be around but their market share is gonna be 12-15% after this year with Apple being around 40-45%

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've been waiting for this since iPhone 2G, you think about it this rumor has been ongoing for quite some time. I'm the only person I'm my family on AT&T cause of the iPhone so maybe I won't have to be the goose anymore ( or pay the bill )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ylerT View Post
    Why would Steve Jobs want to be there? If it is the iPhone 4, it's not a new product announcement. Just a new carrier. The iPhone is on several carriers outside of the US and I highly doubt Steve was there every time.

Also, according to Gizmodo's blog...yes, they have been invited to every Verizon press event for years. I posted story a while back and read a lot into it since. Even the Wall Street Journal (not much credibility but) is stating this will be about the Verizon iPhone 4.
    Apparently ATD is saying Jobs will be there. Apple is a US company and Verizon is the largest US carrier. Why wouldn't he be there?

Wall Street Journal: Verizon to announce iPhone on Tuesday (Steve Jobs to appear?) -- Engadget

Thanks

I'll be really happy if this actually happens. I can't wait for AT&T to get more bandwidth from less users while Verizon gets flamed for their slow as crap network.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nielsenius For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (01-08-2011), h2a (01-08-2011), kuhndsn (01-07-2011), moon#pie (01-07-2011), Poseidon79 (01-07-2011), TBSS (01-08-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wall Street Journal has also been "confirming" the Verizon iPhone for years. Steve Jobs may be there but what's he going to say? Here's the same iPhone with a different carrier...enjoy. The reason Verizon is holding this event is to announce the phone, price and plans.

Don't get me wrong...I really hope this is finally it. It's starting to get ridiculous how many of the tech blogs are plastered with this rumor.

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

I gurantee you it wont be LTE!

Thanks

Love it or hate it, the rumor mill is in full swing! I've never seen this much talk about Verizon/iPhone EVER! I truly believe it has already happened and we will be the last to know :]

It's smart business...if Apple continues to expand it's U.S. carrier base, they will no doubt become the #1 phone manufacturer world wide. Apple tends to spearhead technology or make what is out there better first. Meanwhile the other manufacturers tend to copy Apple and STAY at least a step or two behind. Just look at the history and the evolution of the smart phone....POINT PROVEN :]

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

On one hand, I'm not sure about Verizon announcing the iPhone on Verizon, you would think Apple would want to make an announcement as big as that. But then again, it's not a new iPhone design or anything, it's a carrier addition. So maybe it does fall to Verizon to announce the Verizon iPhone. The rumors have been especially intense this year, so I think it's finally going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast