+ Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Announcement at 11am, 1/11/11

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by moon#pie It was a semi-serious joke. I laughed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    It was a semi-serious joke.
    I laughed

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Hmm then they can use the GSM Iphone instead of the CDMA
    Yet I think the switch would take time

The stories seem to support the Iphone not GSM

Verizon iPhone Release Date Leaked

cellular-news | Daily news from the telecoms industry

theres more, no stories that its about all GSM network..................

Your kidding right?
    Android has some advantages over IOS
    My kids have Androids and love them and are as much anti Iphone as you seem to be Android.

Look there is room for both its weBos who is out and Blackberry that may soon be sinking methinks
    Actually, he was saying that Android will survive. He wasn't hating.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yet another one .. really who cares about it ? People are so up in arms about Verizon network . I switched from Verizon to ATT&T to get the iPhone and I'm much more satisfied with Att&T's network .. I live in Twin Cites. Mostt of all Att& T is GSM try to unlock your CDMA when you traveling to Europe.. good luck

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Hopefully we can either activate it on Sprint or flash it to a smaller CDMA carrier like Cricket, page plus, or Metro PCS. Seriously are AT&T customers really going to save money by going to Verizon? They are the 2 most expensive carriers out of the big 5 US carriers.
    Sprint is a definite no. Smaller carriers are a possibility though.

Quote Originally Posted by 04blkoutstng View Post
    While you make a good point, the iPad is already on Verizon's network. When that was first announced, alarms went off for me considering there was tension between the companies after verizon execs publicly bashed the iphone. With the ipad already on verizon's network, it only makes sense for the iphone to follow. From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. Inclusion of the iphone means more business for apple and verizon, a win win. Of course im pointing out the obvious.
    No, it's actually not. It is simply being bundled with Verizon's wireless hotspot. Places like Wall-Mart sell the iPad, why not allo Verizon to sell them as well?

Quote Originally Posted by TypeRBass View Post
    I pay less on AT&T than I would if I was on Verizon...so I don't know what you're talking about.
    Not sure what ATT plan you are on. Do you get a discount? Side by side, with the same bare-bones plan, the prices are the same. The difference? ATT only gives new customers 2GB data per month.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    lol its called LTE and both Verizon (now) and AT&T (summer '11) will be using it on a major scale by the end of this year. Its not GSM or CDMA.

So probably starting with the iPhone 5 (maybe 6) this summer, they will only need to produce one version of the iPhone and it will compatible with both VZW and AT&T. That's why, from a cost/production standpoint, this CDMA iPhone makes no sense. They alter production and spend huge amounts of money for a phone they're going to replace in 6 months of less. Although Apple is pretty slow at adopting new technology so we may not see an LTE iPhone till 2012. But that would put Apple WAY behind the smartphone curve so who knows. In any case I don't understand why they'd release a CDMA now. Wait and release the LTE in June that's compatible with both networks.
    Verizon (and ATT) will not have LTE nationwide in nearly enough time. Verizon's CDMA will definitely be alive and well for at least another half dozen years.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    AT&T is supposed to introduce a line up of 10-14 different Android phones so there may be some hope yet for the droids. I am going to e checking them all out when they launch. Android is gaining, in its usability, with every release and if I can switch to a droid and keep my unlimited data then I won't rule out getting rid of my iPhone one day.
    That is the laughable point, to me anyway. People using phrases like "some hope yet". There really isn't anything to indicate that androids needs said glimmer of hope. They are doing wonderfully, and growing daily. I love my iPhone 4. I love my EVO. I am simply in the minority of not having much bias it seems. Don't get me wrong, I am not calling you anti-anything, just saying that the mentality here basically seems to be that iOS is the be all end all of mobile operating systems. The funny thing is that, at one point, people said the same about palm and blackberry. If I had to pick one thing (and there is more than one, but let's just leave it at one) that Apple does better than everyone else, it is getting their customers to be brand loyal. I am not sure how they do it, but they get even their new adopters to feel like there will never be any other technology, outside of that which Apple releases, worth so much as looking into. Again, not saying YOU are specifically this way (especially based on the latter part of your post), just stating my (somewhat over generalized) observations.

Your kidding right?
    Android has some advantages over IOS
    My kids have Androids and love them and are as much anti Iphone as you seem to be Android.

Look there is room for both its weBos who is out and Blackberry that may soon be sinking methinks
    Kind sir, please take the time to read my post again. You missed 100% of what I just said.

For your convenience, I have added here in bold. I have also placed the key word in the sentence in red.
    I seem to be one of the only ones who doesn't think Android will fall flat on its *** after this announcement (assuming that it's more than just a rumor... again). Ah well, guess we will have to wait and see.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-08-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

If you truly believe that android won't suffer from one of their major sellers getting the iPhone then I can see where you may find it laughable. However, the iPhone will outsell Android on Verizons network.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieSmith View Post
    The CDMA iPhone is gonna be a bit of a disappointment to Verizon customers as they still won't be able to talk & surf simultaneously until LTE. (this will NOT be an LTE iPhone because Jobs would definitely reveal that one- maybe later this year.)
    Don't get me wrong, I am not going to be the idiot that claims that surfing the web while talking is not a great feature. But I also don't think VZW customers are going to be all that disappointed. Those that currently use VZW are aware of this limitation. Those that are hopping from ATT to VZW (which I still think would be far fewer numbers than people seem to believe) will probably notice it, but these same people will probably be wanting a larger coverage map with data, so I am sure they would be willing to toss it aside. We will also be able to finally see if the infamous dropped calls is Apple's issue, or the network's. If Verizon iPhones don't drop calls, even I would say that is a healthy change. I have found myself browsing the net while talking MAYBE 1% of the time. Again, I know my usage isn't indicative of what is the norm, but I think people are overestimating just how many people use the net while talking on the phone. In general, my calls are either short enough that I don't have time to be browsing he web on my phone during a call, or engaging enough that I am simply not interested in browsing the web. I think actual simultaneous use of the web while on a call is somewhere between my numbers and maybe 5%. In short, nowhere near a deal breaker or disappointment for most. Just about the biggest PITA for me has been tethering (I have an EVO on Sprint alongside the iPhone) the internet and then getting a phone call. This can be quite annoying, and I will say it would have been nice to have the net alongside that call just so I didn't have to lose and reconnect to my data stream later.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    If you truly believe that android won't suffer from one of their major sellers getting the iPhone then I can see where you may find it laughable. However, the iPhone will outsell Android on Verizons network.
    I don't see how anyone can dream to say this with any certainty ("this" being the fact that iPhone will outsell Verizon's android devices). Android "suffering" depends on how you look at it, really. Will they sell fewer handsets with iPhone being a player on the network? I can say this is almost absolutely the case. Will they have huge losses overall? That depends, really. I think the current viewpoint is that people on Verizon that use an Android phone are simply using that phone because they cannot have the iPhone 4. While I am sure there are some in that boat, I think the numbers are far fewer than what most are lead to believe. In fact, in other forums I frequent, there are plenty of people who don't want to pay an ETA on ATT that are "stuck" on iPhone because ATT doesn't have a single decent Android device on their network. They'd be happy to switch to android, but are unwilling to pick up a laggy handset that has all but been abandoned by the manufacturer.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-08-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if we buy a CDMA iPhone outright if we will be able to activate it on Cricket, Metro PCS, Page Plus, or Boost Mobile? I'm sure Sprint will not allow this to be activated buy you know know. I don't think T-Mobile cares if you use an iPhone on their network, in fact don't they try and support them for their customers?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Let Verizon have the iPhone, get hammered on bandwidth while AT&T's gets better, then have the rumors put to rest. That's all I ask! Is it too much?

Everyone should get an iPhone anyway, now that they've got Android on the iPhone as a dual-boot option (2G, 3GS) there's no need to buy a phone with Android
    Last edited by steve-z17; 01-08-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks

I took it to mean Android will be in trouble......... Hmm sorry if you did not mean that, I guess I didn't see a reason for the comment in the first place? Android use has dramatically increased in the last 4 months with the newer phones like the Captivate, I see Apple as the ones running to keep the market share they are quickly loosing.............

So sorry
    I made the comment, originally, simply because of everywhere I read on these forums people are saying Android will be screwed once Verizon gets the iPhone. I was simply stating that I seem to be in the minority thinking that Android will NOT fail but, rather, continue to grow.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    What about India? India has some large CDMA networks (Reliance, Tata Indicom) would the Verizon iPhone work on those networks after ultrasn0w unlock?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    I wonder if we buy a CDMA iPhone outright if we will be able to activate it on Cricket, Metro PCS, Page Plus, or Boost Mobile? I'm sure Sprint will not allow this to be activated buy you know know. I don't think T-Mobile cares if you use an iPhone on their network, in fact don't they try and support them for their customers?
    Sprint is going to be stupid and say no. To my knowledge, all CDMA phones sold by VZW and Sprint need to be tinkered with in order to get them onto providers like cricket. IMO there is no reason to think otherwise for this rumored phone. Both Verizon and Sprint only allow phones that contain "their" ESN to activate on the network. As far as I know, the technology doesn't prohibit it, it is the networks that do. TMO is great about allowing phones not originally sold on their networks to run on them (so is ATT). Seems like CDMA network providers are more closed minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Xanax View Post
    What about India? India has some large CDMA networks (Reliance, Tata Indicom) would the Verizon iPhone work on those networks after ultrasn0w unlock?
    The unlock may be called ultrasnow, but I can almost guarantee there will need to be a CDMA specific unlock (ir the current unlock wound;t do anything for you).
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-08-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Whoa, Whoa, whoa!! Hold your horses everybody! A story about a possible Verizon iPhone ( I don't believe it ) , and Messany didn't write it???!?!?!!? I'm gonna El Oh El if it really happens ( which I don't believe it is ), and Messany dropped the ball on this story!! LOL, LMFAO, ROFL, HAR HAR.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'll laugh when they're on that stage and they unveil Windows Phone for Verizon

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    Whoa, Whoa, whoa!! Hold your horses everybody! A story about a possible Verizon iPhone ( I don't believe it ) , and Messany didn't write it???!?!?!!? I'm gonna El Oh El if it really happens ( which I don't believe it is ), and Messany dropped the ball on this story!! LOL, LMFAO, ROFL, HAR HAR.
    Yeah we've already heard this...it's getting old. If you don't like what Messany writes then don't read it...the bashing is lame.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Volerikan View Post
    I'll laugh when they're on that stage and they unveil Windows Phone for Verizon
    They don't have Windows Phone on Verizon yet?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default hah
    my opinion:

-the announcement will have nothing to do with apple
    -the announcement will be a LTE android handset, windows phone 7 on verizon, or something else entirely just to build up further hype for the verizon iphone...look at us all talking about it.
    -apple is notorious for doing their own product announcements, they aren't just going to let verizon take over
    -"not a new product, its an iphone 4", you say; iphone on verizon is a new product, they have to incorporate the cdma technology and due to the size of cdma chips would have to change the form factor of the phone.
    -the iphone will come to verizon. just not yet.
    -the new iphone announcing this summer will use Qualcomms new dual technology chip (which apple has bought hundreds of thousands of) to serve both the cdma and gsm networks. (potentially in ipad 2 as well?)
    -the new iphone will not be LTE. apple has never been a guinea pig. they waited for 3g to mature before they incorporated it and they'll do the same for LTE.
    -nobody here seems to have checked the securities and exchange commission sites for the different forms companies are required to file...with lots of 'inside' information that is public and nobody reads
    -apple has consistently released products that 'change' the world, why can't employee vacation blackout be attributed to this years new product? or the ipad 2 that is supposedly beginning to ship from asia to the US.
    -also, i refuse to believe analyst and news organization reports that have all been wrong 3 years running. until the official NASDAQ analyst for one of the specific companies writes a report, i think its all hogwash.
    -also, as far as iOS outselling android...i dont think that will ever happen. there are too many android handsets available with incentives like getting it for free. android will become the windows version of mobile OS's; and iOS will be just as Mac-OS is in the personal computing world.

anyway, that's just a few points i have/my two cents. please hammer me back, i'd like to hear some counterargument to enlighten my opinion.
    Last edited by 3p33n; 01-08-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet the day after a cdma verizon iphone is announced, Messany will post a rumor about a sprint iphone....lol
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I work for AT&T and i can't wait for the CDMA iphone to launch on th amazing VZ network. I am anxious to see all the complaints about not being able to do anything on the phone while on the phone.
    iPhone 4 would be pointless because the only way to any kind of video call would be on wifi only.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    I bet the day after a cdma verizon iphone is announced, Messany will post a rumor about a sprint iphone....lol
    lol ya or T-Mobile iPhone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    They don't have Windows Phone on Verizon yet?
    I didn;t think of this, but they don't. Not until summer I believe. For now the windows phones is pretty much an ATT thing as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by akosko01 View Post
    I work for AT&T and i can't wait for the CDMA iphone to launch on th amazing VZ network. I am anxious to see all the complaints about not being able to do anything on the phone while on the phone.
    iPhone 4 would be pointless because the only way to any kind of video call would be on wifi only.
    Why would you only be able to do a video call on wifi? All it takes is a simple app to block incoming calls (push them to voicemail) while you are on a video call via facetime. A couple extra steps of software perhaps, but not hard to implement.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-09-2011 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

+ Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast