+ Reply
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Announcement at 11am, 1/11/11

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I am still baffled that Apple hates Gizmodo since they leaked the iPhone4 yet they are going to partner with Verizon after not only a year ago they made a
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I am still baffled that Apple hates Gizmodo since they leaked the iPhone4 yet they are going to partner with Verizon after not only a year ago they made a strong partnership with Google to compete against the iPhone.

Thanks

Rumors are rumors pretty sure pricing won't be any different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    I am still baffled that Apple hates Gizmodo since they leaked the iPhone4 yet they are going to partner with Verizon after not only a year ago they made a strong partnership with Google to compete against the iPhone.
    While you make a good point, the iPad is already on Verizon's network. When that was first announced, alarms went off for me considering there was tension between the companies after verizon execs publicly bashed the iphone. With the ipad already on verizon's network, it only makes sense for the iphone to follow. From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. Inclusion of the iphone means more business for apple and verizon, a win win. Of course im pointing out the obvious.

Im very curious to see how things turn out. If we can all remember sentiment towards AT&T before the iphone, the majority of customers were pleased with their service and it was considered very reliable. Now however, its a much different story with the network being overcrowded. At&T had no way of foreseeing how popular the iphone would be or how much data they would eventually use. Verizon seems very confident in its network and its ability to accommodate a lot more traffic, but then again didn't Troy feel the same way about it's wall? I don't think anyone can accurately predict how the network will react to a sudden onslaught of new subscribers wielding one of the largest data consuming phones currently on the market. I believe the statistic was that iphones use roughly 5x more data than a blackberry on average. Toni Sacconaghi predicts the verizon iphone could bring as many as 10 million new users. If both of these numbers are correct, thats equivalent to 50 million new blackberry users which is more than 50% of all current verizon subscribers and an even higher percentage of verizon smartphone users. If enough new iphone users are in the same area, big red's network is likely to be crippled. I'm interested to see not only how it handles the new traffic, but if it is plagued by overcrowding as was AT&T, how customers will react. I'm equally interested to see if Verizon shifts to a tiered data plan shortly after the iphones realease and if so how that shift could effect numbers of new subscribers.
    Last edited by 04blkoutstng; 01-08-2011 at 12:10 AM.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm ready for the competition to begin. Even though I'm grandfathered in.... I believe everyone else should get the same rates that I'm getting instead of being raped by AT&T!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
    Nice!! It must be the new iPhone11.
    Haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    I'm ready for the competition to begin. Even though I'm grandfathered in.... I believe everyone else should get the same rates that I'm getting instead of being raped by AT&T!!!
    I pay less on AT&T than I would if I was on Verizon...so I don't know what you're talking about.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well , this is whats really going on..! Verizon is going GSM ... This from a valid source in the company. They have been on this for a year now...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thats weird. CNN just said something about Verizon getting the iPhone. Dunno if thats credible. Meh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ddog22000 View Post
    Well , this is whats really going on..! Verizon is going GSM ... This from a valid source in the company. They have been on this for a year now...
    lol its called LTE and both Verizon (now) and AT&T (summer '11) will be using it on a major scale by the end of this year. Its not GSM or CDMA.

So probably starting with the iPhone 5 (maybe 6) this summer, they will only need to produce one version of the iPhone and it will compatible with both VZW and AT&T. That's why, from a cost/production standpoint, this CDMA iPhone makes no sense. They alter production and spend huge amounts of money for a phone they're going to replace in 6 months of less. Although Apple is pretty slow at adopting new technology so we may not see an LTE iPhone till 2012. But that would put Apple WAY behind the smartphone curve so who knows. In any case I don't understand why they'd release a CDMA now. Wait and release the LTE in June that's compatible with both networks.

But Apple tends to know what they're doing lol

Quote Originally Posted by BboyAirrick View Post
    Thats weird. CNN just said something about Verizon getting the iPhone. Dunno if thats credible. Meh
    All the news outlets are just running with the WSJ article. There isn't any new or "breaking" news that CNN has. Its gonna make the media outlet rounds but its the same stuff WSJ is reporting.
    Last edited by jdm.accord; 01-08-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks

I bet the big announcement is that Verizon is being bought out by ATT.... [/sarcasm]

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I seem to be one of the only ones who doesn't think Android will fall flat on its *** after this announcement (assuming that it's more than just a rumor... again). Ah well, guess we will have to wait and see.
    AT&T is supposed to introduce a line up of 10-14 different Android phones so there may be some hope yet for the droids. I am going to e checking them all out when they launch. Android is gaining, in its usability, with every release and if I can switch to a droid and keep my unlimited data then I won't rule out getting rid of my iPhone one day.

Thanks

Rip iPod touch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 839 Posts

I bet even after Verizon announces the iPhone there'll still be people here saying it won't happen.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I bet even after Verizon announces the iPhone there'll still be people here saying it won't happen.
    Yeah probably.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I bet the front page will still have rumors of it too. Lol. What else are we going to do with all the free time?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BboyAirrick View Post
    Go back to "CNN said..." and that answers your question.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Go back to "CNN said..." and that answers your question.
    The Fox News ticker said something about the WSJ report too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mentioned on MSNBC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    The Fox News ticker said something about the WSJ report too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mentioned on MSNBC.
    It was a semi-serious joke.

Twitter: @tshoults

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 04blkoutstng View Post
    While you make a good point, the iPad is already on Verizon's network. When that was first announced, alarms went off for me considering there was tension between the companies after verizon execs publicly bashed the iphone.
    While I'd agree with you that it's a good sign of relations between the companies, I'd also point out that the iPad is NOT available on Verizon's network. WiFi-only iPads are being sold in Verizon stores with Verizon WiFi hotspots. It's not until the iPad 2 that we'll actually have native CDMA iPads running on Verizon's network.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    So probably starting with the iPhone 5 (maybe 6) this summer, they will only need to produce one version of the iPhone and it will compatible with both VZW and AT&T. That's why, from a cost/production standpoint, this CDMA iPhone makes no sense. They alter production and spend huge amounts of money for a phone they're going to replace in 6 months of less.
    This is what always bugged me about the January rumor too. I guess they figure they can still sell the phones at a 200-300% margin, and that every day they're AT&T exclusive in the US is another day they loose market share. If they're able to do it now, *shrug* go ahead. It also gives them practice implementing CDMA for when they try to eventually integrate it. I'm actually kind of surprised that rumors put the iPad 2 at 3 different models, WiFi, UMTS, and CDMA. Maybe they'll figure it out by this summer.

Thanks

The CDMA iPhone is gonna be a bit of a disappointment to Verizon customers as they still won't be able to talk & surf simultaneously until LTE. (this will NOT be an LTE iPhone because Jobs would definitely reveal that one- maybe later this year.)

Personally, as an AT&T customer, I am happy if they finally get it. All the rumors and waiting was really old. I'll be sticking with AT&T so hopefully enough gophers will jump ship to ease the network a bit til mid year when LTE is rolled out on AT&T. I already have a data card that is LTE capable.