+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is This Apple's 5th Generation iPhone Prototype?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Nothing like a good "photo leak" to ramp up the iPhone rumor mill. Now that 2011 has arrived, there's only another six months or so until the 5th generation iPhone
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Is This Apple's 5th Generation iPhone Prototype?

Nothing like a good "photo leak" to ramp up the iPhone rumor mill.

Now that 2011 has arrived, there's only another six months or so until the 5th generation iPhone likely debuts. Does this mean the tech blogosphere will be buzzing with iPhone rumors, pics, and vids for the next 180 days? Unfortunately, there's a good chance the answer is yes. It's a process that they may have gotten underway today, as the "leaked photos" shared by SmartPhone Medic are reportedly those of Apple's 5th Generation iPhone (or possibly the long-awaited Verizon iPhone).

Here we have both images and video (each from different sources) showcasing the goods. The video comes courtesy of Global Parts Direct, a company that is clearly trying to promote itself while dishing on the alleged iPhone 5 prototype. SmartPhone Medic, on the other hand, is already a well-known and somewhat credible source for leaked iDevice info. As Apple Insider reminds us, last August SmartPhone Medic got its hands on a genuine front panel for the forthcoming but still top secret fourth-generation iPod touch.

The newest photos portray the next generation iPhone design, which suggests Apple has improved upon its flawed antenna design that resulted in the so-called "Death Grip" phenomenon. Additionally, the professed 5th generation iPhone frame reveals a retained spot for a micro-SIM card, the obvious implication of which hints at a long-awaited "world" phone design - both GSM and CDMA. While CDMA doesn't use a SIM card, Verizon's 4G network does. So if, in fact, this iPhone 5 panel is a legitimate prototype, it can clearly be deduced that Apple will be expanding its carrier relationships (likely in the US) with the release of the next generation handset.

Real or fake? You be the judge.

SmartPhone Medic
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 01-05-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks

Did someone find this in a bar too?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zoso10 For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (01-05-2011), elfboyz (01-05-2011), that_girl (01-05-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    Did someone find this in a bar too?
    hahaha, funny, then someone will want to buy it
    no spam

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Your wrong..it clearly has a mini sim slot on the side, if it was the "new verizon iphone" wouldnt it use cdma or whatever?? Verizon doesnt use sim cards....nice journalism though...

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow makes sense little death grip improvements, but just like 3G and 3GS they'll probably increase the RAM of the 5th generation iPhone, but keep the same look. I wish they would make iPhone 5h generation slimmer Apple should look up Google at some prototypes people have on there.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    Wow makes sense little death grip improvements, but just like 3G and 3GS they'll probably increase the RAM of the 5th generation iPhone, but keep the same look. I wish they would make iPhone 5h generation slimmer Apple should look up Google at some prototypes people have on there.
    I love how people ask for slimmer phones + more batter life Unfortunately these 2 don't come hand in hand. Now once apple capitalizes on the solar powered charging of phones I can see a slimmer phone and ultimately more room to slim down.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zinjen For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (01-05-2011), mw_w (01-11-2011), yelow13 (01-05-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So does that mean that if it's a legit part of the iPhone5, the video chat is going to be gone? Since the camera hole is missing!

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    I love how people ask for slimmer phones + more batter life Unfortunately these 2 don't come hand in hand. Now once apple capitalizes on the solar powered charging of phones I can see a slimmer phone and ultimately more room to slim down.

Regardless, in smartphones you'll always have complaints on battery drainage. Slimmer iPhone i would love to see and own one especially some of the proto's I saw on Google, if it has battery life of 3GS or 4G i'd be fine with that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

Wish this time they resolve the issue of a "white iphone"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toytbo88 View Post
    So does that mean that if it's a legit part of the iPhone5, the video chat is going to be gone? Since the camera hole is missing!
    How do you deduce that the camera hole is missing from those shots? There are no electronics or glass panels present in those pictures, so no camera hole WOULD be seen. And in the video you can CLEARLY see the front-facing camera.

And the SIM slot looks the same size to me ...
    Last edited by asmacumber; 01-05-2011 at 02:15 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asmacumber For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (01-05-2011), yelow13 (01-05-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

who cares. we'll all get the iphone 5 when it comes out regardless lol. actually i'll wait to get one until the JB comes out for it so I don't have to wait a painful 3 months of apple jail time lol.

I hope verizon does get the iphone so I can finally make a freakin phone call on at&t's pathetic excuse for network coverage. who knows maybe i'll actually have service at my own house for once too! that would be amazing!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I would vote almost certainly the CDMA version of the iPhone 4. Too early for a production version of the next gen iPhone IMO.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

midgetwithatophat (01-06-2011), reyg25atx (01-05-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Keep an eye out for the 8th gen iPhone with complimentary solar panel hat charger. It's rumored to be current iPod nano size and support cloning.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I bet these steel bands are the prototypes for the current iPhone we have now. Seems daft that given the public outcry about the signal issue, apple would stick to a design that looks like it will probably suffer from again!

I hope they keep a similar design to now but get rid off those horrible eyesore black antenna strips, man. I think the overall design is beautiful APART from those strips.

Thanks

I don't even see a difference between this and the iPhone 4
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

I think they have resolved the signal issue since they are not giving away free cases and i just got an iphone 4 for christmas and have noticed no problems with signal in fact its actually better than my old iphone 3g's signal but these are probably minor improvments to make sure that the "antennagate" problem wont happen with early models of this iphone either. I think the next iphone might have a better facetime cam, more ram (if it really necessary?), maybe some graphics improvements, 4G support, and iOS 5 will take care of the rest.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree. I'm thinking 1 gig of ram as opposed to the 512 MB that's in the iPhone 4 plus a few other tweaks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purplemonkeyspank View Post
    I bet these steel bands are the prototypes for the current iPhone we have now. Seems daft that given the public outcry about the signal issue, apple would stick to a design that looks like it will probably suffer from again!

I hope they keep a similar design to now but get rid off those horrible eyesore black antenna strips, man. I think the overall design is beautiful APART from those strips.
    i dont think you can remove the strips since they seperate the antenna bands and making one single band for all the different signals would just be impossible, all apple can do is either make a new design or simply change the position (and shape i guess) of the bands thus putting different strips in different places to seperate the new position of the bands which is what this iphone seems to be showing. But who knows this may just be bullsh*t!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You are all wrong with the name it's iPhone 4gs jaja

iPhone? More like MyPhone red_zone's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe this will simply be a REVISION of the iPhone 4 so people that are too lazy to get a case (or dont want to spend money on a case) will stop complaining about the antenna issue? The frame looks extremely similar, except for the metal band that runs around the phone. Did anyone ever think that THAT could be a possibility?!
    Last edited by red_zone; 01-05-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    GEOHOT VS. SONY- A FREAKING EPIC BLOG

iHack iDevices

PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast