+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T to Begin Selling iPhone 3GS for $49 This Friday

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you want a new iPhone 3GS for only $49, you no longer have to resort to a refurbished offering from Apple or wait for another week-long deal from Radio
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default AT&T to Begin Selling iPhone 3GS for $49 This Friday

If you want a new iPhone 3GS for only $49, you no longer have to resort to a refurbished offering from Apple or wait for another week-long deal from Radio Shack. Beginning this Friday, AT&T will start selling the iPhone 3GS for $49. The only catch? You need a new two-year service contract and data plan. AT&T will include iPhone 3GS devices sold through AT&T and Apple.

First released in 2009, the iPhone 3GS has sold for $99 by AT&T and Apple since the iPhone 4 was unveiled last June. The iPhone 3GS, however, still runs iOS4, although the software upgrade alone obviously can't deliver certainly functionalities incumbent upon the hardware attributes of the 4th generation Apple smartphone. Still, the move by AT&T represents a clear step toward the most competitive pricing plan even unveiled for a previous generation iPhone.

Late last month we reported that pre-paid Android devices that currently retail for as low as $180 will drop in price by half early in 2011. As a result, many began speculating if AT&T or Apple would somehow react to the looming industry-wide price reductions affecting countless smartphone brands and virtually every major player in the mobile phone space. Clearly, AT&T is gearing up for the anticipated price wars ahead while helping deplete the older inventory now occupying the space that will be needed to stock the new devices 2011 has in store.

Chicago Breaking Business

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011), soulthoughts (01-06-2011), turkey26 (01-06-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Clearly Apple is scared of that Dual Core Phone headed to At&t. Plus not mention At&t said It plans on releasing 20 new 4g Handsets this year which 12 of them will be Android devices.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SMokemyPole88 View Post
    Clearly Apple is scared of that Dual Core Phone headed to At&t. Plus not mention At&t said It plans on releasing 20 new 4g Handsets this year which 12 of them will be Android devices.
    I don't think Apple's "scared" of that. They'll roll the same business as they usually would, they just want to get their products out there while preparing for the latest iPhone edition.

Funny how Apple's still ahead in the market with One phone per year while Android puts out 15+

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

i like android, i like iphone. now that $49 would be nice without that 2 years contract, just saying. =P

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I don't think Apple's "scared" of that. They'll roll the same business as they usually would, they just want to get their products out there while preparing for the latest iPhone edition.

Funny how Apple's still ahead in the market with One phone per year while Android puts out 15+
    I agree that apple is not scared, they just wanna get rid of old inventory like every year.

Android does not come out with 15 devices, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc, they do come out with new devices and they just run android, it is not that android is putting the phones out to compete with iOS. so it is not 1 v/s 15, it is 1 brand v/s 5+ brands.

and I still can't decide what I like better. I have both iphone 4 and Galaxy S (android of course) and I think I like android better, but sometimes I like to go back to iphone for some reason
    Last edited by dq13; 01-06-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Hmm the price drop will help alot a people that wanted more mem but cant afford a 200+ dollar iphone
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I just think its weak how they try to make you think you're getting a smoking deal. "Wow 50 bucks for an iPhone! Score!" but then rape you with the data plan and insanely high priced plan. I'd much rather spend more up front for a phone and take a reduction on the contract. Say maybe a 1 year contract option or just cheaper service or something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post

well what you expect.... you cant get ios on any other device

Quote Originally Posted by Tfost View Post
    I just think its weak how they try to make you think you're getting a smoking deal. "Wow 50 bucks for an iPhone! Score!" but then rape you with the data plan and insanely high priced plan. I'd much rather spend more up front for a phone and take a reduction on the contract. Say maybe a 1 year contract option or just cheaper service or something
    I agree you end up paying over $500 minimum for what??? A 3G bloody s... thats not a rip off thats rape
    yep I wish 1 year contracts existed in the uk still....ahhh the good old days
    Last edited by marccarl21; 01-06-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

For people that know iPhone this is somewhat of a rip off, sure it's an iPhone for 50$ but you also need a 2-Year Plan with Data but how much longer you think 3Gs will be able to support the newer iOS Software Updates and still be a daily phone for you? Go ahead and get it but be prepared for an Early upgrade fee or termination Which is ONLY about 300$? With At&T, I'm 15 so this would be good deal for me then again maybe not......

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    I agree that apple is not scared, they just wanna get rid of old inventory like every year.

Android does not come out with 15 devices, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc, they do come out with new devices and they just run android, it is not that android is putting the phones out to compete with iOS. so it is not 1 v/s 15, it is 1 brand v/s 5+ brands.

and I still can't decide what I like better. I have both iphone 4 and Galaxy S (android of course) and I think I like android better, but sometimes I like to go back to iphone for some reason
    You go back to the iPhone because it's the right thing to do, just as Steve jobs.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post

That's what I meant, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by marccarl21 View Post
    well what you expect.... you cant get ios on any other device
    You can get it on the iPad
    Last edited by steve-z17; 01-06-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have to admit. I keep going back too. I had an iPhone 4, got curious about other phones, went to Sprint - Evo 4g, Verizon Droid X, then back to iPhone 4, then back to Sprint Evo, which I'm with now and I'm going back to iPhone 4 this weekend. IMHO it's the best phone I've ever used. It's really the iOS for me. Android is neat and very customizable, but the app store is crap in the game area and I really do understand why that is.. but entertainment is a high point for me, so I'm going to finalize with the iPhone 4 and be done with it until the next one comes out. Plus the number of 3rd party accessories made for the iPhone series is massive.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have all three os. Iphone4, android droid x and a windows 7 phone. I like the wp7 and use it more than my iphone4 and find I use the droid X even less.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

who cares about iphone 3gs? wake me up when apple makes a better phone than the crappy iphone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    who cares about iphone 3gs? wake me up when apple makes a better phone than the crappy iphone 4.
    A lot of people care about the 3gs it is a solid phone. Runs ios 4 very well and you dont drop half the calls.
    I have every gen of i phone right now i use my ip4 the most but every now and then i go back to the 3gs just for the feel

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (01-06-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    why does evry post have to end up with android in it.....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    A lot of people care about the 3gs it is a solid phone. Runs ios 4 very well and you dont drop half the calls.
    I have every gen of i phone right now i use my ip4 the most but every now and then i go back to the 3gs just for the feel
    i had every model too,but the iphone 4 will be my last one. and i gave it to my wife for an unlock euro galaxy tab, i dont't think i will ever buy anymore phone or ipad from apple ever.there are too many good phones & tablets coming from other company in the near future apple will have to do a lot more to get my money.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I never bought iPhone 4 just sticking to my 3GS. I don't wanna cut n shape my sim card as I use it with htc aria which I use more. Android is cool os if u really don't really care about games

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    i had every model too,but the iphone 4 will be my last one. and i gave it to my wife for an unlock euro galaxy tab, i dont't think i will ever buy anymore phone or ipad from apple ever.there are too many good phones & tablets coming from other company in the near future apple will have to do a lot more to get my money.
    Not to try and start an augment but i am curious what draws you to andoid and a way from apple?
    What does you galaxy tab do that the iphone or ipad cant?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    Not to try and start an augment but i am curious what draws you to andoid and a way from apple?
    What does you galaxy tab do that the iphone or ipad cant?
    good question mate.... for me I hated the fact that I paid outright for my ip4 just so a man in the u.s can tell what i can and cant with do with MY phone....