Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nielsen: Apple Barely Leads Android, BlackBerry in Smartphone Market Share

The thing is Blackberrys are ugly and Android has major holes in their OS, so iPhone is the only option
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Yeah I hate to sound biased as an Iphone user but I agree with the posters who are trying to look at the broad side of things. It's true, android is getting a bigger user base than ever, but consider the devices. I'd like to see a chart that compares quality and functionality (processor, ram, other hardware capabilities) as it compares sheer numbers. That would give a little indication of what's really going on. My roommate chose android over iphone and now he has the Samsung Moment. Yes it's a smartphone, and yes it's an android, but it's physically weak and unimpressive.

Android is attractive in some ways, like bigger screens and hard keyboards. But the unified design of ios devices (by type) provides a consistent user experience. And I can use any app in the app store; I don't have to be limited to what's designed for the hardware specs of my device.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkengine View Post
    Yeah I hate to sound biased as an Iphone user but I agree with the posters who are trying to look at the broad side of things. It's true, android is getting a bigger user base than ever, but consider the devices. I'd like to see a chart that compares quality and functionality (processor, ram, other hardware capabilities) as it compares sheer numbers. That would give a little indication of what's really going on. My roommate chose android over iphone and now he has the Samsung Moment. Yes it's a smartphone, and yes it's an android, but it's physically weak and unimpressive.

Android is attractive in some ways, like bigger screens and hard keyboards. But the unified design of ios devices (by type) provides a consistent user experience. And I can use any app in the app store; I don't have to be limited to what's designed for the hardware specs of my device.
    The thing is, the "competition" here isn't who has the better hardware. If that was the case, Android would be in trouble, because it can literally be on a slew of different hardwares (and let;s not mention the fact that none of the handset manufacturers want to license gpu acceleratd graphics). Android's success is that it doesn't HAVE to be the best of the best, because some people don't need that. It bridges the gap between the feature phone and the smartphone that no other phone OS really did (it gives you more choices). I think too many people are viewing this as a "which is better" thing. Sales numbers are not based on which is better, unless of course the pricing between the competitiors is exactly the same across the board, which clearly isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    The thing is Blackberrys are ugly and Android has major holes in their OS, so iPhone is the only option
    What are these major holes? Just curious.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-03-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

I think... if anyone cares;

We're only years away from Android having a very noticeable lead over apple, and it's for reasons such as 100 android devices (70-500) vs 1 ios device (500-600).

BUT....!

That's what's always made apple products soo good, being the swanky, more expensive, better made and pure quality alternative.

More attention will bring more problems, or at least make the same problems look worse.

I want Android to win,

And I will continue to use iPhones even when they do.

Rather a Apple fanboy than a Google sheep.

People just need to give other OS's a chance!! Sure iOS is dominating but why can't we just have different tastes for everyone else!! Not everyone likes the nintendo wii which is why we have ps3's and 360's, no difference on the phone side! I have a Samsung galaxy s phone and the iPhone 4 and they're both great! Phones. I use my galaxy s as much as I use the iPhone 4! People that don't really know anything about android should really look and research it before they start talking bad about it. Android is about customizing your phone the way you want it to be, sure the iPhone can do the same thing " if you jailbreak " but not everyone is going to jailbreak their phone! Android doesn't need to be " rooted " to customize the phone even tho you get more benefits with root access. You can install custom Roms on Android, can you with iOS? Nope, besides the ones you create to have Cydia in! I love both OS's. The clean Fresh look of iOS and the power to customize without jailbreaking or " rooting " of Android.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toytbo88 View Post
    People that don't really know anything about android should really look and research it before they start talking bad about it.
    Yeah, but it's so much easier to be blindly biased. It requires almost no work on my part...

Yeah but unfortunately not everyone has the brain that we have when it comes to jailbreaking! I know a lot of people who i always ask " how come you don't jailbreak " and they tell me they're scared to mess up their phones or apple voiding their warranty. I know that if I ever mess up my i4 I'll just store to stock firmware and take it back, but like I said the point is with android you can do pretty much anything you want, sure jailbreaking an iPhone is easy specially with geohot tools which are mainly 1 click jailbreaks. That's not the point tho, we are talking about being able to customize your phone without the need of jailbreaking which is where android kicks apples ***

Lol, my bad man I thought you were talking about jailbreaking!!
    Last edited by toytbo88; 01-03-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

One phone on one carrier whipping the rest of the phones arses.

"barely" is a B.S. cop out for "OMG that's insane"
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Its unbelievable that Apple is in the picture at all. They have one handset on one network. Android and BB have dozens of each on all networks. The fact that Apple is even on this list at all (let alone at the top) means they're kicking ***** and taking names.

BB and Android to pay Apple or Verizon to prevent that marriage because once that happens, they're both gonna be afterthoughts.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

If Android had all the decent App Store apps, there would be no point in buying the iPhone but that's not the case.

Give Android a few more updates and more apps in the Market, it'll be better than the iPhone. With Android you get more choices as well.

I'm getting bored of the iPhone ugly grey white UI and the themes in Cydia are mostly crap or 99% of them are themes that change the icons and I think the stock icons are the best.

A high end Android 2.2 phone and an iPod Touch is the best solution, best of both worlds.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Quote Originally Posted by jebakerii View Post

Let's not forget that iPhone is far more expensive than most Android phones
    So? The most popular android phones cost as much if not more then the iphone.

So why is iPhone still #1? Because it's simply the best phone using the best technology.
    oh god, I understand this is a Apple device dedicated website, but you're ignorance is only overshadowed by your fanboyism.

Much like Windows is a cheap ripoff of the MacOS - other smart phones just steal all the brilliant ideas that Apple's R&D come up with. If it's wasn't for Apple, we'd all probably still have bulky, hard-to-use Blackberrys.
    Or like how macbooks are a cheap ripoffs of Sony Vaios right?

Simply put, your a troll and I decided to feed you.

Actually, he's right, mr. frothy. Win is a rip of mac. Read a wiki or watch pirates of silicon valley. You're the one who sounds like a troll slinging insults at everyone you disagree with.

I enjoy reading these post over this debate! I'm pretty sure Apple will indeed grasp firm control when Verizon gets the iPhone. Androids OS is on 50 plus handsets and on every network, against iOS one handset, one network. So what would Androids numbers be like if they had one handset and on one network. I know it wouldn't be even close to the iPhone numbers. Android is going to have to almost give there handsets away once Verizon gets the iPhone.
    And why do people have to take jabs at AT&T? It's great where I live!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickaroni22 For This Useful Post:

DRFP (01-04-2011), Jahooba (01-04-2011)

Thanks

I'm waiting impatiently for Google Android 3.0 Honeycomb driven pad.
    Then I could put my iPad to the ebay/shed/whatever.

Interesting figures but they don't mean much, really. Apple as a company is flourishing. They make like 55% profit on everything they sell, which is insane. And all these numbers concerning Android take into account ALL Android phones -- any single company isn't even a candle to Apple's market share and profitability.

RIM, now I can't explain that one. I guess business people are still hooked on the Blackberry. I think companies buy them for their employees because they're cheap, I know that's why my dad has one - he doesn't have a choice. Not that I would recommend Apple to him otherwise, 'cause the iPhone is a poor business phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickaroni22 View Post
    I enjoy reading these post over this debate! I'm pretty sure Apple will indeed grasp firm control when Verizon gets the iPhone. Androids OS is on 50 plus handsets and on every network, against iOS one handset, one network. So what would Androids numbers be like if they had one handset and on one network. I know it wouldn't be even close to the iPhone numbers. Android is going to have to almost give there handsets away once Verizon gets the iPhone.
    And why do people have to take jabs at AT&T? It's great where I live!
    Yeah, you're right. Once Verizon gets the iPhone there are going to be people camping outside the Verizon Store, which I don't think has ever happened in all their history.

Android is going to have to seriously drop their prices to compete with the iPhone at that point.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 01-04-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yes, Steve asked Bill to come by to see his new os. Bill brought along some cohorts with the specific order to watch and assimilate, and learn. They didn;t copy any of the software or directly steal anything. But they ripped Job's GUI style completely. That was Bill's plan, to one up Steve in the GUI department.
    PS: DOS and BASIC are two completely separate systems. If you knew that, I'd believe your story about programming in BASIC before windows came out. But for now, I don't! See, I WAS programming in BASIC before windows came out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Mr Sunshine posts like Mr Clueless
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.sunshine View Post
    So? The most popular android phones cost as much if not more then the iphone.

oh god, I understand this is a Apple device dedicated website, but you're ignorance is only overshadowed by your fanboyism.

Or like how macbooks are a cheap ripoffs of Sony Vaios right?

Simply put, your a troll and I decided to feed you.
    Really? This has to be one of the most idiotic responses I've seen. Ha ha! You should at least know what you're talking about before you trash talk.

First - How much the MOST expensive Android phone cost has NOTHING to do with the topic. The point is that there are PLENTY of cheap or free Android based phones that make it difficult for iPhone to compete in our fiscally challenged economy.

Second - I absolutely am a Apple fan. DUH! But that doesn't change the fact that iPhone continues to be the cutting edge, high-end smart phone. If you did any research before you posted your ignorant comments, you'd know that. I don't have the time to walk you through the technology that went into the iPhone 4. Maybe look into the A4 processor, retina display, up to 64gb of storage (Droid has 8), best lithium-ion battery on market or even the ultra-strong glass used for the screen that's used on Japanese bullet trains.

Third - MacBooks are ripoff of Sony Vaio? Dude, you are so clueless that I can't even respond to this comment. It doesn't even make any sense. Again, just read up on operating system history a little bit. Going all the way back to the 1990s, MacOS came up with a feature and 2-3 years later, Windows copied it.

Even Windows 7 (which I like) is heavily stolen from MacOS. Here's a list on a PC website of 10 new Window 7 features that were stolen from MacOSX : 10 features Windows stole from Mac OS News - PC Advisor

I'll be the first to say iPhone 4/iOS is far from perfect. And I'm not ripping on anyone who uses Windows 7 or Android phones - I like them both. In fact, I run both OSX and Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro just to use Office for Windows 7 because it's WAY better than the MacOS version. But you should really give props to Apple's R&D for greatly contributing to what those systems are today.

Oh... and I'm pretty sure a "troll" is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic messages. I believe, Mr Sunshine, in this case... that would be you!

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I honestly think that people are overestimating the whole iPhone being currently locked to ATT thing. I really don't think overall sales are going to grow leaps and bounds when another carrier (or two) is thrown into the mix. IMHO the vast majority (notice I didn;t say all... for the people planning on quoting me and calling me names) of people that want an iPhone have an iPhone. The carrier lock is more of a nuisance than a road block for most. Let's also not dismiss the fact that plenty of people claim that they will jump ship from ATT and go with another carrier if/when they can. For all intents and purposes those "new" customers don;t truly do anything to the numbers.
    I disagree. I have a number of family members, young and old, tech savvy and not, who are dedicated to their provider of choice (not AT&T) and would like the iPhone to be available to them. The non-tech savvy (the 'vast majority') have no idea what a carrier lock is much less how to unlock. They only know that they can't purchase it, or have it work on, their provider.

Google brings in the money through revenue sharing, limited exclusivity deals, etc. So everything being "free" around the board isn;t necessarily a bad thing.
    And it's not clear how much money they make with Android at all.

"Free" phones are also simply fully subsidized phones, so they aren't truly "free", at least not the way you are using the term. The difference with Apple is they make their cash as soon as you buy the phone, whereas Google makes it over the life of the handset. The free handset versus the $200 handset has the same opportunity to bring in this revenue over its lifetime.
    Maybe $1 billion.
    But they are splitting that, so who knows how much they actually make. I wonder if Apple gets a cut of that since they have Google as the 'default' search engine on the iPhone... Search engines are fickle. Remember when Yahoo! was number one? So do they. It's a whole lot easier to make some other search engine your home page than it is to swap handsets or computers.

I would love to see a link to some data showing how Apple's revenue in the smartphone world is vastly above that of Google. I can honestly say I haven't seen data like this, but am always willing to learn
    You can't directly compare the money Google makes to the money that Apple makes based on what you already pointed out: they use different models. Google makes revenue primarily through ads. Apple makes revenue through selling hardware, software, the App Store and iTunes.
    Google had $7.3 billion revenue and $2.17 billion in net income. Apple had $20.34 billion in revenue and $4.31 billion in net income. Apple's biggest chunk is from hardware sales.

Apple is now going into the ad business. They may go into the search engine biz as well. They may not be as big in it as Google is. Yet. But every dollar they take from Google adds up.

I'd say having Verizon and T-Mobile selling their phones and iPads will make a big difference.

Course, that's just my opinion.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I fusking hate the iAds. Considering that apple is still leading despite the release of android on every major carrier including at&t I don't think apple is too worried about android. There are still lots of bugs in android, versions aren't always the same taking into consideration the phone manufacturer and their custom android themes, and the fact that for the most part apple approved apps run 10x better due to having to be approved.

Couple all of that with the same hardware for every carrier setup and you have a pretty formidable force.

Have any of you bought an android phone just to realize there is a better version available on another carrier or have you taken it home and posted about your brand new phone just to read responses of newer, better, and same priced phones coming out on that carrier that you are now locked into a 2-year contract with?

With apple at least you know what you are getting and you know how long you will have it unt the next version comes out so you can make probably the most well-thought out decision you could with all the information you have.

Well Guys,

Taste is one thing that is not for discussion, until now I had Iphone and my last one was a 3GS and of course I took a look at Iphone 4 as well, but since I started to use My HTC desire I have no missing from Iphone, no more jailbreak problems, no more unlock problems I can install everything on my phone and the speed and graphics is as nicest as Iphone4, and Im not counting here about the advantages of Google applications for my HTC that is no available for iphone including Navigation, latitude etc, etc, etc,, so as I sad taste is not for discussion you like or you hate it and Im loving my HTC, ah!! Im forgetting the navigation (Igo, Ndrive, Sygic, Navigon, etc.,)is the best that I ever had until now.

Regards from ex-Iphone user and no missing it..and my Phone is Mine, Apple not put their nose telling me what install and what not install on it..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast