+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac App Store Uses New DRM Code from 10.6.6

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    i will most likely pirate some apps from the app store because i have paid for the iphone version, paid for the ipad version, all for under a total cost of 5 and then the mac app comes out that is 10 on its own. i think that the proper apps should be full price like pages and aperture, things like that, but games that cost 2.99 on the ipad should not cost 10 on the mac app store. one that i sooted is the enigmo 2 app.. if i buy it now i would have paid for it 3 different times on 3 different devices... anyway think that the ipad version should be included in the iphone download anyway.. anyway thats end of my rant...
    I already do this at brick and mortar stores. If they have a newer version of something I already have, I simply steal it. If I think their price is high for something I don't already have, I leave what I think it's worth on the shelf and walk out with the product.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

This is the last warning. Talk of pirating apps or stealing is against forum rules. It stops now. Anyone else talking of pirating a app will get a automatic infraction.

All of you are longtime members too and should know the rules by now...
    Last edited by Simon; 01-07-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

holygamer22 (01-07-2011), yentrog31 (01-07-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Back on topic: we're talking about the Mac app store and some bugs it had at launch.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I've noticed that Apps downloaded from the App Store have a blue "Installed" button on the apps page, but already installed Apps (i.e iLife from DVD) have a Grey "Installed" button.

I would like to be able to re-download iLife or iWork via the App Store in the future, should I do a reinstall of Mac OS X, or when Lion comes out I'll most definitely be doing a clean install. Apple could allow you to tie your iWork Key to your Apple ID, but iLife has no sorta key.

Green Apple
    Thanks

On my Hackintosh, I thought that Apple could of done something to not make it work on my system, because the app store wasn't letting me install anything.

It turns out that the App Store requires the latest iTunes. I only had iTunes 10 installed on it. Once I updated itunes, it worked perfectly.

zyb
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chi_towner1 View Post
    seriously that's kinda f@ggish on your part.....cracked apps it's only a buck. you already have a +$1,000 Apple product what's a dollar? he's right for wanting you banned. BUT about the post....problems are inevitable it's bearly the first day...i thought it was pretty awesome. What happened to Cydia on Mac?
    chi_towner1, you are quote obviously not happy with your own sexuality as you feel the need to insult *** people by using defamatory language. I don't like to referred to as a ******, with or without the @ symbol that you, rather childishly, assume absolved you of the insulting term you used.

It is you who should be banned from these forums for you lack of respect towards other members.

I don't care what you meant or how you meant it - you insulted me, and the *** population, and I will be reporting you to the forum moderators for this and requesting that you are, if nothing else, given a formal warning for your barbed insult.

Oh, and not everyone that reads these articles are mac fan bois that own macs worth $1000 and neither can you assume that just because you can afford that buck, so can everyone else!

Welcome to the REAL world.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zyb View Post
    chi_towner1, you are quote obviously not happy with your own sexuality
    That's actually quite a jump to make, but I guess people shouldn't use that word that way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mattoligy's Avatar
    Thanks

I Love Jailbreak apps, they make the iPhone so much better I just wish they were available on the app store, not only would it profit apple but it would also save them a lot of time and grief with the nightmare cat n mouse crap, giving them more time to combat piracy!

If iOS was open source the user would save money and apple would make there 30% and wipe out cydia!

No more strict as strict app store rules stopping apps like Stotify do what we currently need Extra apps to do(Music Controls) More devs on the app store also means better tweaks than currently availible on cydia!

I think you should just have to be connected to the net when first running an app for it to be registered! Look at Music Controls, it can't be hacked for precisely this reason, but app store apps can, a perfect example of Perfect security on an open source (Jailbroken) device!!

All apple are doing locking its users away from awesome tweaks and apps that modify system files etc is promoting jailbreaking, which then allow users to go one step further and pirate app store apps! Instead of taking away all our goodies to stop piracy, why dont they just Stop Piracy... Like Phoenix Does Perfectly Fine without locking the phone up as much as humanly possible, causing the total drama that is the jailbreak scene!!!!

Why can't apple work this out it's not hard... :-/
    Last edited by mattoligy; 01-07-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattoligy View Post
    I Love Jailbreak apps, they make the iPhone so much better I just wish they were available on the app store, not only would it profit apple but it would also save them a lot of time and grief with the nightmare cat n mouse crap, giving them more time to combat piracy! If iOS was open source...

The user would save money, for example, apps like spotify would include features that at the moment require
    [Jailbreak->cydia->music controls] apple would make there 30% and cydia would be wiped out by the app store!
    More devs on the app store means better tweaks than currently on cydia!

I think you should just have to be connected to the net when first running an app for it to be registered! Look at Music Controls, it can't be hacked for precisely this reason, but app store apps can, a perfect example of Perfect security on an open source (Jailbroken) device!! :-/

All apple are doing locking its users away from awesome tweaks and apps that modify system files etc are promoting jailbreaking, which then allow users to go one step further and pirate app store apps! Instead of taking away all our goodies to stop piracy, why dont they just Stop Piracy... Like Phoenix Does Perfectly Fine without locking the phone up as much as humanly possible, causing the total drama that is the jailbreak scene!!!!

Why can't apple work this out it's not hard...
    i do agree with you that the ios platform would 90% better if apple opened it up a bit and let devs do what they want to do but i can also see where apple is coming from,

lets say if someone makes a tweak, apple lets it into the app store, it contains a code that does something to the phone, people complain, the press gets a hold of it and blows it up into a massive bug that only a few thousand people our of a million people are getting and then apple need to call a press conference say they are sorry, give something away for free, it then goes quiet for a month, the following month, the same thing happens again but with another app...

seriously, i think cydia should stay cydia and app store stay app store. the people who jailbreak there devices get what they want out of there devices and the people who dont can complain or jailbreak, either way everyone stays happy, even if jailbreaks take a while to be released, you can either stay on the jailbreakable firmware or upgrade and be stuck
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EddieLeonard For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    i do agree with you that the ios platform would 90% better if apple opened it up a bit and let devs do what they want to do but i can also see where apple is coming from,

lets say if someone makes a tweak, apple lets it into the app store, it contains a code that does something to the phone, people complain, the press gets a hold of it and blows it up into a massive bug that only a few thousand people our of a million people are getting and then apple need to call a press conference say they are sorry, give something away for free, it then goes quiet for a month, the following month, the same thing happens again but with another app...

seriously, i think cydia should stay cydia and app store stay app store. the people who jailbreak there devices get what they want out of there devices and the people who dont can complain or jailbreak, either way everyone stays happy, even if jailbreaks take a while to be released, you can either stay on the jailbreakable firmware or upgrade and be stuck
    Well how about apple just ease up on there stupid rules that are Killing so many apps on the app store and allow tweaks via a 3rd party app availible via the app store (Like cydia) Cydia on the app store, why not!?

As long as they make sure paid apps work in the same way as Phoenixs Music Controls it wont matter that the iphone is now more unsecure, or even, open source!

And if tweaks are still installed via a 3rd party app it wont be apples fault if bugs come along, they just put a disclaimer on the Cydia app on the app store...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mattoligy For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

User on 7 day ban.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 01-07-2011 at 11:19 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 830 Posts

I thought the AppStore already used DRM. If they make it so that apps can only be run with an online connection, that would be devastating to iPod Touch owners, and it will cost iPhone owners to use network time.

And Whoa, this thread is falling apart fast. We need a Mod to come down with a heavy fist here, I think.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 01-07-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Something this article doesn't make very clear is how the ordinary user is affected. If you don't hack your Mac, are you fine? Is it only the people who have the hackintosh that are affected?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    I already do this at brick and mortar stores. If they have a newer version of something I already have, I simply steal it. If I think their price is high for something I don't already have, I leave what I think it's worth on the shelf and walk out with the product.
    +1 for sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by mattoligy View Post
    Well how about apple just ease up on there stupid rules that are Killing so many apps on the app store...

[RANT]For the love of all that is good, please study the use of 'there' and its homonyms. Then when you think you've got it, take the test.[/RANT]

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hbdragon88 View Post
    Something this article doesn't make very clear is how the ordinary user is affected. If you don't hack your Mac, are you fine? Is it only the people who have the hackintosh that are affected?
    I have a hackintosh and it works fine
    [SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Actually, depending on the processing, this isn't correct, in most cases you can use Google Checkout, Paypal or Amazon Payments, each of which take about 1%-2%, which would mean that they take $.09-$.18
    I hate to say it, but you're WAY off base on this one. I run a very successful business taking payments exclusively through PayPal and I can consistently count on losing 5% of my revenue to PayPal. The lowest Google Checkout rate is 1.9% + $.30 but that's only if you're doing $100 k or more per month. Most people will be right around 3% (2.9% to be exact). PayPal is identical as is Amazon Payments. So, on a $.99 transaction, the total percentage lost to processing fees is about 33%. Uh oh! It looks like the app store is a better deal after all, isn't it?

Thanks

One of the important things being left out of this discussion is hosting and bandwidth. Sure, Amazon, et al will gladly manage transactions for you, but where are people going to download your fine software from? Does Apple host the file, or provide pointers to it? If they sponsor the B/W, then ~30% cut is a good deal. Anyone know?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to quidam_brujah For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    I'm glad they have new drm, people that pirate apps piss me off. The devs are just trying to make a living. People cry about an app that cost .99 but apple gets 30% of that so the devs don't get left with much. Then people steal the apps. I'm surprised there are any iPhone devs at all.
    I completely agree with you. Some of these apps take a long time to make. I get mad when my friends won't buy apps for .99 cents or two dollars. Just don't go threw mcdonalds that day and your good
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to EskimoRuler For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    If they make it so that apps can only be run with an online connection, that would be devastating to iPod Touch owners, and it will cost iPhone owners to use network time.
    Just an online connection to register the app! Not every time you run the app!

Download any app, run it, connects to THEIR (apples) server, unlocks the app and that's that...

Edit: you have to be online to download the app in the first place so I don't see how it would be a problem to anyone
    Last edited by mattoligy; 01-10-2011 at 01:54 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help me download
    Delete

Help me

Help me install

Help me download
    Last edited by Lewisloon; 04-11-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123