+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "One-Click" Tethered JB With redsn0w 0.9.6rc7

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
While we all wait for an untethered jailbreak solution, the Dev-Team has updated redsn0w with a " one-click " option for the tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak. Rather than the multiple screens
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "One-Click" Tethered JB With redsn0w 0.9.6rc7

While we all wait for an untethered jailbreak solution, the Dev-Team has updated redsn0w with a "one-click" option for the tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak. Rather than the multiple screens you normally see, you can now use redsn0w on the command line to "Just boot tethered for now."

There are currently two major efforts towards an untethered jailbreak. The "jailbreak monte" backup plan is still in beta, and is only available to developers who have access to the 4.2 beta 3 build. While that is underway, @comex is working on the 4.2.1 untether and making good progress (even if slower than many of us would like). So since we're kind of stuck with the current stet of affairs for the immediate future, the Dev-Team added some command-line options to simplify the process.

You need to just specify redsn0w by location and run the appropriate arguments for your setup:

-j to ask redsn0w to "Just boot now"
    -i [filename] to specify your reference IPSW
    -o for old-bootrom iPod touch 2G and iPhone 3GS
    -b [filename] to specify your own boot logo png

For example, if redsn0w for Mac and your IPSW are on the Desktop, you would use the following command to do a tethered boot of an iPod touch 4G jailbroken at 4.2.1:

Code:
    open ~/Desktop/redsn0w.app --args -j -i ~/Desktop/iPod4,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw
    The zipfiles for redsn0w 0.9.6rc7 [Mac] [Windows] include a script file that lets you double click to launch redsn0w with the above parameters. You can create custom *.command files for your particular configuration, but Mac users should remember to make them executable with chmod +x. Windows 7/Vista users should run redsn0w as Administrator in "XP Compatibility" mode.

Source: Dev-Team Blog
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 01-03-2011 at 10:19 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

meh. After you do the initial update and install winterboard there's never a need to boot cycle so this seems trivial. Takes just as much time to type in the command line stuff than it would to find the firmware in Finder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

iFrosty (01-03-2011), Lewisloon (04-11-2011)

Thanks

So true.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    meh. After you do the initial update and install winterboard there's never a need to boot cycle so this seems trivial. Takes just as much time to type in the command line stuff than it would to find the firmware in Finder.
    You make executable scripts with your specific needs. Once its setup, its definitely a time saver.

I would never keep a phone tethered, but my iPad and iPod are tethered atm, since i mainly use those for entertainment, i run the battery out almost every time.

Its easier to just click one file on the desktop, rather than going through the entire redsn0w process. Plus it's much easier for those who aren't into the jailbreak scene.

Either way, i'm sorry for anyone with a tethered phone.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 01-03-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

One-click via cli... Revolutionary :P

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

agreed

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

meh. After you do the initial update and install winterboard there's never a need to boot cycle so this seems trivial.
    Never a need to boot cycle? Help me understand.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,871 Times in 6,897 Posts

Timesaver for sure. But not exactly for the everyday user.

Thanks

Seeing as one of the places I do work for is the local hospital I have to shut my iphone off every time I enter certain areas and not having an untethered JB sucks. I'm still at 4.1 like a lot of the community and will be extremely happy and grateful when the new untethered JB arrives.

Do Dev-Team Go! Go Comex Go! Go "whoever the hell can get this done" Go!

Until then I'll sit patiently waiting and cheering for them all. Grateful I have a working iphone with the JB features I need.

Thanks

Good things come to those who wait

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Agree. I can't remember the last time I had to reboot my iPad besides the updates from the initial jailbreak

Keep doing your thing @comex
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EskimoRuler For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011), Poseidon79 (01-03-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    Never a need to boot cycle? Help me understand.
    Boot Cyle = power off then power on. All anyone needs to do is respring to free up RAM. A reboot does nothing for the device.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wirehedd View Post
    Until then I'll sit patiently waiting ...
    The former contradicts the latter.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MikePA For This Useful Post:

Amraam (01-03-2011)

Thanks

Seeing as one of the places I do work for is the local hospital I have to shut my iphone off every time I enter certain areas and not having an untethered JB sucks. I'm still at 4.1 like a lot of the community and will be extremely happy and grateful when the new untethered JB arrives.

Until then I'll sit patiently waiting and cheering for them all. Grateful I have a working iphone with the JB features I need.

Random question: Putting the iphone in Airplane Mode wouldn't be an alternative to complete shutdown in the hospital?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think you are the only person I know that has to turn the phone off... in your case, untethered is a must. for 99% is not so important, as mentioned above, people hardly turn the device off, so in those cases, run Redsn0w once in a blue moon is not so bad.

you are not too "stuck" in 4.1 anyways, my wife phone is in 4.1 and has no difference with mines being on 4.2.1, so do not update, not worth losing the ability to reboot any time like u need

Thanks

Exactly. 4.2 was intended for the iPad and doesn't add any new "must have" stuff over 4.1 on an iPhone. I'm still very happy on 4.1 with no intention to upgrade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smile Here are the much need ShortCuts!
    Yeah, the only way that this is really going to be any quicker is if you actually make these command line codes into some sort of shortcut.
    This is exactly what I have done, I have made these codes into shortcuts for tethered iDevices by packaging the commands into .bat files.

All you will need to do is move the entire REDSN0w CONTENTS, AND THE IOS4.2.1 FIRMWARE into your C:/ Drive and these .bat scripts will handle the rest. Simple click whichever bat script applies to the iDevice you are trying to boot.

You can download by clicking here (direct download link)

Thanks

Definitely seems like Apple is winning the "cat & mouse" games when you read articles like this. Instead of an untethered jailbreak/unlock for 4.2, we're reading about how the 4.2 tethered jailbreak is now "better."

The iPhone 4 has been out for 6+ months and there has only been one unlock for it. Seems like Apple really stepped up their game with iOS4 because with 3.x we rarely waited more than a few weeks for JB/unlock.

I'm not complaining, I certainly appreciate all the work the Devs do and I don't for every phone I unlock/jb using their programs. Merely an observation.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm still waiting on the untethered jailbreak. I foolishly upgraded to 4.2 thinking I wasn't going to jailbreak my new iPhone 4. What a big mistake. Now the want to jailbreak consumes me like a dark passenger. Sorry, been watching a lot of Dexter lately.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Westside83uk's Avatar
    Thanks

this work for the ipad then ?