+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Massive Failure:" Mac App Store Titles Easily Pirated

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 Mods warn us not to talk about piracy or we'll get banned, then the Staff Writers post this... Apples and oranges. Mind the pun.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Mods warn us not to talk about piracy or we'll get banned, then the Staff Writers post this...
    Apples and oranges.
    Mind the pun.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    Wonder how many people did this after reading this thread

While I don't pirate app store apps, I didn't know about this until I read it on MMI.... so lol now i know, and an easy search i would be able to do it.

inb4 "omg i hope you become poor and people pirate your food"

I'm not going to pirate, i'm done with that lol, i even buy.... wait for it..... wait for it... Music... omg.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gthugballin For This Useful Post:

spazturtle (01-07-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder how many people complaining about pirating have ever downloaded a song that they didn't pay for or snuck into a movie theater. I'm not saying pirating is right, but I think we have all stollen something in one way or another.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,170 Posts

The fact that the Appstore is way low on security is legit news

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    I'll have to disagree, it might be just me, but this goes against MMi views on piracy.

Thanks

Got so much free stuff

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

my predictions were right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacMan24 View Post
    Got so much free stuff
    lol someone made a new name just to get banned.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

if we are not allowed to talk about pirating then don't post articles regarding it. For many reasons, I don't feel bad for millionaires, likewise I don't feel bad about this neither. I already knew this was going to happen a long time ago.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    Very certain, but I think there is no need on describing the "how to"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post
    news emerged that you could get around the copy protection on some apps by exchanging the receipt and signature files with ones from a free app.
    plaintext data external to the binary itself, located in the Info.plist file. Christmann noted that the "pastebin" workaround not only allowed users to defeat the admittedly-lax security on Angry Birds, but also another paid app he had copied from a friend's computer

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll have to disagree, it might be just me, but this goes against MMi views on piracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum rules
    WAREZ

We do not allow any warez on our boards. Warez includes cracked programs that are supposed to be paid for, bios files for game emulators, games that you have to buy like NES roms, and illegal software.

Warez posts will be removed as well as the posting user. Do NOT beg for warez on our forums.
    thats pretty clear, dont offer or ask for pirated software, but nothing about discussing pirating and security itself

Thanks

I thought it would just work the same as iTunes. But then again, Apple removed the DRM off songs.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

MMI just doesn't want people saying how much stuff they pirate or that you do pirate on the forums, you can go somewhere else to do that.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 01-07-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly. no matter how difficult it is to do, people will still get around it. I am neither shocked, nor am I necessarily worried. The people that pirate wouldn't have bought the app anyway, so it probably isn't much real money loss.

Quote Originally Posted by McMichael96 View Post
    Oh, So I guess the dev of Angry Birds just lost $5 because of you... So he(or she ) spent all that time making an AWESOME app just for you to pirate it?... Hmmm. I hope you become a dev one day and NEVER get paid for it because people pirate your apps...
    Rovio makes millions a month off that app. I am not condoning piracy, but I doubt they are hurting...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-07-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I agree. I'd guess the vast majority of people with unpaid-for apps wouldn't have purchased them anyways. Sometimes it's just 'cause I can.'

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This lazy programming on the part of some devs. Had they followed proper proceadure in validating receipts we wouldn't see this issue, and this is why aren't seeing this issue with many other paid apps. The interwebs have been so quick to coin this as a massive security failure on the part of Apple when the exact opposite is in fact the case. There are a reasons for guidelines as far as DRM is concerned. I really love that people are so quick to jump on Apple's overly-restrictive DRM practices in regards to iTunes, it's also lovely to see the same people who ***** about the iOS App Store's overly restrictive policies in regards to App-approval. So what does Apple do, they loosen things up on the Mac end and give more responsibility to the developer and people cry about that geesh. Since when was it the OS maker's responsibility to create, implement and strictly regulate DRM at the application on desktop platforms. Seriously that has always been the responsibility of 3rd party devs, Hell apple has gone above and beyond by providing recommendations and procedures to secure their apps against pirating. If certain devs choose to either not follow those protocols or develop their own solution they have it coming IMO. I mean seriously what do people want, next thing ya know they'll want a closed platform, requiring a jailbreak, on your desktop!!! Nothing is ever enough for the haters, no matter what apple does it will always be an uber-fail in their eyes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Volerikan View Post
    Guess I should think twice before I build anything for the App store
    +1 for that if you want to get paid

Quote Originally Posted by name00 View Post
    thats how i got Angry Birds on my Mac without paying 5 bucks
    +1 douche

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Mods warn us not to talk about piracy or we'll get banned, then the Staff Writers post this...
    {dale2 quotes the actual forum rules}
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    thats pretty clear, dont offer or ask for pirated software, but nothing about discussing pirating and security itself
    +1 - thanks! I was starting to get a little annoyed with people not knowing the difference between using MMi to actually pirate (which is against the rules) and discussing the issues surrounding piracy. There are a number of devs who read MMi and this could be useful info to them either on why they shouldn't use the App Store or maybe how to implement their own DRM if they don't want to wait for Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    Shouldn't this and the other article about the Mac app store be in the Mac news section instead of the iPhone news section? Or am I missing something?
    +1 - wait -- there's non-iPhone content here???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by name00 View Post
    thats how i got Angry Birds on my Mac without paying 5 bucks
    Your happy why? 5 bucks and you can't get that. How can you even afford a Mac.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    Very certain, but I think there is no need on describing the "how to"
    +1

Thanks

Programmers shouldn't take shortcuts to get their app out quicker and I'm assuming that's what these people did. Also, I don't see how the writers are condoning piracy they're just reporting that a lot of security issues are going around with the Mac App Store. Although he did go into a quite a bit of detail on how people are pirating, so who knows what the intentions were... Hahaha