+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac App Store Uses New DRM Code from 10.6.6

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Several glitches marred the Mac App Store's launch today, with some errors seemingly related to the way that Mac OS X 10.6.6 deals with non-native partitions , and others likely
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mac App Store Uses New DRM Code from 10.6.6

Several glitches marred the Mac App Store's launch today, with some errors seemingly related to the way that Mac OS X 10.6.6 deals with non-native partitions, and others likely just launch-day bugs. And while the problems could certainly be related to an unexpected surge of passionate interest in a $5 Angry Birds for the Mac, it could also have to do with what appears to be a significant restructuring of how Mac OS X handles DRM.

Mac OS X 10.6.6 includes a new Objective-C framework: CommerceKit. If you don't have CommerceKit.framework and the updated Security.framework on, say, a hackintoshed Dell Mini 10v, the App Store won't run, causing an error about a missing helper application. With those two frameworks, the App Store will launch, but won't allow downloads: other frameworks control that. What seems afoot here, though, is that apps bought on the Mac App Store will need to be validated with CommerceKit, similar to the digital rights management on other online marketplaces like Steam.

It's interesting that the App Store app itself seems to be nothing more than a front-end to the iTunes Store. Web previews to Mac apps are located on itunes.apple.com, just like iOS apps; there's just a "View in Mac App Store" link where the "View in iTunes" link would be on a song or iOS app preview page.

Whether the dire warnings of some digital rights proponents - that Mac OS X is headed for the same walled garden fate as iOS - come to pass is something that will remain to be seen. However, it'll be interesting if the protections Apple has implemented to protect downloaded apps do eventually migrate over to the music and iOS app side of the store.

Source: CNET

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Funked (01-06-2011), Lewisloon (04-11-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mm.. I love apple anyway

Thanks

deleted

no warez on mmi
    Last edited by Simon; 01-06-2011 at 05:49 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm glad they have new drm, people that pirate apps piss me off. The devs are just trying to make a living. People cry about an app that cost .99 but apple gets 30% of that so the devs don't get left with much. Then people steal the apps. I'm surprised there are any iPhone devs at all

Quote Originally Posted by chuk12chuk View Post
    when can i get cracks for the mack app store >
    I hope you get banned.
    Last edited by Rob2G; 01-06-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (01-07-2011), elfboyz (01-06-2011), Mac os lion (01-06-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    I'm glad they have new drm, people that pirate apps piss me off. The devs are just trying to make a living. People cry about an app that cost .99 but apple gets 30% of that so the devs don't get left with much. Then people steal the apps. I'm surprised there are any iPhone devs at all
    Saying that developers aren't left with much after Apple takes their 30% is totally off base. Let's use some simple math: Most apps sell for $.99. If a developer were to sell it all on their own, without Apple getting in the way, they would get 100% of that $.99. But they need to process the transaction, that's going to cost them at LEAST $.50 (I worked in the credit card processing industry for years, so I know my numbers). This leaves them with $.49, or just under 50% of their revenue. Obviously, having the Apple store sell it for them where they don't have to worry about processing the transaction is a better deal. Now, the higher the cost of the app, the less this becomes the case, but there are still a lot of other factors that are decidedly harder to measure. What about the promotion that comes from having an app in the app store? Many people have sold more apps through the app store than they would have on their own because of the intrinsic viral marketing of the app store. So, I'm not saying it's ALWAYS in the best interests of developers to sell in the app store, I'm just saying that Apple has created a great marketplace for developers to sell their products and it really is a win-win scenario.

Thanks

I hope you get banned.
    I don't care what you hope.

Thanks

So there were a few bugs on launch day; nothing new. I think that was to be expected and should be expected with the launch of anything from Apple.

And the overwhelming popularity of Angry Birds!?!?!? I didn't see this one coming.... [/sarcasm]

Thanks

seriously that's kinda f@ggish on your part.....cracked apps it's only a buck. you already have a +$1,000 Apple product what's a dollar? he's right for wanting you banned. BUT about the post....problems are inevitable it's bearly the first day...i thought it was pretty awesome. What happened to Cydia on Mac?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chi_towner1 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (01-06-2011), Rob2G (01-06-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

They get 70%, and as stevelucky explained, 9 times outta 10 it's significantly better for the dev compared to if there was no app store and you had to search for apps yourself and download them via safari and third party sites.

Considering that such a small percentage of iPhone/iPod Touch owners are jailbroken (about 10% I think), piracy isn't as big a deal on iOS yet. So there are plenty devs making tons of cash and only more devs jump on board every day.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    Saying that developers aren't left with much after Apple takes their 30% is totally off base. Let's use some simple math: Most apps sell for $.99. If a developer were to sell it all on their own, without Apple getting in the way, they would get 100% of that $.99. But they need to process the transaction, that's going to cost them at LEAST $.50 (I worked in the credit card processing industry for years, so I know my numbers). This leaves them with $.49, or just under 50% of their revenue. Obviously, having the Apple store sell it for them where they don't have to worry about processing the transaction is a better deal. Now, the higher the cost of the app, the less this becomes the case, but there are still a lot of other factors that are decidedly harder to measure. What about the promotion that comes from having an app in the app store? Many people have sold more apps through the app store than they would have on their own because of the intrinsic viral marketing of the app store. So, I'm not saying it's ALWAYS in the best interests of developers to sell in the app store, I'm just saying that Apple has created a great marketplace for developers to sell their products and it really is a win-win scenario.
    Actually, depending on the processing, this isn't correct, in most cases you can use Google Checkout, Paypal or Amazon Payments, each of which take about 1%-2%, which would mean that they take $.09-$.18

Now what the App Store has going for it is the fact that it provides better visibility for your App, so you may sell more there than through other channels.

What I do when buying software is find what I want, then use Google Products to find the best price. I am thinking it will be the same thing with the App Store.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    They get 70%, and as stevelucky explained, 9 times outta 10 it's significantly better for the dev compared to if there was no app store and you had to search for apps yourself and download them via safari and third party sites.

Considering that such a small percentage of iPhone/iPod Touch owners are jailbroken (about 10% I think), piracy isn't as big a deal on iOS yet. So there are plenty devs making tons of cash and only more devs jump on board every day.
    Not all people who jailbreak phones commit piracy and there are people who have found ways to allow people to install pirated software on non jailbroken phones, so that is not good either.

The problem is there are people who will pirate an app to try it, for example, I would never spend $50 on an app that I never tried (thinking about it, I wouldn't probably be interested in a $50 app though, but some might).

Honestly, Piracy hurts everyone, one way to stop it is if Apple offered a refund policy (say 14 days). They could provide checks to ensure that the app was removed from your phone.
    Last edited by cmwade77; 01-06-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

MMI has a zero toleralance for any discussions on cracked apps. So, take it seriously because the moderators will. You will be warned generally once and banned afterwards, so lose the attitude.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

holygamer22 (01-07-2011), staterunner180 (01-07-2011), thetoothfairy (01-06-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Actually, depending on the processing, this isn't correct, in most cases you can use Google Checkout, Paypal or Amazon Payments, each of which take about 1%-2%, which would mean that they take $.09-$.18

Honestly, Piracy hurts everyone, one way to stop it is if Apple offered a refund policy (say 14 days). They could provide checks to ensure that the app was removed from your phone.
    1. Check your math lol
    2. Theres always a work around so i doubt Apple would ever be that nice

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I found a bug in the Mac App Store: it says I have iWork '09 installed (from the disk) but it won't let me rate or review Pages, Numbers or Keynote.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Not all people who jailbreak phones commit piracy and there are people who have found ways to allow people to install pirated software on non jailbroken phones, so that is not good either.

The problem is there are people who will pirate an app to try it, for example, I would never spend $50 on an app that I never tried (thinking about it, I wouldn't probably be interested in a $50 app though, but some might).

I didn't mean to imply that everyone who jailbreaks also commits piracy. I would hope it's a very small percentage.

Your idea of a refund policy sounds good in theory but someones just gonna figure a way around it. Whenever I see a paid app that I might be interested in, I'll first check if its got a lite version, test it out and then buy the full version. If it doesn't, then chances are I'm not gonna part with my cash.
    That's what I don't like about the Mac App Store, didn't Apple release it's "guidelines" for Apps, and it said that trial or lite apps are not allowed?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

like someone said on an earlier post... you have a freaking $1000 dollar computer, and most likely a $500 phone as well (iphone 4) and some even an ipad (another 500) AND an ipod.... and you want to crack a 99 cent app?? WTF is wrong with you !!!! some people can be so cheap, but karma is a b!tch!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

That's too bad. But you really have no reason to attitude up. He was just posting the facts. Pirate anything is not good, for both the devs and the rest that pay.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuhndsn For This Useful Post:

Mac os lion (01-06-2011), Rob2G (01-06-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    That's too bad. But you really have no reason to attitude up. He was just posting the facts. Pirate anything is not good, for both the devs and the rest that pay.
    I totally agree. If you want to try an app, look for the lite version first. If there is none, and the app is expensive, you can pirate it. But if you don't end up deleting it, then pay the developer the money you owe them. If you don't, the developers can't make free updates to the app or have to put in ads.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mac os lion View Post
    I totally agree. If you want to try an app, look for the lite version first. If there is none, and the app is expensive, you can pirate it. But if you don't end up deleting it, then pay the developer the money you owe them. If you don't, the developers can't make free updates to the app or have to put in ads.
    WTF? There is no reason to ever pirate period! If they don't have a lite version don't buy it... or email them and kindly ask them if they are going to make one. Either buy it or go without it.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah but you don't want to get stuck with a $50 app that is useless. I don't like pirating but I don't want to waste my money on apps I don't want either.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mac os lion View Post
    Yeah but you don't want to get stuck with a $50 app that is useless. I don't like pirating but I don't want to waste my money on apps I don't want either.
    Then if you are unsure then don't buy it simple as that... that way you won't waste money or have a program you don't like. I am not made out of money myself and don't like it when I have boughten a app or program I don't like. Then I am stuck with it and wasted money but that is how it is. And the reason it is like this is the dev's know there are dishonest people... so whats good for one is good for all...
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 01-06-2011 at 07:10 PM.

"Always remember your special and unique!"