+ Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: @comex To Wait Until 4.3 For Untether?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Carvensno I'm already thinking of getting a android phone, at least Google doesn't care if you change roms, its all open except for what the carriers add
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I'm already thinking of getting a android phone, at least Google doesn't care if you change roms, its all open except for what the carriers add to it. Only thing right now that's stopping me is that CES is here and see whats coming to the market soon
    Rooting/Custom Rom on an android device is the same as jailbreaking an iPhone, as far as voiding your warranty is concerned.

You must return the device back to original form, or else the manufacture warranty will be void.

In fact i've heard of ways for google to tell if a nexus was EVER rooted, even after flashing back the original software.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    I love hear the fanboiz parroting the "open" crap yet have no idea what they're talking about. :
    THAAAAANK YOU!, i swear 90% of the android fanboys can't afford an iPhone or have never used an android device.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 01-03-2011 at 05:39 PM.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (01-03-2011), Snozberries (01-04-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 672 Posts

I have the Nexus S and it pales in comparison to the iP4. Its definitely a nice phone but its still no close to Apple's best. And if Android is so "open," why do you have have to root to install said ROMs? I love hear the fanboiz parroting the "open" crap yet have no idea what they're talking about. :
    My understanding of the "rooting" is because of the carriers att,sprint,t-mobile and etc.... not because of Google. That's from my understanding from my friend that has a EVO 4G. The rooting isn't hard either and loading the roms. I have seen my friend do his EVO many times trying different roms and roms from other carriers too. pretty cool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    I don't see Comex saying that he is waiting for 4.3. What I do see is a response that is exactly what the requester asked for, "a short and direct answer". If Comex were to have elaborated on his response, it would probably have been something like "I'm aiming for 4.2.1, but if Apple happens to release 4.3 before I finish the untether, then I suppose it would make more sense to release an untether for 4.3 instead of 4.2.1."
    That's how I read it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is it me, or are we always "waiting for 4.xxx" to come out before a "jailbreak" is released? Here's what's been going on... we wait for 4.xx, it comes out, we get word that we have to wait for the bugs to kink out, and we wait, we wait, we wait...

Meanwhile, Apple says it's coming out with 4.xx.1, and then we wait again, and again, and again...

It's a circle. Last known good jailbreak was blackra1n. After that, nothing easy and good has been released.

Sorry for my venting. I've been waiting very patiently for months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coqui258 View Post
    Is it me, or are we always "waiting for 4.xxx" to come out before a "jailbreak" is released? Here's what's been going on... we wait for 4.xx, it comes out, we get word that we have to wait for the bugs to kink out, and we wait, we wait, we wait...

Meanwhile, Apple says it's coming out with 4.xx.1, and then we wait again, and again, and again...

It's a circle. Last known good jailbreak was blackra1n. After that, nothing easy and good has been released.

Sorry for my venting. I've been waiting very patiently for months.
    Wait what? What about the new jailbreakme.com? All you had to do was go to the site on your device and move a damn slider!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    My understanding of the "rooting" is because of the carriers att,sprint,t-mobile and etc.... not because of Google. That's from my understanding from my friend that has a EVO 4G. The rooting isn't hard either and loading the roms. I have seen my friend do his EVO many times trying different roms and roms from other carriers too. pretty cool.
    Jailbreaking is just as easy and in most cases easier (blackra1n, jailbreakme etc.). Ease of use has nothing to do with "openness."

And your friend is ignorant if that's his understanding of it. It has nothing to do with carriers. You can buy an unlocked Nexus S (like mine) or Nexus One that has absolutely virgin Android and still need to root. Only time rooting has anything to do with the carriers is if you want to delete the bloatware 99% of Android devices come preloaded with (carrier specific in most cases).

Green Apple
    Thanks

The only people waiting right now are current device holders who require untethered. Of those people, mac owning developers are beta testing the new jailbreak monte beta. AFAIK, the only thing needing to be fixed on that is Skype. Well, I suppose that's an issue because if a final release goes out, then MuscleNerd's fear of pirated developer firmware will be a reality. What a mess lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am still on the 4.01 jailbreakme. I was waiting for the 4.1 to be stable and just never ended up updating.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 672 Posts

Jailbreaking is just as easy and in most cases easier (blackra1n, jailbreakme etc.). Ease of use has nothing to do with "openness."

And your friend is ignorant if that's his understanding of it. It has nothing to do with carriers. You can buy an unlocked Nexus S (like mine) or Nexus One that has absolutely virgin Android and still need to root. Only time rooting has anything to do with the carriers is if you want to delete the bloatware 99% of Android devices come preloaded with (carrier specific in most cases).
    my point is with android phone's your not waiting for months to for someone to come out with a program to root your phone and you don't have Google patching there OS to keep people from rooting there phones either.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, you're right... it was pretty easy. But that was back in 4.0 days. We're at 4.2 now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coqui258 View Post
    Yeah, you're right... it was pretty easy. But that was back in 4.0 days. We're at 4.2 now.
    I guess the bright side is Boot-ROM exploits can't be broken by an iTunes update or something stupid, even if you do have to go into DFU mode to gain vulnerability.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have the Nexus S and it pales in comparison to the iP4. Its definitely a nice phone but its still no close to Apple's best. And if Android is so "open," why do you have have to root to install said ROMs? I love hear the fanboiz parroting the "open" crap yet have no idea what they're talking about. :
    That is the dumbest thing i've ever read. "Rooting" is for installing Roms (firmware) that was not intended to run on the device. No Android user ever had to "root" their phone to use a wallpaper, or change an sms tone. Compared to iOS, Android is "OPEN".
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,101 Times in 6,940 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    That is the dumbest thing i've ever read. "Rooting" is for installing Roms (firmware) that was not intended to run on the device. No Android user ever had to "root" their phone to use a wallpaper, or change an sms tone. Compared to iOS, Android is "OPEN".
    Rooting is not just for installing custom roms. You can root an android device just to have superuser status to do system tweaks that would otherwise not be allowed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    The dumbest thing I ever read was "Is the wind caused by the movement of tree branches? Every time the branches move the wind blows.".

iPhone? More like MyPhone xXDrizzyyXx's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally I'm quite content with 4.1
    4.2.1 doesn't have any major updates that interest me.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Banned
    Thanks

I am for the first time on the waiting list. i was still on 4.1 and happily content. then i cracked the phone. good news is i got the applestore to replace it, but instead of just replacing the glass they gave me a whole new phone! I was pretty surprised and wasnt about to argue. Now i have a new device with 4.2.1. Bummer. Yes I can do the tethered but it was giving me fits. cydia app and safari app wouldnt work, id get it working then install my must have apps from cydia, reboot, re-jb, install, reboot, re-jb, install, reboot, re-jb etc etc. so i said forget it and now patiently wait.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, that's about as far from my interpretation of Comex's reply as possible. He'll release it when it's ready.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Wow, that's about as far from my interpretation of Comex's reply as possible. He'll release it when it's ready.
    +1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have iphone 4 at 4.1 (8b117)What should I use to JB? Can I JB? Or should I update and wait for 4.3 JB that's been talked about maybe coming out in a while?

Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Not exactly thrilled about this, but it was what I predicted once we all heard that 4.3 was going to be released.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast