Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Massive Failure:" Mac App Store Titles Easily Pirated

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

This is good news...

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

When there is software, there will be pirates. The only thing you can do about it is make it harder to pirate, which Apple has failed to do
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STRAYunINFIDEL View Post
    Your happy why? 5 bucks and you can't get that. How can you even afford a Mac.
    lol, It's not about the money. As was posted earlier. True, he should have said that. His ego got in the way. But to explain better, you could not have bought the time and knowledge to have the app without paying. I think the knowledge of the workaround was worth more than having the app for free. I bet if the workaround was sold for $10, it probably would have been bought. Not to condone piracy, I will probably look at the workaround just for the purpose of knowing and understanding that much more about the world of software.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mookest For This Useful Post:

jasvncnt10 (01-10-2011), Xenthis (01-07-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Why couldn't the App Store app check your installed apps against your Apple ID account purchases. Not saying you would need to be online to use apps, but even if there was a check once a week or something.Dunno how this would account for apps installed via disc or third party websites, but that also can come from the App Store
    Wow. Really. I lost about $100 worth of songs when my iPod died on me... And don't tell me to sync more, I am lazy.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

I paid $5 for Angry Birds, and all the apps on my phone are legit and paid for. What's the big deal? If you don't pay for apps, they won't make apps (not talking about Adobe or Microsoft, where they trot out a new iteration every year and charge $500+ for it). The little devs deserve the money (not that the devs of Angry Birds are little anymore ). Anyone too cheap to pay for a $.99 app when they are paying $99 a month for an iPhone is a cheap thief in my book. I'm a jailbreaker, not a thief.

As to the new store, I don't see it as being all that exciting. Much of it seems useless and overpriced. I'm waiting for the Cydia version to open, then we'll hopefully see some interesting tweaks and mods.
    Senior

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

What I hate is that it admin protects and downloads them to the Applications folder

There are so many applications already in that folder from apple

You will never find your app plus it install it onto the Dock which is extremely annoying especially when you have dock lock on through Terminal code cause I'm always accidentally pulling stuff off of my dock

Make a folder on the Desktop Call it AppStore or whatever Apple dangit

At this point you can move your games around to a different folder or whatever but the problem would be when updates come out the AppStore might think you delete the app and never tell you that there is an update idk at this point

Uh... the Mac OS really wants apps where they belong. If you move them, updates won't find them because they are in the wrong place. This has been the case since 10.0. OS 9 and earlier didn't really care where anything was, but 10 is quite demanding.

I have no issues with the store, except, as I already stated, it seems a bit overpriced and the apps don't hold much interest for me.

As to pulling things off the dock by accident.....

Ya know, you can make a folder of app alias's (just create a new folder in Applications and then put your selected apps in it, then pull into the dock) and open from it. I do that just to speed things up for lesser-used apps. Pretty simple to do.
    Senior

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

That's true I forgot about creating shortcuts from the applications folder to another folder but think about how hard it will eventually become to find the main apple Apps in the applications folder like Utilities and such

Quote Originally Posted by name00 View Post
    thats how i got Angry Birds on my Mac without paying 5 bucks
    Really? I guess posers like you have to save so long before you buy a mac that you can't afford any software. I hope you get robbed at gunpoint. Maybe then you'll realize what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Uh... the Mac OS really wants apps where they belong. If you move them, updates won't find them because they are in the wrong place. This has been the case since 10.0. OS 9 and earlier didn't really care where anything was, but 10 is quite demanding.

I have no issues with the store, except, as I already stated, it seems a bit overpriced and the apps don't hold much interest for me.

As to pulling things off the dock by accident.....

Ya know, you can make a folder of app alias's (just create a new folder in Applications and then put your selected apps in it, then pull into the dock) and open from it. I do that just to speed things up for lesser-used apps. Pretty simple to do.
    I moved angry birds to my games folder and it updated yesterday. *callsBS*

As for most apps being to much money, many of those apps have become discounted. PIxelmator is 50% and exclusivly in the app store. Welcome to the world of high quility applications.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 01-08-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Twitter: @tshoults

who needs the app store to pirate software anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    Wonder how many people did this after reading this thread
    Alot!!! Speaking upon the matter spread it lik wildfire! If u didn't want to add to the "whatever u wanna call it," then u shouldnt have written a column about it! U add to the mayhem jus lik posting about jb exploits! It's all sum1s hard wrk at the end of the day! For sum it's money, for sum it the effort! Don't try to exclude urself from the mess while writing the post cuz u jus look dumb! We were bettr off not knowing! #BackwrdsJournalism
    -Mr. 318!!-

iPhone? More like MyPhone Saved0ne's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    this will happen regardless of the security implemented sooner or later. look at the trackers for the iphone, you can get any app for free and if you pay for them, a simple click will crack them and anyone can install them on their device. so it was a matter of time, although it was quite too easy this time
    Very true!

this is just like Apple. Here is there business plan:

1) Release epic fail
    2) Fix it as slowly as possble for a bajillion dollar company.
    3) Then, at the next event, complement themselves on how much they've grown.

Quote Originally Posted by thacarta1 View Post
    Alot!!! Speaking upon the matter spread it lik wildfire! If u didn't want to add to the "whatever u wanna call it," then u shouldnt have written a column about it! U add to the mayhem jus lik posting about jb exploits! It's all sum1s hard wrk at the end of the day! For sum it's money, for sum it the effort! Don't try to exclude urself from the mess while writing the post cuz u jus look dumb! We were bettr off not knowing! #BackwrdsJournalism
    good point.
    Last edited by TheJailbreakGenius; 01-09-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Apple hasn't released too many "epic fails." I don't think all the Consumer Reports bs and all the negative press means much of anything when it comes to the actual products. It's sold a kajillion iPhones, and they keep flying out the door. The iPad is an enormous success. Apple's computers sell very well. Is Apple's stuff overpriced? Well, compared to Windows stuff, maybe, but I don't mind paying more for what I perceive to be a better product.

As a consumer, I make my choices based on a number of parameters, including my previous experience with the company's products. I've never has a "fail" from Apple, the worst I've had is a couple of worn-out HDs and a display failure they fixed for free. That's over more than ten years of using Apple products.

As to moving slowly, show me any major corporation that can turn on a dime. There are levels upon level of company strata, and no one person who just says, "do this now!" Not Apple, not Dell, not Ford, not G.E., not any of them.

Every company puts forward its best face and says, "look how much we've improved out product." That's called PR. Hell, you screw up and then do better, YOU do the same thing. Why hold a company to a different standard than that which you hold yourself to?

Oh, and I agree, writing about the ease of cracking is probably a big mistake. This site should be about modding, not cracking.
    Senior

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by name00 View Post
    thats how i got Angry Birds on my Mac without paying 5 bucks
    GTFO!

Lazy programming...Apple should have spent more time on the Mac App Store's security.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Mods warn us not to talk about piracy or we'll get banned, then the Staff Writers post this...
    Why do people sometimes act like idiots? MMi does not condone piracy. Links and downloads to warez and discussing about piracy (asking where to find warez, etc.) is against these rules, but news about piracy is a different story. Also, admitting to piracy is also against the forum rules and Terms of Service.
    Last edited by awesomeSlayer; 01-09-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Well that sucks

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

No No we all have not. That is the same argument that we heard as teenagers "everyone is doing it" whether that refers to sex or drugs etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    if we are not allowed to talk about pirating then don't post articles regarding it. For many reasons, I don't feel bad for millionaires, likewise I don't feel bad about this neither. I already knew this was going to happen a long time ago.
    Why would anyone feel bad for millionaires???
    But if I was a millionaire or maybe even a thousandaire I would still be pissed that someone was stealing my work! Ultimately it is my decision when I want to stop being paid for my work or take less money ala Steve Jobs
    Last edited by Dranon; 01-09-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Some people can be so pathetic... As someone said before it's NEWS about piracy and some bad programming from apples side.. That's it.. But instead, we get 40,000 complaints about how one guy admitted hit just ripped software.. Your ******** isn't going to solve a thing..

Millionaires are people, too. Maybe the money is not making them happy. Just like someone who gets cosmetic surgery, the underlying issues are always going to be there. We can all desire their lifestyles, but until you walk in someone's shoes...

As to "I already knew this was going to happen a long time ago," nah, too easy.
    Senior

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast