Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Nielsen: Apple Barely Leads Android, BlackBerry in Smartphone Market Share

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,779
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

    Default Nielsen: Apple Barely Leads Android, BlackBerry in Smartphone Market Share


    According to the latest numbers from Nielsen, Apple is clinging to a small lead over Android and BlackBerry in terms of smartphone market share in the United States. Based on November's data, the "race" for smartphone supremacy is - by Nielsen's own acknowledgment - "tighter than it has ever been."

    Although the popularity of the Android OS among those who purchased a smartphone in the last six months (40%) makes it the leading OS among recent acquirers, the big picture still portrays Apple in the narrowest of leads. As of the latest data, Apple's iOS is clinging to the top spot with 28.6% of the smartphone operating system market share in the US. It should be noted, however, that RIM's BlackBerry operating system, which places second overall with 26.1% of the market share, is also within the margin of error for both first and third places. Google's Android is third, capturing 25.8% of the market. Using Nielsen's words yet again, "RIM remains statistically tied with both Apple for first and Android for third. Apple's clear lead over Android notwithstanding, this race might still be too close to call."

    Despite bold predictions from the involved parties and outside market analysts, it may prove unlikely that this close race will open up any time soon. Instead, as 2011 progresses and the smartphone makers roll out new models of their hottest handsets, the "tight race" referenced may just get a whole lot tighter.

    To read the full Nielsen report, click here.

    Nielsen

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

    DRFP (01-04-2011)

  3. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts

    Love Apple but glad they've got competition...better for the consumer.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    Love Apple but glad they've got competition...better for the consumer.

    i agree. that should lead apple to improve their iphone more.

  5. #4

  6. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Default iPhone's market share AMAZING!
    Apple's iPhone is still number one despite itself. Consider this...

    In 2010, how many phones were released with the Android OS? 66
    All Android Phones of 2010

    In 2010, how many phones were release with the Apple iOS?
    One

    How many major wireless providers have Android based phones?
    ALL

    How many major wireless providers have Apple iOS phones?
    One (the worst provider - AT&T)

    Let's not forget that iPhone is far more expensive than most Android phones and Apple maintains it's tight grip around app developers.

    So why is iPhone still #1? Because it's simply the best phone using the best technology. Much like Windows is a cheap ripoff of the MacOS - other smart phones just steal all the brilliant ideas that Apple's R&D come up with. If it's wasn't for Apple, we'd all probably still have bulky, hard-to-use Blackberrys.

    That being said, ultimately, Apple's iPhone will be the Macintosh computer of the smart phone world. They just can't compete with the shear number of phones and services that Android is available on... not to mention the price.

    But that's ok. In the end, not everyone can drive a BMW and not everyone will have an iPhone.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jebakerii For This Useful Post:

    ClerkDante (01-03-2011), quidam_brujah (01-04-2011)

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jebakerii View Post

    Let's not forget that iPhone is far more expensive than most Android phones
    So? The most popular android phones cost as much if not more then the iphone.

    So why is iPhone still #1? Because it's simply the best phone using the best technology.
    oh god, I understand this is a Apple device dedicated website, but you're ignorance is only overshadowed by your fanboyism.

    Much like Windows is a cheap ripoff of the MacOS - other smart phones just steal all the brilliant ideas that Apple's R&D come up with. If it's wasn't for Apple, we'd all probably still have bulky, hard-to-use Blackberrys.
    Or like how macbooks are a cheap ripoffs of Sony Vaios right?

    Simply put, your a troll and I decided to feed you.

  9. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Default Mr Sunshine posts like Mr Clueless
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.sunshine View Post
    So? The most popular android phones cost as much if not more then the iphone.



    oh god, I understand this is a Apple device dedicated website, but you're ignorance is only overshadowed by your fanboyism.



    Or like how macbooks are a cheap ripoffs of Sony Vaios right?

    Simply put, your a troll and I decided to feed you.
    Really? This has to be one of the most idiotic responses I've seen. Ha ha! You should at least know what you're talking about before you trash talk.

    First - How much the MOST expensive Android phone cost has NOTHING to do with the topic. The point is that there are PLENTY of cheap or free Android based phones that make it difficult for iPhone to compete in our fiscally challenged economy.

    Second - I absolutely am a Apple fan. DUH! But that doesn't change the fact that iPhone continues to be the cutting edge, high-end smart phone. If you did any research before you posted your ignorant comments, you'd know that. I don't have the time to walk you through the technology that went into the iPhone 4. Maybe look into the A4 processor, retina display, up to 64gb of storage (Droid has 8), best lithium-ion battery on market or even the ultra-strong glass used for the screen that's used on Japanese bullet trains.

    Third - MacBooks are ripoff of Sony Vaio? Dude, you are so clueless that I can't even respond to this comment. It doesn't even make any sense. Again, just read up on operating system history a little bit. Going all the way back to the 1990s, MacOS came up with a feature and 2-3 years later, Windows copied it.

    Even Windows 7 (which I like) is heavily stolen from MacOS. Here's a list on a PC website of 10 new Window 7 features that were stolen from MacOSX : 10 features Windows stole from Mac OS News - PC Advisor

    I'll be the first to say iPhone 4/iOS is far from perfect. And I'm not ripping on anyone who uses Windows 7 or Android phones - I like them both. In fact, I run both OSX and Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro just to use Office for Windows 7 because it's WAY better than the MacOS version. But you should really give props to Apple's R&D for greatly contributing to what those systems are today.

    Oh... and I'm pretty sure a "troll" is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic messages. I believe, Mr Sunshine, in this case... that would be you!

  10. #8
    An annual handset on one carrier vs weekly handsets on every carrier.

    Pretty impressive Apple's even in the mix, let alone leading it.

  11. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    835
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    An annual handset on one carrier vs weekly handsets on every carrier.

    Pretty impressive Apple's even in the mix, let alone leading it.
    thats what i was thinking since they came out of no where compared to these other brands
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

  12. #10
    Was thinking same thing clerkdante just said. What happens when iPhone does expand to other carriers? It's gonna break android and rims hearts I think? Only time will truly tell.

  13. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southampton, NJ
    Posts
    296
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Aliquippakid View Post
    What happens when iPhone does expand to other carriers? It's gonna break android and rims hearts I think?
    Agreed. BUT, Android comes up with some bangin deals... Someone I work with just got like 4 Android phones for her whole family for buns cheap. Like $200. They're not Xs or anything, but still... You sure can't do that with an iPhone.

    I'm still taking the iPhone blindly over Droid, though.

  14. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    I honestly think that people are overestimating the whole iPhone being currently locked to ATT thing. I really don't think overall sales are going to grow leaps and bounds when another carrier (or two) is thrown into the mix. IMHO the vast majority (notice I didn;t say all... for the people planning on quoting me and calling me names) of people that want an iPhone have an iPhone. The carrier lock is more of a nuisance than a road block for most. Let's also not dismiss the fact that plenty of people claim that they will jump ship from ATT and go with another carrier if/when they can. For all intents and purposes those "new" customers don;t truly do anything to the numbers.

    FWIW, saying that Android has multiple handset releases yearly versus Apple's one isn't really saying much, other than that Apple may have to up the ante in the future and do more than their once a year update. Not once did I hear it be mentioned that iOS is almost twice as old as Android (as far as availability to the public). But... people will say almost anything to protect their beloved Apple.

    The simple fact is that people are opening their eyes to the android platform as it gets more and more polished. The fact that there is a company going nearly neck and neck with Apple (who has pretty much been considered the dominating smart phone manufacturer) is quite exciting IMO. I am sure there will be plenty of fun new treats in store for iOS and Android users alike as a result!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-03-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  15. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Android is finally turning into a decent OS so this is no surprise. I would like to see the chart though once Verizon gets the iPhone. It will change dramatically.

  16. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    AT&T is awesome where I am at. I don't see /that/ many people having an issue with it. And the new Nexus costs the same as the 16gb i4

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Agreed. BUT, Android comes up with some bangin deals... Someone I work with just got like 4 Android phones for her whole family for buns cheap. Like $200. They're not Xs or anything, but still... You sure can't do that with an iPhone.

    I'm still taking the iPhone blindly over Droid, though.
    That's the only way droid is selling these days and picking up new customers by basically giving away their phones or am I the only one that notices that, they are trying to lock down as Many customers as they can before the iPhone goes to verizon


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  18. #16
    iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    198
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

    There are sooooo many freaking devices with android on them though. I mean this really just shows how popular apple is.
    my SPOON is too big

  19. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I honestly think that people are overestimating the whole iPhone being currently locked to ATT thing. I really don't think overall sales are going to grow leaps and bounds when another carrier (or two) is thrown into the mix. IMHO the vast majority (notice I didn;t say all... for the people planning on quoting me and calling me names) of people that want an iPhone have an iPhone. The carrier lock is more of a nuisance than a road block for most. Let's also not dismiss the fact that plenty of people claim that they will jump ship from ATT and go with another carrier if/when they can. For all intents and purposes those "new" customers don;t truly do anything to the numbers.

    FWIW, saying that Android has multiple handset releases yearly versus Apple's one isn't really saying much, other than that Apple may have to up the ante in the future and do more than their once a year update. Not once did I hear it be mentioned that iOS is almost twice as old as Android (as far as availability to the public). But... people will say almost anything to protect their beloved Apple.

    The simple fact is that people are opening their eyes to the android platform as it gets more and more polished. The fact that there is a company going nearly neck and neck with Apple (who has pretty much been considered the dominating smart phone manufacturer) is quite exciting IMO. I am sure there will be plenty of fun new treats in store for iOS and Android users alike as a result!

    Not gonna call u names but u r drinking something. 4 phones over 3 years on obe carrier versus how many android phones over all carriers still leads the pack. Are you joking that's impressive as hell if droid was locked to one carrier they wouldn't even be in this discussion. Now add iPhone and iOS to verizon and even people dont jump ship they will still sell millions and take even more marketshare from RIM and android that's just plain common sense. The competition part is true but It won't be so much conpetitive without major innovations from droid and RIM once apple expands over to other carriers in the US.

    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyinot

  20. #18
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    Not gonna call u names but u r drinking something. 4 phones over 3 years on obe carrier versus how many android phones over all carriers still leads the pack. Are you joking that's impressive as hell if droid was locked to one carrier they wouldn't even be in this discussion. Now add iPhone and iOS to verizon and even people dont jump ship they will still sell millions and take even more marketshare from RIM and android that's just plain common sense. The competition part is true but It won't be so much conpetitive without major innovations from droid and RIM once apple expands over to other carriers in the US.

    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyinot
    I suppose we will just have to wait and see. I am sure more phones will sell on other carriers, but that is not what I am saying. People here think Android wouldn't have a chance as soon as other carriers get the iphone, and I don't think this is the case. Like I said, I BELIEVE that the majority of people that want the phone have the phone. And I agree. Putting android on virtually all carriers was a smart busniess move by Google. It allowed for a VERY rapid growth, and with the current improvements and improvements that are geared for the future, I don't see this train stopping any time soon. My point is, why defend Apple by stating they only make one phone per year? If Android makes it to the top, and it's because they had many phones out there, all that means is that Google had the better business plan. Simple as that.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-03-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  21. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If Android makes it to the top, and it's because they had many phones out there, all that means is that Google had the better business plan. Simple as that.
    It depends on what you consider "the top". Having more free phones with your free OS on them may put you at the top of charts like this one, but charts like this one are, well, meaningless. Just ask Motorola.

    The better business model is the one that generates the most revenue and in the "smartphone" world that's Apple by a pretty massive margin.

    Data can be skewed in a number of ways. Just as easily this data is skewed to make it look like a tight race, if one were to, say make a pretty little chart of "revenue per handset release" the disparity would be enormous.
    Last edited by ClerkDante; 01-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to ClerkDante For This Useful Post:

    quidam_brujah (01-04-2011)

  23. #20
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    It depends on what you consider "the top". Having more free phones with your free OS on them may put you at the top of charts like this one, but charts like this one are, well, meaningless. Just ask Motorola.

    The better business model is the one that generates the most revenue and in the "smartphone" world that's Apple by a pretty massive margin. Data can be skewed in a number of ways. Just as easily this data is skewed to make it look like a tight race, if one were to, say make a pretty little chart of "revenue per handset release" the disparity would be enormous.

    Google brings in the money through revenue sharing, limited exclusivity deals, etc. So everything being "free" around the board isn;t necessarily a bad thing. "Free" phones are also simply fully subsidized phones, so they aren't truly "free", at least not the way you are using the term. The difference with Apple is they make their cash as soon as you buy the phone, whereas Google makes it over the life of the handset. The free handset versus the $200 handset has the same opportunity to bring in this revenue over its lifetime. I would love to see a link to some data showing how Apple's revenue in the smartphone world is vastly above that of Google. I can honestly say I haven't seen data like this, but am always willing to learn
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-03-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •